American Empress-11/20/18

Ropa2

This will be our first river cruise for my wife and I.We have been on a number of ocean cruises. We found it fun to chat with people prior to the cruise and then meet them on the boat/ So here goes. We are from Missouri and plan to fly out to Portland on the day before and maybe rent a car and drive up to Mt St. Helen and see the volanco:):):)

• 2 weeks later...

we will be flying into Portland the day before our cruise. Since we can not get on the boat before 3 we will have a half day to spend looking around Portland. Any suggestions on we should see ? It will be our 1st time in Portland. Earlier we had thought about going up to St. Hellen's to see the Volcano but we learned that all of the attractions are shut down in November. . Even the vistitor's center will be closed the day we would be able to go.

• 1 month later...

When we were there in June, our hotel was the Hilton in Vancouver, WA. Very nice hotel. you will do all your ship check in at the hotel. There is a farmer's market right hear the hotel on the Sunday. We truly enjoyed our trip. Pat

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll be quite interested to hear how your trip goes. I have been on the boat's one way trips between Clarkston and Vancouver twice before, going once each way. Now I'm booked next March on the round trip out of Vancouver. I'm particularly interested in the Mt. Hood experience that will be offered and the shore stop in Portland neither of which were offered on the one way cruises.

On 10/19/2018 at 11:45 AM, Ropa2 said:
12 hours ago, Calliope said:

I'll be quite interested to hear how your trip goes. I have been on the boat's one way trips between Clarkston and Vancouver twice before, going once each way. Now I'm booked next March on the round trip out of Vancouver. I'm particularly interested in the Mt. Hood experience that will be offered and the shore stop in Portland neither of which were offered on the one way cruises.

we are on a short cruise not the full one.  We plan on having a great time...will do review....we are going to do the Portland tour which we booked separately before we  go on this river cruise

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All:

Husband and I are getting ready to book a Pacific Northwest cruise on American Express.  Looking at July  28, 2019 Clarkston to Vancouver.

Any suggestions on climate during July vs other dates; included excursions vs paying extra for a possible better experience.  Would appreciate both the positive and negative feedback.

Planning to book Cabin C Deluxe veranda Staterooms.  

Read Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose.  Excellent full history of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.  Looking forward to putting feet on the same ground as they did.

Anyone else planning on a July 2019 cruise?

Also, is it advantageous to book through AAA.?  they said we get more perks through AAA

Edited by JOC2017

• 4 months later...

I realize this is an older thread......but am hoping that someone is still getting notices that might be able to answer a couple of questions.

I have noticed that the HOHO buses/tours get good reviews overall..but am curious what people thought of the premium tours.  Specifically the Multnomah Falls private tour, and the Portland City tour at the end of our cruise. (we go East to West).  Is it advisable to book the premium tours before the cruise, or is it ok to wait till we board to book.  

One person in our group is limited with mobility, and walks with a cane...... is there any issues at any of the ports with getting around....either boarding buses, or walking etc.

Thanks for any information !  

Our cruise is Sept 22, 2019......

Edited by Buck1949