Best night for Chef's Table?

I'll be on the Mariner in December for a 4 night cruise. My husband doesn't want to do the Chef's table but I do so I'm trying to find the best night to sign up by myself. I hear the second night is usually formal night and I don't want to miss getting a little dressed up for dinner with my husband! But how often is the second night not formal night? It looks like we'll be in Nassau until midnight and it seems a little odd they'd do formal night when so many might be on land.

Can anyone weigh in on that? Or any suggestions or reasons why any particular night is better for chef's table? For the record, I really don't care about ports and don't know if I'll get off at all so the port schedule isn't really directly relevant to me.

I would follow Bob's expertise. We were on a cruise that had two port days first followed by 3 sea days. It would make sense to move the formal night to one of the seas days. Nope. It was a port day, the second night.

They sometimes will offer a discount on nights where they have a low number of reservations. Maybe ask and see if they’ll give you a deal? I would expect formal night to be the most popular.

I would follow Bob's expertise. We were on a cruise that had two port days first followed by 3 sea days. It would make sense to move the formal night to one of the seas days. Nope. It was a port day, the second night.

That's a little frustrating. Maybe I should sign up for it the first night. No way that'd be formal night, right?

They sometimes will offer a discount on nights where they have a low number of reservations. Maybe ask and see if they’ll give you a deal? I would expect formal night to be the most popular.

I imagine it's still a little far out to expect any sort of discount. Sounds like the kind of thing I should ask close to time, though. Or maybe even wait til I'm aboard, if it's not likely to fill up before then.

That's a little frustrating. Maybe I should sign up for it the first night. No way that'd be formal night, right?

I have never seen formal night on the first night. Many people don't get their luggage delivered prior to dinner. Keep that in mind if you decide to do it the first night. You might want to carry on the clothing you would wear for the Chef's Table.

We had reservations for the first night and they were canceled because no one else showed up.

Any idea how many they require to make it go? Were you able to reschedule for a different night?

I imagine it's still a little far out to expect any sort of discount. Sounds like the kind of thing I should ask close to time, though. Or maybe even wait til I'm aboard, if it's not likely to fill up before then.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear - she should ask for a discount once on-board. I’ve never heard of them giving discounts on Chef’s Table prior to sailing.

Any idea how many they require to make it go? Were you able to reschedule for a different night?

We did reschedule for another night and there were 4 of us. It was great! A lot of individual attention and a lot of wine since we didn't have to share. We were given the extra wine to take back to our cabins. Plus we got a great price for the inconvenience ... $49 for both of us.

We wait until about half way through the cruise and then start asking for discounts. We have received anywhere from 25% to 50% off. Pick an evening that has a sea day the next day. After all the wine, you may be tired!

Sorry if I wasn’t clear - she should ask for a discount once on-board. I’ve never heard of them giving discounts on Chef’s Table prior to sailing.

Oh! That does make sense. I'll do that.