Tipping for wheelchair assistance

In a few weeks we will be traveling out of Galveston on Liberty of the Seas. This trip we will be bringing my in laws which will both need wheelchair assistance. They do not use a wheelchair at home but will need assistance with boarding.

My question is, do you tip the people assisting them, which I expect that you do. How much is normal? I have not had any experience at this so do not have a clue what guidelines to use.

In a few weeks we will be traveling out of Galveston on Liberty of the Seas. This trip we will be bringing my in laws which will both need wheelchair assistance. They do not use a wheelchair at home but will need assistance with boarding.

My question is, do you tip the people assisting them, which I expect that you do. How much is normal? I have not had any experience at this so do not have a clue what guidelines to use.

I have a scooter now, but when I did need wheelchair assistance, I did tip them. (also the helpers at the airport). They are God sends. Sometimes getting to the correct Gate is 2 miles away! :o

Thank you both for replying. I fully expected that you would tip them. Having the assistance for the in laws will be a HUGE help for all of us. The dollar amount is what I am most unsure about. I kind of thought 10.00 - 20.00 each but with the August heat and the distance in Galveston did not want to come off as insulting not knowing any different.

We are all so looking forward to our August 5 departure date.

If you need wheelchair assistance on and off the ship you will be working with 2 sets of people. Embarkation will have first the porters and then a crew member for on the ship. The same wheelchair is used. Just the opposite for debarkation. First the crew member then the porter. We always have 5s in our pocket for our Dad’s helpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is important to note, wheelchair assistance is a fist come first serve basis, so you may have to wait into order to get assistance. They do not stop, they make non-stop runs, but it is first come first serve. Seen too many people rant and moan that they had to wait. Bon Voyage!

$5.00 to the port assistant who gets us through the port and to the ship, then a few dollars to the Royal crew member who actually wheels us up the gangway and takes us to the Windjammer.

...the distance in Galveston

Galveston terminal is smaller than most, so very little distance involved and mostly air conditioned.

There are shore people at the curb that can take you inside and through checkin. Then crew members take you up the boarding ramp onto the ship. So if you use both, be prepared for two tips. Crew members actually volunteer for this, but I know our waiter actually enjoyed talking with the customers and did the duty as much for his own entertainment as the tips. Probably got him out of dining room cleaning as well. If cabins are ready they will take you to them, otherwise they usually take you to the buffet area and run the wheelchair back down for another passenger.

How fantastically nonspecific!:confused:

Just seemed like an odd comment. I never disclose to others how much I tip, but if I'm in a jolly mood, I make up a very high number. So in this case, I think I will say, I tip $100.00 per push, unless it's hot outside, than $120.00

Just seemed like an odd comment. I never disclose to others how much I tip, but if I'm in a jolly mood, I make up a very high number. So in this case, I think I will say, I tip $100.00 per push, unless it's hot outside, than $120.00

Not really odd. It was in response to a very specific amount to one individual ($5.00), and an oddly vague amount for another individual (a few dollars). I just thought that was an odd dichotomy.

We gave the attendant 5$. It’s a long

Haul from pick up through security

Up the ramp to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums