Looking for advice/insight on taking a train from Quebec City to Montreal

CineGraphic

We'll be sailing on the Caribbean Princess from Fort Lauderdale to Quebec City next summer.

We arrive in QC on August 8th, but don't have to disembark until the next day.

I thought a train ride to a larger city would provide two things, a great trip and a cheaper flight back to Atlanta.

Toronto and Montreal are both options, and I'd love to hear from anybody who's done this before.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

The good news is it's a really simple comparison - there's only one train service, VIA, which has several daily trains from Quebec City to Montreal (Toronto will involve connecting in either Ottawa or Montreal).

The only real issue is that not all trains have a baggage car - so if you're a fairly typical cruiser with a large suitcase, or even 2+, you need to make sure you choose a departure time with a baggage car. Carryon allowance is a generous 'personal' bag up to 25lb, plus either two more modest bags or an airline standard (50lb) bag but you have to be able to schlep them yourself. A baggage car means you can add 2 extra 50lb bags on top.

VIA trains are more like European ones than Amtrak - they generally run reasonably on-time, have single deck carriages, and feel much more modern than Amtrak (except the delightful Cascades service). Still run pretty slow though - it's faster to drive, and one-way rental cars between Montreal and Quebec are so commonly used that it's frequently possible to get a free rental! If you are willing to wait until close to your dates, check TransferCar.

There are also buses, which again are usually quicker than trains (~3hrs vs about 3h45min by train). I do like the train though - it's comfier than buses, you can walk around, buy snacks or drinks, and it tends to be a little more scenic than the highway at times (plus both of you can look about, no need to keep eyes on the road).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be sailing on the Caribbean Princess from Fort Lauderdale to Quebec City next summer.

We arrive in QC on August 8th, but don't have to disembark until the next day.

I thought a train ride to a larger city would provide two things, a great trip and a cheaper flight back to Atlanta.

Toronto and Montreal are both options, and I'd love to hear from anybody who's done this before.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

We came here looking for almost the same thing :)

We are on the same cruise, and also looking at a better way to get back to Atlanta since flights from Quebec City are not much of an option. It looks like the basic traveling on the train to Montreal is around $75 a person, so one option.

I didn't know if you have see in the personalizer, they do offer a end-of-cruise excursion to Montreal. Three hours on a bus, and takes you to Old Town, spend 2.5 hours there, then 30 minutes to the airport, for $129. The train is cheaper, we just like the less-hassle factor of giving them our bags, and get them back at the airport, and get to spend some time in Old Town. We will book a hotel near the airport, that has an aiport shuttle, then once they drop us off, call them to come get us, then back to the airport the next day. We might stay an extra day and some home Sunday, as just booke the cruise this morning and still working out the details.

We did a similar thing last year in Vancouver, and worked out well as the bus took us around town, and dropped us off a the airport, where he stay.

My sister and I left Princess cruise ending in Quebec City and took Via Rail to Montreal. Train station was just few minutes away by taxi. Quick and easy. We left early in the morning and had no trouble taking our luggage onto the train car with us. (plenty of room for luggage) Lovely train and great trip, hassle free. We then toured Montreal all for the day and stayed overnight. Then took Amtrak/Via Rail down to Albany, NY and flew home on SWA from Albany. Great views and nice trip. Very relaxing, fun way to end the 10 day cruise! The cost of both train rides was less than 120 dollars. That of course will vary. Albany was a great ending point because train depot is not far from airport.

I'm looking for the opposite for my cruise that starts in Quebec City (ends in Fort Lauderdale...no problem getting home from there)...flights are terrible from LAX-YQB. So advice on flying into Montreal renting a car and driving to Quebec...How long would this take and how easy would it be and suggestions for rental companies..please.

I'm looking for the opposite for my cruise that starts in Quebec City (ends in Fort Lauderdale...no problem getting home from there)...flights are terrible from LAX-YQB. So advice on flying into Montreal renting a car and driving to Quebec...How long would this take and how easy would it be and suggestions for rental companies..please.

Well, I can't answer that myself, however Princess does offer the opposite excursion, that is from Montreal airport to Quebec City, for $129 a person if you had not seen that in the personalizer.

I know we could save money doing it on our own, just plan on letting someone else take care of it while we just relax.

I am on a similar (maybe the same) cruise and had the same issues with flights to Quebec City. After much research, I found a reasonably priced fare on Westjet/Delta and went with it. Our cruise line (HAL) offered a transfer from Montreal airport to Quebec City, but only on the sailing date, so I did not want to risk it (4 plus hours of bus travel).

My other option was to fly into Montreal, stay downtown overnight and then a train to Montreal (the day prior to sailing). This is a good option if you want to see Montreal IMO, otherwise not worth it as it required an additional hotel night and a 4 hour or so train ride.

Well, I can't answer that myself, however Princess does offer the opposite excursion, that is from Montreal airport to Quebec City, for $129 a person if you had not seen that in the personalizer.

I know we could save money doing it on our own, just plan on letting someone else take care of it while we just relax.

I'm cruising on RCI not PCL...but thanks...maybe that info will be of help to someone else.

I am on a similar (maybe the same) cruise and had the same issues with flights to Quebec City. After much research, I found a reasonably priced fare on Westjet/Delta and went with it. Our cruise line (HAL) offered a transfer from Montreal airport to Quebec City, but only on the sailing date, so I did not want to risk it (4 plus hours of bus travel).

My other option was to fly into Montreal, stay downtown overnight and then a train to Montreal (the day prior to sailing). This is a good option if you want to see Montreal IMO, otherwise not worth it as it required an additional hotel night and a 4 hour or so train ride.

I'm on RCI Adventure Oct 2019. We can board our ship on day/night one and it doesn't depart until afternoon of day 2. So a bit of flexibility for us.

^Car rentals - all the same major agencies operate up here as in the US, so if you have points you can use your 'regular' one. Personally I'd just shop for the cheapest - as I mentioned above there are many one-way rentals, to the extent you can score a freebie trip if there are too many cars in Montreal and they are needed in Quebec City!

But unless you are happy to wait until very close to your trip date, just book a refundable rate with whichever major agency is offering the best deal at the time (Costco is good for this). Keep checking, rebook for savings just like with a cruise. Pricing could be steep booked long in advance, as until they know how many cars are likely to be going each way many agencies will add a drop-fee to one-way trips.

Driving is pretty easy - signs are of course in French for names of streets, but the highway signage still follows international standard formats. Downtown can be tricky in both cities, due to old narrow streets, some hills, odd one-way networks - but with a GPS are perfectly feasible even for first-timers. You can always book an airport-to-airport trip, rather than downtown-to-downtown, to minimise time spent anywhere off the highway - just factor in the ~$40 taxi ride downtown (incl tip).

Personally, with flexible boarding time like yours, I'd do a morning train on the first day. It goes from downtown Montreal (literally under the Fairmont Queen Lizzie) to downtown Quebec - and you want the Quebec City station very close to the pier (Gare du Palais - it's just outside the old port, easily walkable), rather than Sainte-Foy. A quick check of VIAs website shows daily service on 20 (6:20am) or 24 (12:45pm), with baggage cars, for as little as $74pp if booked now (the 22 has no baggage car but if you can lift your own, it's time is the most civilized leaving Montreal at 8:56am).

• Like 1

We came here looking for almost the same thing [emoji4]

We are on the same cruise, and also looking at a better way to get back to Atlanta since flights from Quebec City are not much of an option.....just booked the cruise this morning and still working out the details.

You are just a few miles away from us, we are in Duluth. Hope you join the roll call.

Im pretty much convinced that we’ll go by train to Montreal and spend the night. Then, I’m considering the train option to Albany. It looks like flights back to ATL are well priced from there.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

^Car rentals - all the same major agencies operate up here as in the US, so if you have points you can use your 'regular' one. Personally I'd just shop for the cheapest - as I mentioned above there are many one-way rentals, to the extent you can score a freebie trip if there are too many cars in Montreal and they are needed in Quebec City!

But unless you are happy to wait until very close to your trip date, just book a refundable rate with whichever major agency is offering the best deal at the time (Costco is good for this). Keep checking, rebook for savings just like with a cruise. Pricing could be steep booked long in advance, as until they know how many cars are likely to be going each way many agencies will add a drop-fee to one-way trips.

Driving is pretty easy - signs are of course in French for names of streets, but the highway signage still follows international standard formats. Downtown can be tricky in both cities, due to old narrow streets, some hills, odd one-way networks - but with a GPS are perfectly feasible even for first-timers. You can always book an airport-to-airport trip, rather than downtown-to-downtown, to minimise time spent anywhere off the highway - just factor in the ~$40 taxi ride downtown (incl tip).

Personally, with flexible boarding time like yours, I'd do a morning train on the first day. It goes from downtown Montreal (literally under the Fairmont Queen Lizzie) to downtown Quebec - and you want the Quebec City station very close to the pier (Gare du Palais - it's just outside the old port, easily walkable), rather than Sainte-Foy. A quick check of VIAs website shows daily service on 20 (6:20am) or 24 (12:45pm), with baggage cars, for as little as $74pp if booked now (the 22 has no baggage car but if you can lift your own, it's time is the most civilized leaving Montreal at 8:56am).

Thank you so much...you've always been so helpful with all things Canada.

You are just a few miles away from us, we are in Duluth. Hope you join the roll call.

Im pretty much convinced that we’ll go by train to Montreal and spend the night. Then, I’m considering the train option to Albany. It looks like flights back to ATL are well priced from there..

We are close by & probably travel some the same congested roads here in Gwinnett :D

We will probably join the roll call in a week or so, once we have decided for sure on this cruise. We have an Alaska cruise booked for September next year, and will probably cancel it tomorrow and move the future cruise deposit to this one.

Are the tickets that much cheaper coming from Albany? We have not looked into it as just looking at the next closest big city to fly home from, and typically on Delta of course. This will give us a full day in Quebec City the last day of the cruise, then a little time in Montreal since we have never been to either one.

We are close by & probably travel some the same congested roads here in Gwinnett :D

We will probably join the roll call in a week or so, once we have decided for sure on this cruise. We have an Alaska cruise booked for September next year, and will probably cancel it tomorrow and move the future cruise deposit to this one.

Are the tickets that much cheaper coming from Albany? We have not looked into it as just looking at the next closest big city to fly home from, and typically on Delta of course. This will give us a full day in Quebec City the last day of the cruise, then a little time in Montreal since we have never been to either one.

I don’t see much congestion because I work backstage at the arena and live only 5 minutes away. There’s no traffic at 2am, lol.

As for fares from Albany, I only did a brief search today on Kayak, and they looked good.

QC and Montreal are new to as as well. I need to experience Montreal’s smoked meats and bagels, two things I’ve heard raves about.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

We have taken the train between Montreal and Quebec City in both directions. While the car or bus may be quicker the train is surely relaxing. No issues with our luggage in an area at the end of our car. The only downside is that a taxi is required between Montreal and the airport or you can take the train to Dorval and then take a bus. All depends on how often you want to carry your luggage. Either way it was much less costly than flights to/from Quebec CIty.

We have taken the train between Montreal and Quebec City in both directions. While the car or bus may be quicker the train is surely relaxing. No issues with our luggage in an area at the end of our car. The only downside is that a taxi is required between Montreal and the airport or you can take the train to Dorval and then take a bus. All depends on how often you want to carry your luggage. Either way it was much less costly than flights to/from Quebec CIty.

I found a flight into Quebec from OKC (Oklahoma City) for $250 one way. Not cheap but not bad IMO. Now (a month later it is $350 with worse times. So, if you can book early it might still be an option, to avoid all the hassle and in my case an extra room night.

If you looking for flights in and out of Quebec City from the US, also take a pass at the two Canadian airlines. The Air Canada website and the WestJet website. (You have to keep in mind if your pricing in CDN or US dollars).

Air Canada is a partner with United. While WestJet is a partner with Delta.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI.....for anybody needing to go from downtown Montreal to the airport there is a city bus for $10 that runs along Rene Levesque Blvd. Taxis cost close to $50. Google the Montreal transit site for more details.

FYI.....for anybody needing to go from downtown Montreal to the airport there is a city bus for $10 that runs along Rene Levesque Blvd. Taxis cost close to $50. Google the Montreal transit site for more details.
Is Uber available in Montreal?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk