First time cruise and thinking of Edge

pross1990

Appreciate advice from experienced cruisers. I’m considering booking Edge (Eastern Caribbean) for mid-January 2019 as my first ever cruise. I’m torn between MSC Seaview and Celebrity Edge.

30yo, no kids and would anticipate using the sundecks and pool. Love coffee, food and beaches.

One of my main concerns about a cruise is how overcrowded some

of the pools and sunbathing areas appear to be.

Edge looks like it could do with a few more loungers...

Q. Are pool areas on ships always crowded on ‘at sea’ days. i.e if we got up early at 9am would it be busy?

Q. With the luxury cabins having their own exclusive private area and pool on Edge... will this ease congestion in the main pool area?

Q. Will Edge be busy or fully booked mid-January over MSC Seaview?

Q. What’s the included food like with a Celebrity, fair range without having to specialty dine?

Q. Will eating or drinking on the exclusive edge sky deck cost extra?

Q. Based on the info would you recommend Celebrity over MSC?

Seaview looks bigger with more outdoor space and loungers.

Edge is brand new – not even built yet. January 2019 is the first Caribbean season, and all sailings are nearly sold out and the few remaining cabins are priced sky-high because of the demand. Celebrity Equinox does similar itineraries to Edge [alternating the weeks East vs West] and is much more attractively priced for January 2019.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I think a lot of us have similar questions since this is a new class of ship, hence we are doing a lot of speculating about what it will be like.

It may be less crowded at the pool since 12% of the people will have access to the suite sundeck/pool, but time will tell. I think they show less loungers in the renditions to make it look less crowded - in reality, there will likely be more loungers.

The suite lounge serves free drinks when open (hopefully most of the day/evening as on other Celebrity ships) and will have some complimentary food (likely continental breakfast, maybe a tea late afternoon and hors d'oeurves in the evening as on other Celebrity ships in their suite lounges).

Food is subjective, so I would hate to say too much. This ship has 4 main dining rooms, with 25% special menus for each restaurant (Mediterranean theme in Cyprus restaurant, Italian theme in Tuscan Food, etc.). There is hope that this will end up being a nice option for main dining. The buffet is actually quite good on other Celebrity ships and they plan to improve it on this ship. There is a spa cafe that has healthy food, Eden Cafe with munchies and a grill by the pool with burgers, hot dogs, fries, etc., all of which are complimentary. There is a small restaurant for Aquaclass that has very good food and service (~ 120 seats), IMO and Luminae for suites (~170 seats), with great food and service, IMO (on other Celebrity ships).

I haven't been on MSC - others on this board can maybe help with Celebrity and MSC comparisons, but again, no one has sailed the Edge yet, so we all have a lot of questions too.

A lot more will be known about the Edge by Feb or March next year. I would continue to read the info on this Edge sub-forum to get an idea about what is known and hopefully you will be able to make an educated guess about what is right for you. :D

Host Jazz is right, there are only 1 or 2 Suites and a few Inside SRs avail on the Edge in January. The Infinity Balcony which is the new design approach isn’t available until well into March cruises it appears the pricing is going further up. One thread was showing people getting good prices, but I think that was very hit/miss on availability.

Ecqunox is a very good ship and would recommend giving it a shot. Taking the Edge will require jumping on something soonest and probably later into the year.

Den

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. Think i’ll give Edge a miss, go for a cheaper Celebrity/MSC cruise and reassess next summer.

For the best ‘blue water’ beaches would you recommend going East or West Caribbean?

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. Think i’ll give Edge a miss, go for a cheaper Celebrity/MSC cruise and reassess next summer.

For the best ‘blue water’ beaches would you recommend going East or West Caribbean?

I prefer sailing in the Eastern Caribbean, but since we don't usually frequent the beaches, I couldn't tell you about beaches.

Happy sailing, whatever you choose!

I agree on the Eastern Caribbean. The islands are more interesting and better beaches than the Mexican ports. A few of Seth West Caribbean islands are neat, but overall, go East Young Man.

Den

I agree on the Eastern Caribbean. The islands are more interesting and better beaches than the Mexican ports. A few of Seth West Caribbean islands are neat, but overall, go East Young Man.

Den

Thanks guys