Ocho Rios as solo cruiser

tiwi

I have traveled to Ocho Rios as a solo and I think it is best to just do the ship's excursion if you want to see the port. This is not a safe port to just wander around on your own to far away from the port. I enjoyed my excursion but some of the others aboard complained about being harassed on some of the excursions, especially the one to Dunn River falls. Lots of very aggressive vendors pursuing them. Good luck.

Good morning, I agree with the previous poster (Hi Neil:)). I always sail solo and if Ocho is on the itinerary and I want to do an excursion, I go with the cruise line. There is a "Jamaica Forum" on here under the ports of call. You can post over there too and see what replies you get. I haven't been to Ocho in many years and the only other thing I remember doing is to walk to Margaretville and listen to music and have a drink. But other than that? Definitely stick with a group for any type of tour.

But if I was going again? I would probably just stay on the ship.

Thanks everyone. I will stick with carnival excersion. Might pay a bit more but sounds like it will be safer. Looking at going to blue hole. Sounds like Dunn’s can be a zoo.

I booked a tour with Courtney Taylor when I visit Ocho Rios on a prior cruise.

Can't recall the driver, but he was fun,gave great info about Ocho and Jamaica. Did tubing, Dunn fall and return back to the port along with two couples. The family in my tour wanted to visit a beach.

As for being solo,no issues. The vendors are agressive at Dunn fall,but I'm the type who travels a bit and know how to deal with them.

Cheaper than cruise tour and we had a shuttle bus (small one) with close to 15 people, not crowded and both the driver and one couple made sure I was on board before leaving areas. I enjoyed the tour.

Now I wouldn't advise wandering outside the port area solo. This is one of the few ports I would not suggest this.

I booked a tour with Courtney Taylor when I visit Ocho Rios on a prior cruise.

Can't recall the driver, but he was fun,gave great info about Ocho and Jamaica. Did tubing, Dunn fall and return back to the port along with two couples. The family in my tour wanted to visit a beach.

As for being solo,no issues. The vendors are agressive at Dunn fall,but I'm the type who travels a bit and know how to deal with them.

Cheaper than cruise tour and we had a shuttle bus (small one) with close to 15 people, not crowded and both the driver and one couple made sure I was on board before leaving areas. I enjoyed the tour.

Now I wouldn't advise wandering outside the port area solo. This is one of the few ports I would not suggest this.

Did you contact him beforehand? Mind if I ask the cost?

If you find an independent shore excursion that you like and they only do group/private tours, you can always check the Roll Call for your cruise and try to create your own group. :)