Any comments on the Marquesas Tahiti cruise?

SeaWatch

We love ❤️ the Marquesas Islands [emoji267]. Been there twice. You won't get much snorkeling done there. Most excursions are land and visiting the villages. They are great to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

56f4843fee92cc162495001261f7911f.jpg2c4297292a4838f2290cb9321c49e614.jpgb3d5d95319d6d9b7c100f7b1d11eec87.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We loved our Marquesas trip and would not hesitate to do it again. As was said, no snorkeling because there are no barrier reefs (the islands are too young.) I have a ton of pics on my Smugmug site, if you'd care to see them:

The islands are not touristy at all, very little infrastructure, but wonderful tapas art and wood carvings. And a host of amazing mountains and vistas. Home of Jacques Brel and Paul Gauguin!

The ports are a bit different now, the ship doesn't anchor in the Bay of Virgins on Fatu Hiva for instance, and another island has been substituted instead of Ua Huka I think.

• 2 months later...

Hi Wendy

We are doing the 14 day cruise to the Marquesas Islands in August. Could you please let me know if there is anything to do or see at the planes we stop at. Did you do any of the shore excursions and if so could you please let me know which ones were worth doing or the best to do. My husband thought these islands were like Bora Bora and Moorea but not so!! I think it would be boring not to go on a shore excursion at least on one of the islands. My husband has a heart complaint so not sure how rough the 4 wheel drive tours are. Many thanks. Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Wendy

We are doing the 14 day cruise to the Marquesas Islands in August. Could you please let me know if there is anything to do or see at the planes we stop at. Did you do any of the shore excursions and if so could you please let me know which ones were worth doing or the best to do. My husband thought these islands were like Bora Bora and Moorea but not so!! I think it would be boring not to go on a shore excursion at least on one of the islands. My husband has a heart complaint so not sure how rough the 4 wheel drive tours are. Many thanks. Cheryl

Hi, sorry I didn't see your question until today. We were there 10 years ago now. Wow, doesn't feel that long ago! The islands are very underdeveloped even compared to Huahine, say. There were 4x4 trips available on most islands. That meant being taken around in a nice SUV to various places. Nothing too exciting or earth-shaking, but lots of great scenery. The ship anchored in Fatu Hiva at the Bay of Virgins; I've been given to understand that this is no longer the case. The bay itself is very scenic. We did not do an excursion on this island, just walked through town, plus they put on a culture show for us, and there were tapa cloth artists displaying their wares. On Nuku Hiva and Hiva Oa there is more to see. Nuku Hiva has a little town, a lovely church. We took another 4x4 trip across the island through theTaipivai Valley, immortalized by Herman Melville. Hiva Oa is where Jacques Brel and Paul Gauguin lived, so there is stuff to see there. Everywhere there is beautiful scenery.

A guy on our cruise did some free diving (with just a mas), but there were no organized snorkel trips or dives that I know of.

But from the sea the islands are gorgeous, the people lovely, the culture unspoiled.

The SUV trips were quite tame, nothing like the 4x4 trips on Moorea or Bora Bora. No problems in that direction, I would say.

Hope all this helps.