Comparing Paul Gauguin vs. Windstar...which do you recommend and why?

MammaCass

My husband and I plan to visit Tahiti this fall but we aren't sure if the better deal is with Paul Gauguin or Windstar. I believe Windstar has free flights from LA to Papeete with a hotel accommodation pre cruise and a day room when you return from the cruise. However, I have been unable to find any info on the extras with PG. I am a researcher so I will do my due diligence but any input would be much appreciated. Are they both all inclusive? Dining rooms extra$$ Dress code? Thanks all. I haven't been on the boards for some time and it is good to be back.

My husband and I plan to visit Tahiti this fall but we aren't sure if the better deal is with Paul Gauguin or Windstar. I believe Windstar has free flights from LA to Papeete with a hotel accommodation pre cruise and a day room when you return from the cruise. However, I have been unable to find any info on the extras with PG. I am a researcher so I will do my due diligence but any input would be much appreciated. Are they both all inclusive? Dining rooms extra$$ Dress code? Thanks all. I haven't been on the boards for some time and it is good to be back.

A few here may be able to fill you in on Windstar, but most haven't done that line, including me. The Paul Gauguin includes Economy Air from LAX in its fares. It is all-inclusive, i.e., gratuities and drinks are included, as is specialty dining (two additional dining rooms). Staff are the best at sea that I have experienced. Dress code is "country club casual", which simply means that at dinner, men are expected to wear a collared shirt and a pair of trousers, not jeans. Dress code for women is similar, no jeans, nice pants and tops, sundresses, skirts, all good.

The PG includes a whole day on a private motu (islet) with a bbq, beach chairs, activities. I think Windstar may provide something similar. The PG also provides snorkel gear for the duration of the trip. There are the "Gauguines", a local troupe of entertainers, male and female, who stay on for the whole trip and do all kinds of duties.

Don't know much about the size of Windstar cabins. Standard cabins on the PG are smallish, but well put together. You don't spend much time in your cabin.

PG is the only way to go! The crew have become like family and we have made many of our very best friends on board. In fact...last Summer we flew from LAX to Toronto to a pre-cruise party with many of them (including Wendy!).

We sail again this July and we cannot wait!

This has been discussed in both cruise line forums; use the search feature to pull up the threads.

I’ve been on both PG and Windstar in FP, most people posting in this forum have not.

I don’t go on a cruise to make lots of new friends or discuss hometowns or the personal life of the crew. That’s not important to me. I go to spend time with my family while we experience new places.

The Windspirit is a smaller ship (~148 passengers). The crew will know your name after the first day and remember your favorite drink and where you like to sit. Service overall is very good. Food is excellent. Fellow passengers are usually well traveled and educated. Cabins are nicely laid out, none have balconies but there is lots of outdoor deck space.

PG is a larger ship, and has more of a mainstream cruise line feel to me. The passengers overall (and there are always exceptions) are older and less active than on Windstar. For example, you will see matching muumuus and Hawaiian shirts at dinner; this is neither good nor bad, just an observation. I have never seen this on Windstar. The cabins on PG are nice and we upgraded to a balcony, which we enjoyed. The food is good, especially at La Veranda. Service didn’t come close to Windstar.

Dress code is pretty much the same on both lines. PG includes all drinks, you will pay for alcohol on Windstar, but sodas, water, etc. are free.

Both cruises have a private beach day. Windstar also has a deck barbecue.

Both have a main dining room and there is no extra charge on either for the other restaurant(s).

Both ships offer almost the same paid excursions, and snorkel gear you may use during your cruise.

Windstar doesn’t have the Gauguines, I don’t understand the attraction, but everyone likes different things.

You can decline PG air and hotel and get a lower fare. When I booked, it worked out better for me to do air/hotel separately on my own.

Windstar is the same; you can buy their cruise/hotel/air package, and sometimes they have amazing bargains, or just pay for the cruise.

I posted my experiences of my PG cruise on this board, with a little digging you can pull up my posts (probably posted in early 2014).

I wouldn’t cruise on PG again. Overall, it was a major disappointment. You can read why if you pull up my old posts, which of course, are just my experiences. Obviously, there are people who love PG, I just didn’t.

No cruise is perfect but overall, I much prefer Windstar.

No matter what you choose, Tahiti is a beautiful place, and cruising is one of the more afordable ways to visit this lovely place.

Edited by 6rugrats

Just FYI, PG is having a sale on 2 fall 2018 cruises until May 19.

I have been searching and trying to compare these two lines myself and didn't find a ton of information on Windstar to Tahiti despite lots of searching. I think it depends on what kind of vibe you want. The PG cruise seems to include more of the things you would enjoy on a cruise like musicians, local themed nights at the buffet, shows, etc. The PG does not have a hot tub and Windstar does. Windstar did not seem to have any day passes to resorts included as excursions while PG does. But the big difference for me is that for the itineraries I am looking at, PG offers overnights on both Moorea and Bora Bora, while Windstar only offers an overnight on BB (but does offer both Taha'a and Ra'iātea). Windstar offers a day room at the Le Meridien on Tahiti while I believe PG uses the Hotel Intercontinental.

Here are the notes I made when comparing:

Windstar: cheaper; DIY alcohol;sailing yacht; smaller; less people; hot tub (but less entertainment/amenities;lack of Polynesian flair; less stable/rougher; less time on Moorea)

PG: Bigger; larger stateroom (12 sq ft); more onboard activities; Polynesian music and musicians; shows and piano bar; 2-days on both Bora Bora and Moorea; more stable boat (but more expensive; no hot tub; more people (320 v 150))

If we do a cruise, I know we will choose PG as my husband will want the entire cruising experience with shows, music, etc. It's just the vibe we prefer. Windstar does have a cruise over our actual anniversary and I could use the Veteran's Day holiday as an extra day off work after returning home so it is somewhat tempting in that regard.