Cape Kidnappers/Napier: Background Insights!

TLCOhio

From the weekend Wall Street Journal today, they had a new magazine, Far & Away, that has been published in cooperation with National Geographic. One of the articles this morning had this headline: “The Accidental Hotelier” with a great profile on the New York hedge-fund billionaire Julian Robertson. He has developed luxury resorts in New Zealand, including Cape Kidnappers that we visited and enjoy in 2014.

This story highlighted these details for this super spectacular scenic resort. Cape Kidnappers is are also working farm. This profile quoted former NBC news anchor Tom Brokaw after staying at Cape Kidnappers as: “Julian is a citizen of the world and that is best demonstrated by his investment in and affection for New Zealand. Cape Kidnappers, his seaside resort, golf fantasy land, and kiwi habitat is one of those magical places you dream of but never really expect to visit."

This story also noted that Robertson’s New Zealand-oriented philanthropic efforts include his contribution of 15 works of art from his private collection valued at up to $150 million to the North Island’s Auckland Art Gallery in 2009. Also reported is this quote from Robertson about Cape Kidnappers: 'Pictures do not do the land justice,' Robertson says of the green rolling ripples in the North Island earth that lead to a rugged cliff line that overlooks the Pacific Ocean." Also detailed are: "After an hour flight southeast from Auckland, the drive from the property’s gate up to the lodge takes 15 minutes on a windy road through ravines and gullies flanked by tall pine trees. Don’t miss: From September to May, Cape Kidnappers is home to the world’s largest accessible mainland gannet bird hatching ground.

WOW! Great background for this specular location and he vision of its owner/developer. Will try to share later more details and exciting visuals from visiting this world-class location.

Full story at:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/features/far-and-away/the-accidental-hotelier/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

From this Wall Street Journal/Naional Geographic magazine, here is one of the many pictures featured. It is from this spectacular Cape Kidnappers resort that we were able to visit and experience in 2014.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-19%20at%2010.20.18%20AM_zps7apatzqs.png

Originally posted by sewgood:
"Great to
read a good news story about a wall street guy.
Especially that a Kiwi habitat has been included in the developement. I looked at the pictures of the resort, very lovely. I didn't dare look at the prices.
Thanks Terry for showing us a beautiful part of the world.
"

On another Cruise Critic board, I received this nice follow-up by this poster from wonderful Australia. Yes, it is beautiful at Cape Kidnappers. Pictures do not do this scenic location full justice, but I will share more below. Happy to answer any questions. It is fun sharing about such a spectacular, world-class spot!!

Through our great Travel Agent (that I cannot name here on the CC Boards), we did a private tour for our group of fourteen to see, up-close, Cape Kidnappers and do a "Gannet Safari". Then, we had lunch at "The Farm". It is a five-mile drive off of the main road to reach this luxury, rustic lodge built in 2007 atop the summit of this 6,000-acre working farm. The road winds through a dense forest, over a stream and past random encounters with goats and sheep. The ride leads to the ultimate panoramic views of Tom Doak's famed Cape Kidnappers golf course and the Pacific Ocean on the horizon. 

The lodge looks like a cluster of farm buildings from the outside, including a silo that's actually a circular sitting room called the "snug." The main section houses a casual dining room and veranda, a library and business center. A wine room and fitness center are downstairs. The 27 cottage suites are all within walking distance. 
 This five-star destination is not like most farms. It's all play -- and no work -- for guests at this luxury lodge. Head Chef Tim Pickering sources produce as locally as possible, including from its own vegetable garden. Daily menu’s are based on what is freshest and most seasonal. Dining here is limited to only those who are overnight guest at the resort. Or, those, like us, that have an "in" to be able to visit here without needing to pay the high, high over-night charges.

Below starts a series of four different groups of visuals from this wonderful area. For those interested in golf, this course has moved up to be ranked as the 22nd best!! Not just that ranking for Asia and this Pacific region, but 22nd BEST in the world!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 202,078 views for this posting.

NAPIER/CAPE KIDNAPPER #1:

As we were departing the ship for Cape Kidnapper, the Captain of the Solstice was outside supervising. I asked him if he would posed for a picture with three members of our Central Ohio group. He said YES! and enjoyed this time with these three fine ladies, including my wife on the left. Fun start on a beautiful weather day.:

NapCapKidGannets1_zps67eddfdc.jpg

Here we are starting to be driving through thick woods on part of “The Farm” where Cape Kidnapper is location. This is all private lands, nearly 6,000 acres.:

NapCapKidGannets118_zps89e8bbec.jpg

This really is a working farm with many thousands of sheep roaming this territory. Here are some sheep being loaded up. Sadly, you know where they are going. That’s life (or something else) on a farm.:

NapCapKidGannets11_zps0bbc108e.jpg

Here is the first of the famed gannets at this location. This is just one small sampling of many big groups of these super cute birds. :

NapCapKidGannets13_zps64175760.jpg

Here is one of the soaring birds here at Cape Kidnappers that I captured with my camera.:

NapCapKidGannets14_zps56dac26a.jpg

Here is our expert guide/driver, Jo, traveling along the ridge near the water (on the Pacific Ocean) as we go to see more of the nesting areas along this super scenic coast.:

NapCapKidGannets17_zps9aed0168.jpg

Below is part two of the top visuals from this wonderful part of scenic New Zealand. Hope you are liking this sharing.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 225,692 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

NAPIER/CAPE KIDNAPPERS #2:

Here on the roughly 6,000 acres, it is not just about the dramatic coastlines and the gannets. There are also lots of other dramatic landscapes and scenic views. Here are Diane and Mike from our Central Ohio group looking over towards the ridges and lands to the west of these coastal areas. Nice looking?:

NapCapKidGannets12_zps3ff15f4d.jpg

Here are two of these great-looking birds enjoying the coastal setting. Does it get any more special that being at this type of location with these birds?:

NapCapKidGannets111_zps23dab361.jpg

Here we are looking down from the top of one of the cliffs towards another nesting area on a lower level.:

NapCapKidGannets19_zps1edcdd31.jpg

These two birds are playing and enjoying whatever it is that they do for “togetherness”!! It was nice to be so close, with help from my Nikon telephoto lens, to these birds.:

NapCapKidGannets110_zpsb4bb82a2.jpg

Here is another example of a soaring bird at Cape Kidnappers, 19 miles south of Napier.:

NapCapKidGannets16_zps6fc9437e.jpg

Here is John from our group and guide/driver Jo talking about this wonderful area. In the background is a longer view of the actual Cape Kidnappers with its famed “hook” showing to the left out in the water.:NapCapKidGannets18_zpsf6737bc8.jpg

Appreciate your patience and interest. Below is part three from this amazing area near Napier.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 232,626 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

NAPIER/CAPE KIDNAPPERS #3:

This is my wife, Penny, using our binoculars to examine more closely the “hook” at the point or tip of Cape Kidnappers.:

NapCapKidGannets15_zpsd286076f.jpg

We stopped at the golf course pro shop/lockers for a little “retail therapy”. Looked rustic on the outside, but this area had great, under-stated “class” on the inside. Here are some metal kiwi items, plus merchandise here and a picture featuring some of this challenging golf course from an air view. This is the 22nd rated best course in the world.:

NapCapKidGannets112_zpse91a958e.jpg

At The Farm Lodge we got a personal tour by General Manager Hannah Butler. Here we are outside on the patio/lawn that overlooks the scenic areas, including the Pacific Ocean in the distance.:

NapCapKidGannets114_zps8c0212b8.jpg

At The Farm Lodge, here is just one little interior small sampling of its design, style and class. Nothing loud or shouting in this upscale setting.:

NapCapKidGannets113_zpsadc1ca92.jpg

Here are members of our 14-person group enjoying our scenic and dramatic setting at a private, outdoor location for our three-course, gourmet lunch this day.:

NapCapKidGannets115_zps0061777a.jpg

Here is the main beef dish we had during our lunch at The Farm. Super taste, prepared perfectly. Plus, nice views and company!!:

NapCapKidGannets116_zps1d5eb56f.jpg

Now to conclude, here is the fourth part of this series of visuals from my live/blog of this adventure from early 2014.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 56,194 views for these postings.

NAPIER/CAPE KIDNAPPERS #4:

Here is the chocolate dessert with ice cream, popcorn and other tasteful treats. Any calories here?:

NapCapKidGannets117_zpse2d9cd6e.jpg

On the way back to Napier, we visited Jo’s studio, saw her beach views and a unique local flowering bush in her garden area. Not a big property, but its location is so special and nice in this village about half-way between Cape Kidnappers and Napier. We appreciate Jo’s sharing of so much information about this area, her family and her personal interests.:

NapCapKidGannets119_zps7754b408.jpg

NapCapKidGannets120_zps8d2b4148.jpg

NapCapKidGannets121_zps067f64fd.jpg

In returning to the Solstice, the community of Napier said a big “thank you” with these various older cars, people dressed in period costumes and a nice jazz-style band that brought back nice memories of New Orleans style/fun. They were located in the area as we walked to re-board the Solstice. Nice day here? Yes, but I also have lots of pictures to share from Napier, etc.:

NapCapKidReturn_zps5380a97f.jpg

NapCapKidReturn1_zps4933c649.jpg

For those who love to sketch and/or see these beautiful Gannets in New Zealand, I checked though my photo files and have some added visuals to share. Like?

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From New Zealand's Cape Kidnappers, here are some more visuals of these beautiful Gannet birds. Notice in the fourth picture, the little bits of the bird feathers from when they "fluff" their coats? Just be fair, I have added a picture of one sheep from this scenic location. Lots of sheep there, too, as it is still a working ranch.:

TLC_5965_zpsfwf8h0tr.jpg

TLC_6124_zpsywspy0xw.jpg

TLC_6104_zpsnisgt20y.jpg

TLC_5968_zpswuzyogbu.jpg

TLC_5940_zps0kph5tyr.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Here is a final group of added visuals not previously posted from our visit to Napier and Cape Kidnappers.

To update more from my earlier postings, this golf course at Cape Kidnappers has now moved up to a ranking for being the 17th best in the entire world. Pretty good?

See more from this January 11, 2018, article at:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/world-100-greatest-golf-courses-nicklaus-and-norman-tie-for-most-courses-among-living-architects

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. Now at 20,419 views. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Here are some additional visual not posted previously from Cape Kidnappers. First is a look towards the famed "hook" that is a part of this scenic location. Second is a visual of some wooden kiwi birds at the lodge/dining facility of this luxury resort. Third is my wife and me with the unique coast topography in the background.:

TLC_6067_zps2bxxzbhf.jpg

TLC_6143_zpsbjzi0k29.jpg

TLC_6075_zpsivi799a4.jpg

From Napier, here are a couple of examples for their interesting Art Deco building architecture.:

TLC_6253_zpssgtllugg.jpg

TLC_6263_zps1cisjeyo.jpg