Not Leaving HOU until 7:00 pm

weissjaz

Cruising on Liberty of the Seas from Galveston and need help planning my last day. I am guessing we will be off the ship by 10ish and then have most of the day to kill. Should we store luggage at Cruise Stop and hang out for a while and then Uber to the airport or would it be better to book a shuttle to meet us when we get off the ship? Any advise appreciated. Would rather not spend hours just hanging around the airport if we don't have to.

Depends on which airport you are flying out of. Hobby is only about 45-1hr from Galveston. IAH is all the way across town and a good ways out from anything. If you are wanting to sightsee and use Uber you would almost have to do it in Galveston to be able to store your luggage. Houston has some great spots to visit during the day but idk what you’d do with your luggage unless maybe shuttle to the airport, check my baggage and then Uber to somewhere around Houston. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMO - the most fun/least stress option is to spend your spare time in Galveston. Schedule your ride for mid to late afternoon or so depending on which airport you will be using. No need to prematurely wear off the vacation buzz by trying to get around Houston to see a few sights.

It's easy to suggest the Kemah Boardwalk or Space Center Houston as tour options except the OP mentioned luggage storage. That points to not having a vehicle. Both of those tourist stops are a 30 min commute from here in Galveston.

I'd suggest storing your luggage, taking in the Strand, as the shops open by 10 am on most mornings. You can spend a solid two hours walking along the area.

For lunch walk back across Harborside Drive and enjoy a super meal at Olympia Grill.

Seawall Blvd is an option, but it's a long walk from the cruise terminal, think at least a mile, and the shops and restaurants are spread out. There is plenty to see right at the port area.

It's easy to suggest the Kemah Boardwalk or Space Center Houston as tour options except the OP mentioned luggage storage. That points to not having a vehicle. Both of those tourist stops are a 30 min commute from here in Galveston.

I'd suggest storing your luggage, taking in the Strand, as the shops open by 10 am on most mornings. You can spend a solid two hours walking along the area.

For lunch walk back across Harborside Drive and enjoy a super meal at Olympia Grill.

Seawall Blvd is an option, but it's a long walk from the cruise terminal, think at least a mile, and the shops and restaurants are spread out. There is plenty to see right at the port area.

Forgive me for bad advice. You are correct, there is no luggage storage at Kemah. Sorry.

Forgive me for bad advice. You are correct, there is no luggage storage at Kemah.

Hey, didn’t mean to offend. Sorry.

My point is those places are a distance from Galveston that would require a vehicle. Kemah isn’t close to here. It’s a fun place, but would require some logistics.

One thing I forgot and was just reminded as one passed me on Seawall Blvd is the trolley. There is an option for navigating around the island for a few hours. They could go to the beach or several stops.

Have a super day!

Edited by BallFour4

No offense taken!! I tried to delete & re-do my post when I saw how “snarky” it sounded, but my phone wouldn’t let me delete my first comment! So no worries...I wasn’t upset.

And you ARE correct. Never have seen storage at Kemah.

One thing I forgot and was just reminded as one passed me on Seawall Blvd is the trolley. There is an option for navigating around the island for a few hours. They could go to the beach or several stops.

Have a super day!

Second the trolley suggestion. A very inexpensive ($1 adult & kids free) way to see the seawall and downtown areas.

http://www.galvestontx.gov/816/Trolley-Information

There are numerous things to do/see in downtown Galveston to occupy the day:

Ocean Star Drilling Rig at Pier 20

Tall Ship Elissa and Texas Seaport Museum at Pier 22

Three 20 minute movies at Pier 21 - The Great Storm of 1900, Jean Lafitte, the Pirate, Immigration into Galveston

The Railroad Museum at 25th and Strand

Shop and restaurants between 20th and 25th and Harborside to Post office

1894 Grand Opera House on Post Office between 20th and 21st.

Then take the trolley.

There are numerous things to do/see in downtown Galveston to occupy the day:

Three 20 minute movies at Pier 21 - The Great Storm of 1900, Jean Lafitte, the Pirate,

We do well together to promote Galveston!

But... I’d argue with you over a grouper sandwich at The Spot that the Great Storm movie is anything close to what tourists should see.

If you see us walking our Golden Retriever on the Strand or Olympia Grill on weekends stop and chat.

Have a great day!

Cruising on Liberty of the Seas from Galveston and need help planning my last day. I am guessing we will be off the ship by 10ish and then have most of the day to kill. Should we store luggage at Cruise Stop and hang out for a while and then Uber to the airport or would it be better to book a shuttle to meet us when we get off the ship? Any advise appreciated. Would rather not spend hours just hanging around the airport if we don't have to.

Galveston Express offers luggage storage and provides late afternoon / evening shuttle service to both airports.

We do well together to promote Galveston!

But... I’d argue with you over a grouper sandwich at The Spot that the Great Storm movie is anything close to what tourists should see.

If you see us walking our Golden Retriever on the Strand or Olympia Grill on weekends stop and chat.

Have a great day!

At the Spot with friends today!

Will look for you with the Golden Retriever.

Our Border Collie is too old to take for long walk; though she has been on the front page of GCDN several times last year!

Galveston’s Biggest Loser Pet Edition!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we are going to either Uber to the Space Center (they have luggage storage) or hang out near the port. I know there is luggage storage there too. I will definitely check out options with Galveston Express.

Royal Caribbean usually has a "Luggage Valet" service where they will take your bags from the hallway the night before you depart, and get them directly to the airport for you, and you won't see them again until you get to your home airport. There is a fee for this service, around $25/suitcase, but for the convenience of only having to have maybe a small carry-o, or backpack, to worry about, for a few hours while touring, it is extremely convenient. We have done this several times with no problems...no guarantees of course, but we like it.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if Liberty of the Seas has Luggage Valet? I thought it was only a select few cruise ships that still did this anymore...

I'm in the same boat (HAHA!) and our flight doesn't leave Houston/Hobby until 10pm. So we need to find luggage storage and fill our day with activities.