Recommendations for an Amazon River Cruise?

Smokeyham

Hoping I am posting in the right forum, but I am researching options for an Amazon River Cruise and was wondering if I could get some recommendations (or information on ships to avoid)?

I did read one review that said to get a cabin on an upper deck, since cabins on the main deck can be noisy due to the engines. Any thoughts on that?

Any thoughts on the time of year to go and other information would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Check this one out, has been in my shortlist. I don't have any personal experience with them.

https://www.rainforestcruises.com/iberostar-grand-amazon-cruise/

Thanks for the recommendation to look at the Iberostar Grand Amazon Cruise. A friend is going on that in a few weeks, and I report back here on what her opinion is once she gets back. It looks like a great journey!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on European river cruises and have found that they are not noisy compared to ocean cruises. Friends that were on the lower deck didn't report any noise or vibration. I would consider staying away from the rear of the ship but I have no first hand experience

Do I need a visa to cruise to Brazil if I only so shore tours with cruise company?

Yes, you need a visa to enter the country and it doesn't matter who you do your excursions with.

The visas are easier to get now than they were a few months ago and less expensive but for a shorter period of time. You can get them online now as well.

Thanks for the recommendation to look at the Iberostar Grand Amazon Cruise. A friend is going on that in a few weeks, and I report back here on what her opinion is once she gets back. It looks like a great journey!

My friend just returned (May, 2018) from her Amazon cruise on Iberostar and really enjoyed it. She said that the vessel had a capacity of around 200 passengers, but there were only about 50 on board. The food was very good. She enjoyed the shore excursions. Her cabin was on the main deck (i.e. the lowest deck) - forward. She reported no problems with noise/vibrations from the engines or from the anchor.

We have done four river cruises, but none of the Amazon. We always book the cheaper lower deck cabins that we can find. Only once, did we encounter a problem. On our Russian River cruise, one night they dropped the anchor (we had a cabin that was close to the bow of the ship and near the anchor). It sounded like the World was coming to an end. That was only on one night. Our friends that had cabins midship didn't even hear the anchor dropping.

• 1 month later...