Gratuities question

cruisin1982

I read a review the person said Disney charges gratuity on every purchase including stuff bought in the gift shops. I hope this isn’t true. If so what a rip off

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No. "Gratuities" (that is, tips) are automatically charged to your onboard account in the amount of $12.00 per guest (each person on a reservation is a guest) per night.

That $12.00 breaks out to $4.00 per guest per night to your room host; $4.00 per guest per night to your dining room server/ $3.00 per guest per night to your assistant server; and $1.00 per guest per night to your head server.

There was a blog/review posted not too long ago, complaining about being charged "gratuities" for using the kid's clubs. But, they later retracted that (without changing the original review.

The only other gratuities are the 15% gratuity added to any beverage purchases, and the 18% gratuity added to any spa service.

Thanks when you read something like that causes concerns. It was a bad review very negative towards Disney

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And, sadly, it's still out there with all it's inaccuracies, influencing newbie DCL cruisers.

DCL has far fewer "hidden charges" than most other lines, and they are totally transparent about where the "standard" tips go. The only thing they won't tell is what portion of the dining upcharges actually go to the servers.

There is absolutely NO tax or gratuity applied to purchase in the shops.

Personally, I think the automatic 18% spa gratuity is a rip off, but the spa is run by Steiner, and this has been instituted on all the cruise lines that use this company. I won't book spa any more, largely because of this add on. What irritates me is that it is not only charged for "hands on" services, but is charged for rainforest passes, any fitness classes that have a charge, etc--anything charged under the spa heading. I have no problem tipping the person in the spa who does a hands on service, but I don't tip the teacher when I take a fitness class!