Anything Montreal

sebas030

I have been following some of your posts and really appreciate your advice and information. My friend and I will be spending 3nights in Old Montreal near Marche Bonsecours. Is a taxi from the airport still a fixed rate of $4o CA ? Also, can w walk from our hotel Auberge Bonsecours to the cruise ship with a large rolling suitcase? We are active 71 year olds. Can you recommend good but not expensive restaurants and what sights we should not miss. We will be mostly walking on our own. Thanks for your help in advance !:)

Since the area around Marché Bonsecours is considered downtown, the taxi rate from the airport is indeed 40 CAD. The walk from Auberge Bonsecours to the main terminal is about 12 minutes but you will encounter coblestones so you might be better off taking a cab with your suitcase. To double check if your ship will be docked at the main terminal here is the cruise ship schedule with the directions.

For suggestions of things to do, see my post from last year (# 467).

For restaurants, I will let others make suggestions since I rarely eat out.

Since the area around Marché Bonsecours is considered downtown, the taxi rate from the airport is indeed 40 CAD. The walk from Auberge Bonsecours to the main terminal is about 12 minutes but you will encounter coblestones so you might be better off taking a cab with your suitcase. To double check if your ship will be docked at the main terminal here is the cruise ship schedule with the directions.

For suggestions of things to do, see my post from last year (# 467).

For restaurants, I will let others make suggestions since I rarely eat out.

Jolie Cruiser

Thanks for your help !

I think a cab to the ship is the only option that makes sense as we will be docked at T2 of the main terminal.

Greetings,

We're staying at the Fairmont Royal York Oct 20-23 later this year. Can you recommend some casual places to eat for both lunch and dinner and within a radius of a 10 min walk?

Many thanks

Hopefully you mean Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth - the Royal York is in Toronto! I do know some good places near that...

In Montreal we tend to eat classy or relatively far away from the Queen Lizzie. 3 Brewers/Trois Brasseurs brewpub chain has a branch nearby, with decent flatbread 'pizzas' available; a Dunns branch for smoked meat too (though not a patch of Schwartz's which is worth the schlep there); and of course there's a Timmies - but the one really nice little independent diner I used to frequent on Saint-Jacques behind the Interconty closed down.

Assuming it is Montreal, I'm sure one of the locals will add some other options before long... and if you did book the Royal York by mistake, change it! If it's correct and you're extending your trip to T.O. I'd be happy to suggest more places there, but you'd be best opening another thread than keeping it in this Montreal-specific one - more chance of the locals spotting your request!

Hopefully you mean Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth - the Royal York is in Toronto! I do know some good places near that...

In Montreal we tend to eat classy or relatively far away from the Queen Lizzie. 3 Brewers/Trois Brasseurs brewpub chain has a branch nearby, with decent flatbread 'pizzas' available; a Dunns branch for smoked meat too (though not a patch of Schwartz's which is worth the schlep there); and of course there's a Timmies - but the one really nice little independent diner I used to frequent on Saint-Jacques behind the Interconty closed down.

Assuming it is Montreal, I'm sure one of the locals will add some other options before long... and if you did book the Royal York by mistake, change it! If it's correct and you're extending your trip to T.O. I'd be happy to suggest more places there, but you'd be best opening another thread than keeping it in this Montreal-specific one - more chance of the locals spotting your request!

My apologies. :o Yes it is the Fairmont Royal York in Toronto. I best post on the Toronto thread if there is one.

My apologies. :o Yes it is the Fairmont Royal York in Toronto. I best post on the Toronto thread if there is one.

There's no Toronto thread as it's impossible the cruise there (in theory the Great Lakes could have entirely freshwater cruise itineraries, and in practise there are a handful of options to pootle around on them, but they're virtually unmentioned on this forum).

I did see you have a roll call though, so in case anyone else on your cruise is also doing some land touring pre- or post- I'll go pop some ideas over there for you.

There's no Toronto thread as it's impossible the cruise there (in theory the Great Lakes could have entirely freshwater cruise itineraries, and in practise there are a handful of options to pootle around on them, but they're virtually unmentioned on this forum).

I did see you have a roll call though, so in case anyone else on your cruise is also doing some land touring pre- or post- I'll go pop some ideas over there for you.

That's very thoughtful of you, martincath...thank you :D. Our cruise starts in Quebec on Oct 26 but our 5-day land tour starts in Toronto on Oct 21.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a question for the locals:

We are going to be leaving on a cruise from T-3 on June 9th, which is during the big Formula 1 Race weekend. We will be staying in a hotel on the west-ish side of downtown, and will be taking a taxi to the pier. I looked it up, and the road the taxi will have to go to in order to access terminal 3 is Pie IX Boulevard. How long will it take to get to the pier from Rue Guy a couple of blocks south of Rue St Catherine? And how much (approximately) will the fare be? Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

To estimate the price of a cab ride in Montréal, here is a good link. I don't like to privilege one taxi company over the other but I think the website is well done. Here is the link:

https://taxidiamond.com/en/individual/estimate-taxi-fare

For the duration of the ride, I would use google map. The time will vary according to when you are leaving.

We just booked a cruisetour for October 2019 that begins in Toronto. We, too, are staying at Fairmont Royal York and are looking for dining recommendations nearby. I could not find a Toronto thread so appreciate your help.

We just booked a cruisetour for October 2019 that begins in Toronto. We, too, are staying at Fairmont Royal York and are looking for dining recommendations nearby. I could not find a Toronto thread so appreciate your help.

Rather than clog up Montreal with a city that isn't even in the same province (we'll entirely ignore hockey and other rivalry issues!!!), I'll just link you to the posts I made on the roll call of the poster further up the thread... here and here.

If you have any other Qs, this board is the most relevant to post on... but you should definitely start a new Thread about Toronto rather than posting more in this Montreal-specific thread. Tripadvisor is generally more useful for non-port cities though.

Are taxis easily available at the Montreal cruise port - the newly refurbished one? I have a flight leaving at 12:15PM so wish to leave the port ASAP after disembarking the ship. How long is the ride from the cruise port to the airport?

Thank you Montreal expert.

If your ship is docked at the Main Terminal (T1 T2) the taxi ride to the airport, in ideal conditions, is about 25 minutes. From the comments I have read, there are plenty of taxis waiting at the arrival of the ship. On the other hand, the demand is high so I would get in line as soon as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI - luggage storage in the Montreal cruise terminal is now $5 per bag and the service is available 7am-430pm. It was previously reported to be $2 per bag, so evidently there has been a substantial increase. Regardless of price, we found it to be a worthwhile service as we toured downtown Montréal for the day without worrying about what to do with our luggage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where is a good place in Montreal to purchase wine by the bottle to carry onto the ship?

(if this has already been answered, please forgive me...a search yielded no results).

The closest full service liquor store (SAQ) is at Place d’Armes, just a couple of blocks from the Old Port. If you are satisfied with inexpensive wines you can find them at a dépanneur (convenience store) of which you can find several close to the Port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums