We want to see lunenburg ,mahone bay and peggy's cove in 7 hours

funji1

Cruising to Canada and we will have 7 hours to tour Halifax by minivan with a tour guide.

Is 7 hours enough time see Lunenburg, Mahone Bay and Peggy's Cove ? We are not shoppers and just want to see the non touristy (except Peggy's Cove) local areas, beautiful scenery and seaport villages. If this is too tight a schedule, what do you recommend? We are not so interested in the Titanic Memorials etc. so we can skip that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You know how much time you spend at places taking photos and the like better than I do, so whether it is enough time to enjoy all three of these for YOU I can't really say. I can say that the total drive time is about half of your available time - Google shows just under 3hrs30mins to take in all of those and return to the pier area (quickie map here) - so that gives you less than an hour in each spot (I'm assuming that you keep an hour of padding to allow for getting off the ship, finding the tour vehicle, a little traffic, and being back in time for All Aboard - which is usually at least 30mins before sailaway time, not sure if you have already factored that into your timeframe or not).

NB: you'll need to factor in a lunch break somewhere in there, so offhand I would say that unless you enjoy literally just jumping off, hustling round, grabbing a few pics then piling back into the minivan you very likely want to cut back to two of these three. Since dropping Peggy's Cove saves an hour, vs only 30mins for Lunenberg and none at all for Mahone Bay, and PC is by far the most touristy of the options, I'd say it's the one to drop. Just pick up some postcards of the lighthouse - they'll be better quality than any shot you can take with hordes of tourists swarming the place anyway;-)

You know how much time you spend at places taking photos and the like better than I do, so whether it is enough time to enjoy all three of these for YOU I can't really say. I can say that the total drive time is about half of your available time - Google shows just under 3hrs30mins to take in all of those and return to the pier area (quickie map here) - so that gives you less than an hour in each spot (I'm assuming that you keep an hour of padding to allow for getting off the ship, finding the tour vehicle, a little traffic, and being back in time for All Aboard - which is usually at least 30mins before sailaway time, not sure if you have already factored that into your timeframe or not).

NB: you'll need to factor in a lunch break somewhere in there, so offhand I would say that unless you enjoy literally just jumping off, hustling round, grabbing a few pics then piling back into the minivan you very likely want to cut back to two of these three. Since dropping Peggy's Cove saves an hour, vs only 30mins for Lunenberg and none at all for Mahone Bay, and PC is by far the most touristy of the options, I'd say it's the one to drop. Just pick up some postcards of the lighthouse - they'll be better quality than any shot you can take with hordes of tourists swarming the place anyway;-)

Thanks Martincath for your help. I did allow for us to be back in time for boarding. I pretty much thought the same as you in probably dropping Peggy's Cove but always appreciate and welcome all input from CC which is why I post here ! Thanks again!

Here is a link with information about car rentals and maps, etc. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BjAtDscML-9Ce3VWUUsOrsVhPL7KIxb7Go_9SRi82dE/edit

Be very aware of your time and when you are a bit less than halfway through your available time you need to be heading back. Going to Lunenburg you should take the coastal roads. Coming back you can take the highway.

Mahone Bay is just a slow down on the road. You get the famous view of the three churches before you reach Mahone Bay. Have lunch in Lunenburg (lots of places) visit the Fisheries Museum and wander about with whatever time you have.

This link has good information about the South Shore area of Nova Scotia: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iTNvEXWfiMaXIyHRv82AgrNkthPFT0PzDzhZIr7qRgE/edit

Here is a map for what you can do: https://goo.gl/maps/3whqBEQgyg22 So if you allow four hours for the drive you can work out how much time you can be in Lunenburg.

• Like 1

Here is a link with information about car rentals and maps, etc. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BjAtDscML-9Ce3VWUUsOrsVhPL7KIxb7Go_9SRi82dE/edit

Be very aware of your time and when you are a bit less than halfway through your available time you need to be heading back. Going to Lunenburg you should take the coastal roads. Coming back you can take the highway.

Mahone Bay is just a slow down on the road. You get the famous view of the three churches before you reach Mahone Bay. Have lunch in Lunenburg (lots of places) visit the Fisheries Museum and wander about with whatever time you have.

This link has good information about the South Shore area of Nova Scotia: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iTNvEXWfiMaXIyHRv82AgrNkthPFT0PzDzhZIr7qRgE/edit

Here is a map for what you can do: https://goo.gl/maps/3whqBEQgyg22 So if you allow four hours for the drive you can work out how much time you can be in Lunenburg.

THANKS MaryannNS for the helpful info. However, we really do not want to drive ourselves. Would we be sorry if we missed Peggy's Cove ? The plan was to stop there on our return trip to the ship to avoid the buses. I really want to see Lunenburg as it is a UNESCO site and we have always found them to be very good. Thanks for your help.

THANKS MaryannNS for the helpful info. However, we really do not want to drive ourselves. Would we be sorry if we missed Peggy's Cove ? The plan was to stop there on our return trip to the ship to avoid the buses. I really want to see Lunenburg as it is a UNESCO site and we have always found them to be very good. Thanks for your help.

I was glad we went to Peggy's Cove when we were in Halifax, but if I had limited time, I would skip it. It is a beautiful area to visit on the nice sunny day that we were there, but it's a lighthouse up on huge granite rocks when all is said and done.

Many people forget the Cove part of Peggy's Cove. It is tiny but lovely. If you have a driver he/she can judge the time. It is certainly better to go to Peggy's later in the day.

If I had to choose I would pick Lunenburg.

• 2 weeks later...
We used Paul McNeil for a tour of Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, and Peggy's Cove. We had an excellent time and he is a wealth of knowledge. He has different tours on his website.

paul@halifaxtitanictours.ca

Phone. 902 292 6780.

Sent from my L9 using Tapatalk

Thanks Beachball !

We have our tour guide booked. We dock at 8 am and depart at 4pm. Given the that time frame, and wanting to be back on board by 3pm, can we see all three areas in that time ? If not, which of the three would you delete. We are not shoppers so that does save us time and, lunch, although nice, is not an absolute requirement, we can skip that as well. Thanks for you input.

We were in 7:00-5:00 pm. We started our tour at 8:00 and it was a 6+ hr tour including lunch.

So you should have enough time. Our guide saved Peggy's Cove for last and the crowds were gone but we spent the shortest amount of time here(about 20 minutes).

Enjoy your tour and ship.

Chris and Carl

We were in 7:00-5:00 pm. We started our tour at 8:00 and it was a 6+ hr tour including lunch.

So you should have enough time. Our guide saved Peggy's Cove for last and the crowds were gone but we spent the shortest amount of time here(about 20 minutes).

Enjoy your tour and ship.

Chris and Carl

Thanks for your feedback ! That make me feel more comfortable with our timing. Out guide is also going to Peggy's Cove last to avoid the crowds. He said we would have enough time for our agenda but it is reassuring to hear from someone who has done it as well. Looking forward to this great trip. Happy sailing !

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 6/14/2018 at 12:18 PM, funji1 said:

Thanks for your feedback ! That make me feel more comfortable with our timing. Out guide is also going to Peggy's Cove last to avoid the crowds. He said we would have enough time for our agenda but it is reassuring to hear from someone who has done it as well. Looking forward to this great trip. Happy sailing !

Much of what you have discussed is exactly what my questions are too. 

Our trip is Oct. 2019. 

Will you please update on  how your day went and how the agenda worked out for you. 

As far as seeing the villages, is there much to see walking around Peggys Cove? I’m thinking if I had to choose “quaint” I’d prefer Lunenburg. 

Paul McNeil is booked already, I’d be looking to reserve another tour operated. 

Thank you !

chris 

Been to all 3 and would do Lunenberg and Mahone Bay. We did both together, had time for sightseeing and lunch at leisure, not full of tourists. Lovely towns especially in the fall. Lunenburg is a hidden gem. Peggy Cove is picturesque but often very crowded and could be a disappointment on a foggy day

On 2/2/2019 at 5:44 PM, RTR08 said:

Much of what you have discussed is exactly what my questions are too. 

Our trip is Oct. 2019. 

Will you please update on  how your day went and how the agenda worked out for you. 

As far as seeing the villages, is there much to see walking around Peggys Cove? I’m thinking if I had to choose “quaint” I’d prefer Lunenburg. 

Paul McNeil is booked already, I’d be looking to reserve another tour operated. 

Thank you !

chris 

Hi Chris!

I highly recommend Halifax Tour Guys for your day trip.  We went to Lunenburg first.  It is a quaint town however, the weather did not cooperate so it was very foggy and we were unable to get any memorable photos.   Peggy's Cove is picturesque and a must see if you are in Halifax.  As Halifax Tour Guys recommended we went there on our way back to the cruise ship so it was less crowded and the weather had improved for photos!  We walked from the lighthouse down the slight hill through the little town, went into gift shops and bought great Lobster Rolls to eat in the car.  It is an easy walk. We had requested Lem but he was unable to be our guide so we had AL for the day.  It was a great trip and would highly recommend this tour.  We were on a cruise and had plenty of time to see what we wanted plus more and still got back to the ship with plenty of time to spare. Good luck and enjoy your trip !

16 hours ago, funji1 said:

Hi Chris!

I highly recommend Halifax Tour Guys for your day trip.  We went to Lunenburg first.  It is a quaint town however, the weather did not cooperate so it was very foggy and we were unable to get any memorable photos.   Peggy's Cove is picturesque and a must see if you are in Halifax.  As Halifax Tour Guys recommended we went there on our way back to the cruise ship so it was less crowded and the weather had improved for photos!  We walked from the lighthouse down the slight hill through the little town, went into gift shops and bought great Lobster Rolls to eat in the car.  It is an easy walk. We had requested Lem but he was unable to be our guide so we had AL for the day.  It was a great trip and would highly recommend this tour.  We were on a cruise and had plenty of time to see what we wanted plus more and still got back to the ship with plenty of time to spare. Good luck and enjoy your trip !

Thanks a million for the information! 

As I read about Lunenburg, I really want to see it.   However, DH and I have never been to Canada - (the migration cruise this October is a first for us) - and he is reading about how lovely Halifax is - he’s leaning towards staying in Halifax and enjoying all that it has to offer.    Decisions, decisions! 

Thank you! 

Chris 

I believe Peggy's Cove is a must see when in Halifax.  I saw another post that said the opposite, and its really a matter of opinion. But, we were there only a short time on our tour and I wish we could have stayed longer to climb around the rock formations more.  It was beautiful, but I enjoy scenery and landscape so maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much. It's a cute little town, too.

Here is a 360 degree video of the rock formations at Peggy's Cover.

22 hours ago, RTR08 said:

Thanks a million for the information! 

As I read about Lunenburg, I really want to see it.   However, DH and I have never been to Canada - (the migration cruise this October is a first for us) - and he is reading about how lovely Halifax is - he’s leaning towards staying in Halifax and enjoying all that it has to offer.    Decisions, decisions! 

Thank you! 

Chris 

I think it depends on what is important to you.  If you are history buffs I'd stay in the area (Citadel, museums, etc), Titanic aficionados - explore those sites, nature and picturesque sites, Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove.  It's hard to make a bad decision, and fortunately it is a common cruise stop so you can go again to see the spots you missed 😉 

We thought about Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove, and maybe some wineries, but didn't want to spend that much time on the road.  When we visited in 2017 the weather was gorgeous and we had a great day walking around the city enjoying its sites.

Have a great time whatever you decide.