Fairsea?

mystte

Hi does anyone know if a ship called the Fairsea back in the 50s was a P&O ship. I don't know much about ship names from back then but I think some of you do. Was just talking to my father and he mentioned we came out from Europe on that ship os something like it - it was my birthday and well... a couple or more reds... you know what I mean:D

Fairsea was a Sitmar ship, after having served with Cunard. Sitmar was later absorbed by Princess, which at the time was owned by P&O.

We sailed her (with Sitmar) to Alaska, RT from San Francisco, 6-78.

She later sailed with P&O Australia, and then was scrapped.

Much more information about her on Cruise Critic's "whatever happened to" forum, or you could "google" her.

Thank you Druke, looked up the site and now will do a search - knew someone would have an idea.

Great site "Whatever happened to" nice to see you there Karmac - you were lucky to cruise at 14 as I was only a baby on crossing and don't remember a thing! Need to make up for it!

I sailed from England to Australia on the Fairsea in 1967 a very long and slow trip (1 day less than 5 weeks). A very rough trip at times as she had no stabilisers. The Oriana who left England two weeks after us arrived before us. We were the last passenger ship through the Suez Canal before it was closed for a while, travelled through the Suez Canal with armed soldiers on board and boats behind us in the convoy were stuck in the canal. We were prevented from stopping at Aden due to the war and had to stop at Djbouti instead. An interesting experience for a 10 year old.:)

druke got his fairsea s mixed up the original fairsea was scrapped in 1967 after a fire on a trip to england. it was a migrant ship used to bring 10 pound migrants to australia. the second fairsea was named fair princess when princess took her over, plenty of info on original fairsea on maritime matters website

Unfortunately, that is a common problem when ship's names are recycled, without addition of a numeric identifier.

I run into the same problem when I talk about our trip on Sea Princess (not the current ship), which was originally Kungsholm, then SP, then Victoria, and currently Mona Lisa.

Sorery if I mislead anyone by confusing two Fairseas.

All's well - I looked up the ship and its history. Very interesting. I did realize there were two ships and that the original had a fire in the engine room and was towed to port, and as they were unable to buy the necessary parts to fix her economically, she was scrapped.

I came out from Poland in1959 and had my first birthday on board - I guess that's an anniversary right now as it was my birthday on Sunday.

That's an interesting comment you make suey re stabilizers as my father says that my mother and about 90% of people were extremely sick on ship - no wonder!!! I just assumed she had a bad bout of sea sickness and was preparing myself for the worst in case I took after her and not my Father!!!!

I will assume the Pacific Sun will be a little better....:D

Happy Birthday, Mystte

Don't put too much faith in stabilizers. They are designed to reduce roll, but have no desireable affect on pitch - in fact, they will be retracted in pitching seas, as they often tend to pull the ship down by the bow, not unlike diving planes on a submarine. That is not a good thing for a surface ship.

They are also often retracted when the ship is travelling at high speed, as they create a lot of drag, and adversely affect fuel consumption.

Hi does anyone know if a ship called the Fairsea back in the 50s was a P&O ship. I don't know much about ship names from back then but I think some of you do. Was just talking to my father and he mentioned we came out from Europe on that ship os something like it - it was my birthday and well... a couple or more reds... you know what I mean:D

Here is a link with a 1955 photo of Fairsea

http://www.fremantleports.com.au/About/PhotoGallery/19501959.asp

Thank you Michael for your kind wishes.

I shall take the Kwells with me incase I get sick!:)

Luci

Hi Luci,

A piece of advice from me too. Don't just take the Kwells with you, actually take them!! They are a preventative medicine and really don't do much if you actually take them after you start to feel sick. We usually have them prior to sailing on every cruise.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Thank you Chaz, I have heard that you need to start taking meducation before you get on board - how long before should I start.

I have been on boats with no prpb but back in 1990 crossing from UK to Netherlands I did feel strange so assumed it was seasickness and went to bed, but I have heard that that could be a rough crossing.

I just hope I really aren't prone to it. Fingers crossed.

And JLC@SD many thanks for the photos - I just wish I had the memories to go with it!:)

Luci

Hi Luci,

We usually take ours about 1/2 hour before sailing. I then normally have another that night before going to bed. Most times that is enough. Others in here have said they take them for the first few days back on dry land as well to help with the dizziness when they get back on solid ground.

Everyone is different and you should do what works for you. Other hints for sea sickness. Do something straight away if you start to feel dizzy or nauseous. Go for a walk on deck in the fresh air or simply go for a walk to another part of the ship if you can't go outside for any reason, have a drink of ginger ale or just find something else to distract you.

And if all else fails admit defeat and go and get an injection. Don't just go and lie on your bed and waste your holiday. You can claim the cost back on most travel insurance policies and though it may reduce your spending money while on board isn't it better to miss a little bit of money than miss a heap of your cruise.

Cheers,

Chaz

Hi Luci

On our cruise I took Kwells & Phernergen with me. We have 3 children (10,11 & 15) and our youngest suffers from car sickness so I knew that if any of us were going to get sick it would be him. Half hour before we left I made all the kids take a Kwells (DH & I didn't take any but we had sailed before with no probs & I was more concerned about being confined to a cabin with a sick child rather than myself being sick). That was the only think they took until 2 days before returning home when we had a rough day. We gave our youngest a Kwells but it was too late as he was already feeling a bit queezy so I gave him some Phernergan. We had to take him to the docs (otherwise he wouldn't have been allowed back in kids club) but the doc cleared him & he was fine after that.

Karen

• 5 years later...

I was 8 years old when I travelled on this ship. From Southampton to Sydney Suez was closed. Lot of very rough weather. mum sick everyday. We even had a suicide on board. :mad: Loved the big day when we passed across the equator. As a kid it was a big adventure travelled with my younger sister, mum and dad. Monopoly was the game to play.

Edited by karen59

• 6 years later...

My Dad and 2 brothers used to go every year from Melbourne, Aus. to Malta. I would never go as I was afraid of drowning, I stayed home with my Mother. I remember walking on the ship with my parents and brothers prior to debarkation and the waiters were standing by the staircase in their pristine tuxedos, holding a tray with drinks (don’t remember what) and they had a towel over their arm. We would try to throw streamers up to my Dad from the pier as the ship was getting ready to leave! Wonderful memory of my childhood, I was around 8, I’m 75 now! Ire ember two of the ships names Fairsea and Fairsky!

Unfortunately, that is a common problem when ship's names are recycled, without addition of a numeric identifier.

I run into the same problem when I talk about our trip on Sea Princess (not the current ship), which was originally Kungsholm, then SP, then Victoria, and currently Mona Lisa.

I'm afraid she was scrapped in 2015 under another name, Veronica.

Bal