Sightseeing report from Sydney, Nova Scotia

coffee drinker

We've just completed a Boston-Montreal cruise, including a Sydney, Nova Scotia, port stop; since we've visited area attractions, we were pleased that Sydney made the most of its offerings.

Churches: St Patrick's (art display, singer/guitarist playing),

St George Anglican (organist, two ladies in period dress / hats for Q-A, pictures)

Historic buildings: Jost and Cossit homes (period dress docents at Cossit giving explanations), old bank building downtown open also.

Cape Breton Island music: Governor's Pub (violinist and guitarist in upstairs lounge 12-3 on 'ship' days). A local gal danced a bit. Plus excellent food, service. A highlight -- we love CBI fiddlin' !

And a bag piper near terminal adding to the atmosphere. Thanks, Sydney!

Coffee Drinker

Edited by coffee drinker
corrections, additions

Thank you for posting this. I will add it to our Sydney cruise document. I am really glad to hear about the music at the Governor's Pub. When the music is fiddling the instrument is called a fiddle by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We were in Sydney twice last fall while on B2B Canada/New England cruises. Not only are the Cosset and Jost historic homes easily walkable from the cruise terminal, we could see the Governor's Pub from the ship. We had lunch there both times, and thought the food excellent.

Also, there is a craft market in the Sydney cruise terminal. I bought a lovely pair of handcrafted earrings from the lady who made them -- always makes the item more special when you meet the person who made it.