New practice regarding auto gratuities removal.

majortom10

Didn’t see this on our bar receipts on Oceana - returned 7 June. We were asked to complete a form before the AG were removed though - basic details (name/cabin/MDR) then your reasons for reducing/removing AG

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That seems reasonable to absolve blaim from any crew members.

Selbourne

Just off Aurora, can confirm added on 2nd day.

For the first time, had mine removed and paid directly.

And no, it is not shown on the purchase receipts.

Told the relevant staff from day one what I intended to do, they did not comment, but seemed very happy.

We had fabulous service.

Make of that what you will.

Also Flam, not a lot there, walked all around, nice but did not take much time.

The railway I think caused a problem to some disability cruisers, ramp far to steep for some to gain access.

We saw the ramp, heart attack hill.

Yes gratuities are added on Day 2 which is usually when we remove them, or even Day 3. I'm sure this is rubbish. about the receipts. Doesn't even make sense as someone else said commission is paid to waiters in the bars, nothing to do with tips.

Has anyone thought of just leaving them on there to reward all the people that work so hard?

Just a thought...

If you look through the other recent tipping threads (there are plenty to choose from) you will see why so many people are now removing them. I say that in the hope that it will save the same arguments being repeated here year again (but I suspect that I might fail)!

If this is really true and they are printing the opt out on receipts then it will probably go down in cruise line history (if you excuse the expression) as one of the worst PR blunders of our time !

Surely, they can't be that stupid !!!

It will make many people who were not 100% sure to dig their heels in and take off the tips!

Can't think of anything more to say than, "Oh dear!"

Has anyone thought of just leaving them on there to reward all the people that work so hard?

Just a thought...

Very good idea we always do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If this is really true and they are printing the opt out on receipts then it will probably go down in cruise line history (if you excuse the expression) as one of the worst PR blunders of our time !

Surely, they can't be that stupid !!!

It will make many people who were not 100% sure to dig their heels in and take off the tips!

Can't think of anything more to say than, "Oh dear!"

Presto have you heard of the expression ‘Wind Up’

This one is working quite well.

Presto have you heard of the expression ‘Wind Up’

This one is working quite well.

Yip, but I thought that the thread about changing the drink policy was a 'wind up' too and then that became a reality. I suppose nothing surprises me anymore !

I do think that sometimes with cruise lines the 'inmates are often in charge of the asylum' ---- its not just P&O either :D

Only time will tell ;-)

Left tips on Queen Mary 2 a few years ago and last day the cabin steward kept leaving cards around the cabin saying hope you were happy with the service I was trying to avoid her and felt awful so I will be taking them off & tipping steward waiter barman etc with cash

Left tips on Queen Mary 2 a few years ago and last day the cabin steward kept leaving cards around the cabin saying hope you were happy with the service I was trying to avoid her and felt awful so I will be taking them off & tipping steward waiter barman etc with cash

That kind of behaviour woukd make me think twice about leaving an extra cash tip on top of auto. Much like the cabin steward asking to be marked 'excellent' immediately guarantees that they won't be getting an 'excellent' score.

I thought it was daily on our New year 2016 cruise on Ventura but we left it on so it was okay.

You often mention ‘SeaPass’ accounts, which isn’t a P&O term, so maybe you are thinking of a different Cruise line that adds service charges daily? Just a thought.

You often mention ‘SeaPass’ accounts, which isn’t a P&O term, so maybe you are thinking of a different Cruise line that adds service charges daily? Just a thought.
I forget seapass cards are RCCL where we are Diamond+ 187 nights on RC and prepay our gratuities on there.

We did our first P&O cruise on Aurora in 2003 and have 93 P&O nights sailing and have 2 short P&O cruises booked for this year but our last P&O cruise was the 4 nights 2016/17 new year cruise on Ventura.

They are charged in one go, usually around the 2nd day of the cruise. You can ask for them to be removed at any time during your cruise, including the last day.

As the charge was never authorised it can removed up to six years after the cruise ends.