dying to hear updates from the Magic in the Med!

CanuckonaBoat

I sent an email to DCL expressing concern over the repeating of shows in the WDT. Our family tradition is to attend most of the shows in the theatre and we enjoy seeing something different each night. We often skip the nights where we have seen a show one too many times. Following is an excerpt of their reply:

“As the schedules are subject to change without notice, the live show

schedules are not published in advance. Please check the Personal

Navigator designed for your cruise once onboard for the most up-to-date

information for your cruise.

Various message boards located on the internet are created by cruisers

who are not affiliated with Disney Cruise Vacations or Walt Disney

World. Because of this, we do not offer or recommend any information

about these independent sites.”

They did thank us for our loyalty to DCL. However, this response didn’t really address the core of this issue and was a disappointment. I have written them twice in the past and both times they were very responsive. Not this time.

We will be with DCL in Alaska later this summer, and I hope to get a better view from our cruise director, whomever that may be.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You might address your concerns to Christiaan Abbott who is the shoreside director of entertainment for the cruise line (after many years as a CD.) Yes, he's obligated to tote the party line, but he will likely have a more realistic response.

He'd a neat guy--started as a stage performer and moved thru the ranks. He does great back flips on stage in his uniform!

You might address your concerns to Christiaan Abbott who is the shoreside director of entertainment for the cruise line (after many years as a CD.) Yes' date=' he's obligated to tote the party line, but he will likely have a more realistic response.

He'd a neat guy--started as a stage performer and moved thru the ranks. He does great back flips on stage in his uniform![/quote']

That is an excellent suggestion! Thank you! I have been on cruises where Christiaan was the cruise director and agree with your comments.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on the June 2nd Med sailing and experienced the repeat shows. Was disappointed and added comments on it to the comment card. Also, after I returned they sent me an additional survey and there were specific questions about the double shows so I expressed my unhappiness again through that vehicle. During the cruise the cruise director kept saying, "we're offering you more choices" and said that they still had the same number of variety acts as on other cruises. But the fact was that the variety act was only offered at the same time as an alternative for one of the times at Fathoms. I did take advantage of this and Fathoms was packed. The other nights that there were dups the variety acts were offered at times that were difficult for me to get to because we either hadn't finished dinner or they were very late at night and I had early port excursions the next day. Then as far as the movie alternative it seemed like it was Avengers Infinity War almost every night (rather than Solo) so that wasn't a good alternative either.

With that being said we had an amazing time on our cruise and I would very much recommend it to others. I'd be happy to answer any questions that anyone has.

We are heading to the July 7 Med cruise. I have a question? Was Walt Disney Theatre packed on the double shows? Historically, many will line up 30 mins prior to the show to 'reserve' a seats. Did you experience this?

they can't have matinees on the med cruises - which is where the magic is now..

well they can on sea days, but there are very few of those on the port intensive med cruises...

i wonder if this schedule is specifically because the magic is in the med right now..

there are issues with the med cruises, the theater shows being one of them..

My daughter was on the magic in the med 2 years ago.

More than half of the ship were non-native english speakers, many speaking no english at all.

She said it impacted various aspects of the cruise, including the shows.

She was particularly irritated by the constant talking during the theater shows - both people just talking and people doing a running translation for their children.

(the other problem being the inability of certain cultures to stand in line - but that's another story).

so perhaps disney has altered the theater schedule for the med as a result of some of these issues?

in the recent navigators on scott's website from before the magic crossed the atlantic, it doesn't seem like they duplicated shows.

It seems to have occurred once they reached europe?

When I was on the Med cruise I really didn't notice a difference in the amount of non-English speakers compared to my other Disney cruises in the Caribbean. It didn't impact me at all. Also, on another message board others have confirmed the trend of the duplicate shows for the Wonder as well, so it's not just the Magic where this is occurring.

• 2 weeks later...
We are heading to the July 7 Med cruise. I have a question? Was Walt Disney Theatre packed on the double shows? Historically, many will line up 30 mins prior to the show to 'reserve' a seats. Did you experience this?

Part of the problem is the announcement that the doors will open 30 minutes before the shows. People take that to mean that they should show up 30 minutes early. And yes, if you want to sit in the first row, that's needed.

Saving seats is another issue entirely. It is clearly stated in the Navigator that this is not permitted, and yet we had more trouble with it in the Med than most other locations. You are welcome to take any seat that is not occupied by someone's bottom...and if the punk kid trying to save 13 seats objects, suggest that he get a crew member and point out where it says "No saving seats." I can buy into "my spouse went to the rest room," even though this is often a lie.....but not "I'm the designated seat saver."