Change of Plans

Countrygurl

Currently have a pre cruise room booked at Country Inn for 4 women (3 seniors) on Aug 30 for one night. Today when looking at RC excursions, we thought we might want to book the Manhattan excursion post cruise. The issue is we have a 1:55 pm flight out of EWR and the excursion indicates flight cannot be before 3:00 pm. So now we are thinking about canceling our reservation at CI and booking in Jersey City so we can do some Manhattan sightseeing. Our flight arrives at 1:18 pm so not a great deal of time. Here are the details. We need one room. Preferably 2 queen beds. I am looking at Hyatt House. Thoughts? What would the cost be from EWR to the hotel for 4 women with LARGE luggage (reminder 3 are seniors)? Available transportation to port and approximate cost? Ideas, thoughts and recommendations appreciated. I tend to overthink!

Currently have a pre cruise room booked at Country Inn for 4 women (3 seniors) on Aug 30 for one night. Today when looking at RC excursions, we thought we might want to book the Manhattan excursion post cruise. The issue is we have a 1:55 pm flight out of EWR and the excursion indicates flight cannot be before 3:00 pm. So now we are thinking about canceling our reservation at CI and booking in Jersey City so we can do some Manhattan sightseeing. Our flight arrives at 1:18 pm so not a great deal of time. Here are the details. We need one room. Preferably 2 queen beds. I am looking at Hyatt House. Thoughts? What would the cost be from EWR to the hotel for 4 women with LARGE luggage (reminder 3 are seniors)? Available transportation to port and approximate cost? Ideas, thoughts and recommendations appreciated. I tend to overthink!

Hyatt House is a new offering. I'm seeing a 2 queen room with den area for $220 plus tax for your date. Terrific price!

Get quotes from Dial7 and Carmellimo for EWR to hotel and hotel to port. Figure base fare plus 18-20% tip plus a few dollars in turnpike toll. I'm thinking it would be in the $75 range.

What do you want to see in NYC? You need to understand the PATH map and how it interacts with the NY subway in order to make good transportation route choices.

Here's the path map.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Here's the subway map

http://web.mta.info/maps/Large_Print_Map.pdf

Hyatt House is at the Exchange Place PATH Station. Getting to downtown Manhattan is easy - one stop to World Trade.

However, if you're going somewhere in midtown that is not within walking distance of 33rd and 6th (or one of the other PATH stations), it could be easier to go to World Trade and pick up the appropriate subway in lower Manhattan, where all the subways are close by. Lots of folks on this board are ready to give advice.

Thanks 138east! You always have the best advice! We would like to see World Trade and perhaps SOL, if that's even doable.

Got2cruise, the seniors in our group have no mobility issues. They are early 70's and all in good shape.

Thanks 138east! You always have the best advice! We would like to see World Trade and perhaps SOL, if that's even doable.

Got2cruise, the seniors in our group have no mobility issues. They are early 70's and all in good shape.

Do you want to actually go out to the SOL? If so it is doable if your plane is on time, but you'd only get about an hour and a half out there. I would NOT buy tickets ahead.

What you could do is this. Drop your luggage off at the hotel. Take a cab to Liberty State Park in Jersey City (read the security restrictions so you don't have any prohibited stuff). You might also be able to have your car service do this as well. You need to be there at least 30 minutes ahead to buy ferry tickets and and get through security.

https://www.statuecruises.com/departure-schedule#/

There is a 3:25 and a 3:55 ferry from Liberty State Park to the SOL. Crowds for the SOL are always less from NJ, so even though tickets are not guaranteed, you should be able to get them late in the day from NJ.

You can return to Battery Park in lower Manhattan. The last ferry is 5:25. From Battery Park you can walk up to the World Trade area passing Bowling Green Park, the end of Wall St, and Trinity Church. To get back you take any PATH train 1 stop to Exchange Place.

If you don't actually want to go out to the SOL, then you can just take PATH to World Trade and walk to Battery Park for views.

Do you want to actually go out to the SOL? If so it is doable if your plane is on time, but you'd only get about an hour and a half out there. I would NOT buy tickets ahead.

What you could do is this. Drop your luggage off at the hotel. Take a cab to Liberty State Park in Jersey City (read the security restrictions so you don't have any prohibited stuff). You might also be able to have your car service do this as well. You need to be there at least 30 minutes ahead to buy ferry tickets and and get through security.

https://www.statuecruises.com/departure-schedule#/

There is a 3:25 and a 3:55 ferry from Liberty State Park to the SOL. Crowds for the SOL are always less from NJ, so even though tickets are not guaranteed, you should be able to get them late in the day from NJ.

You can return to Battery Park in lower Manhattan. The last ferry is 5:25. From Battery Park you can walk up to the World Trade area passing Bowling Green Park, the end of Wall St, and Trinity Church. To get back you take any PATH train 1 stop to Exchange Place.

If you don't actually want to go out to the SOL, then you can just take PATH to World Trade and walk to Battery Park for views.

Thank you! I like the idea of just viewing the SOL at Battery Park.

Sorry but this mid-westerner is not used to big cities and trains, so........ if we stay at Hyatt House for instance, we could arrange for transportation to the hotel, drop off luggage, then take the PATH train to WT. Then can we walk from WT to Battery Park? Or do we take the Path train again? Then from Battery Park is the ferry an option?