First Timer on a River Cruise ever, using Viking for Grand Europe

ledzepfan

Don't overpack, and it's not necessary to bring any formal attire. Have some small bills/Euros for tipping local day guides.

Bring a travel umbrella (just in case) and a couple of pairs of comfortable walking shoes to alternate.

Hello,

My wife and I are going on our first river cruise in early September. Does anyone have any tips, pointers and recommendations for this type of cruise of 14 days?

Thanks!

I would prepare yourself by reading lots of information on river cruising. We did this cruise and throughly enjoyed it. However you should be aware that ocean and river cruising are 2 very different animals. Time on board, entertainment, tours etc. can be different than a long term ocean cruiser might expect. If you go to the river cruise boards and do some searching you will discover some quite negative threads. Those are usually begun by cruisers who had unclear expectations as to what a river cruise would be like. Also don’t expect much out of a roll call as in general you will only have 1-2 others on it.

Reading up on the areas and history of where you will be will enhance your trip tremendously and there is a good bit of it as you have excursions everyday on that cruise.

Bring some Lysol for your bathroom.

You'll find that river cruises are informal, and very port intensive. There isn't much going on after dinner, because the ship docks early the next day, tours start at 8:30 am, and most passengers are there for the cities.

More than once, I have made it back on board right before dinner and gone straight to the dining room in the clothes i wore all day. I didn't stand out at all.

Make sure you take supportive, well broken in shoes. You will do a lot of walking on pavement and cobblestones. Take at least 2 pairs so you can change them if your feet need a break. Take layers in case it is cold and rainy. I also take a couple of scarves that go with my tops -- a lot of churches will not let you in unless knees and shoulders are covered (hello, scarf as shoulder wrap!), and that's your secret weapon when you drop raclette down the front of your shirt and want to keep exploring (fluff scarf to cover the stain, and keep on going.).

Even though most river cruise companies say that alcohol is only provided at lunch and dinner, they are generous with their pours. Don't buy a beverage plan right away.

You will be typically docked in the city, so you can go independently wherever you would like. Just make sure you get back before they cast off.

Mostly, enjoy! It's a lovely way to travel.