Cabin with plants on balcony- Azura

Eveglos

The Azura does retain a semblance of a seagoing vessel and not that of a cheap floating discotek that so many of them have become. But we loved the Azura more for the passengers than the ship itself. What a pleasure to be among the Brits for our two weeks as compared to the alternative... Looking forward to our return in 2019 even more so considering world events.

As to views of the exterior of the balconies aboard this and so many other ships, the structure and layout has always bought this to mind...:evilsmile:

Azura Stable

Thanks for the kind words regarding looking forward to us Brits being your sailing companions in 2019 :beer-toast:

BTW, like your sense of humour :D

We also love Celebrity and have 3 future cruises booked with them but it’s time for a change and it seems that P&O fits the bill. The itinerary on our cruise sold it to us and that’s the important thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would you mind saying why you didn’t like the Azura. We’ve booked our first ever P&O cruise on the Azura for Christmas so it would be helpful to know what to expect. Are you comparing it with other ships?

Really liked the Azura - can't think of any fault to pick at all and we are on her again next Aug for 2 weeks, can't wait. Actually have been on a few P&O ships and enjoyed them all. And for comparison we have cruised with P&O, Princess, Celebrity and Carnival. Favourite would be Princess tied with P&O, then Carnival and then Celebrity.

We have sailed on all of P&O's ships and Azura is one of our favourites.

I am sure you will have a great time.:D

BTW, I think for some Azura is considered to large for their liking and prefer the smaller ships.

The Azura was sharing a dock with the Carnival Magic for the day. As an advocate of "A picture is worth 1,000 words" I took this photo to show the passengers of the Carnival Magic, of which there can be as many as 6,000, returning to their ship after a day of touring. Unfortunately it began to rain. The embarking line went on for hours. For anyone suggesting that the Azura may be too large, they should see this photo.

Carnival Magic.3 copy

The Azura was sharing a dock with the Carnival Magic for the day. As an advocate of "A picture is worth 1,000 words" I took this photo to show the passengers of the Carnival Magic, of which there can be as many as 6,000, returning to their ship after a day of touring. Unfortunately it began to rain. The embarking line went on for hours. For anyone suggesting that the Azura may be too large, they should see this photo.

Carnival Magic.3 copy

Thanks for sharing the photo.:eek:

As you say some think Azura is big but us P&O cruisers will have to wait for IONA, which at 5,200 passenger capacity will be more comparable with the likes of Carnival Magic.:D

Thanks for sharing the photo.:eek:

As you say some think Azura is big but us P&O cruisers will have to wait for IONA, which at 5,200 passenger capacity will be more comparable with the likes of Carnival Magic.:D

I saw a relatively medium Carnival ship in the Caribbean during August, when it was ridiculously hot, re-embarking passengers. They had one gangway operational and one scanner on the go, security seemed to be making sure nobody was smuggling alcohol back onto the ship. People were fainting on the quayside in a very long queue and people were beginning to shout their displeasure at the whole incident.

When we returned to our significantly larger ship and we found that two gangways were open and scanning etc. was taking place at a much more rapid rate. On the quayside a member of staff was calling "iced towel sir/madam" as people neared the queue and tonging them into your open hand. People discarded them into a receptacle near the start of the gangway.

P&O's standards are extremely near to the latter and Carnival unfortunately is a budget cruise line which is why the process generates a far less efficient re-boarding situation and exacerbated problems.

Regards John

I saw a relatively medium Carnival ship in the Caribbean during August, when it was ridiculously hot, re-embarking passengers. They had one gangway operational and one scanner on the go, security seemed to be making sure nobody was smuggling alcohol back onto the ship. People were fainting on the quayside in a very long queue and people were beginning to shout their displeasure at the whole incident.

When we returned to our significantly larger ship and we found that two gangways were open and scanning etc. was taking place at a much more rapid rate. On the quayside a member of staff was calling "iced towel sir/madam" as people neared the queue and tonging them into your open hand. People discarded them into a receptacle near the start of the gangway.

P&O's standards are extremely near to the latter and Carnival unfortunately is a budget cruise line which is why the process generates a far less efficient re-boarding situation and exacerbated problems.

Regards John

Thanks, points taken John.

Carnival Magic.3 copy

Just for accuracy sake, Carnival Magic is not that much bigger than Azura. Magic is 128,000 tons and Azura 113,000. Carnival Magic holds between 3600 & 4500 pax and Azura between 3100 & 3600. Certainly doesn't make that queue for embarkation any better though!!!

Would you mind saying why you didn’t like the Azura. We’ve booked our first ever P&O cruise on the Azura for Christmas so it would be helpful to know what to expect. Are you comparing it with other ships?

Hi, yes. When she was fairly new we thought we would give her a try. But I just found her too big, too noisy. There were lots of things I didn't like, although the cabins were good. The constant noise from the seascreen, loud music at the other pool. I obviously like smaller ships. She just didn't do it for us, but lots of people do like her. She has a strange layout inside to my mind, no decent Prom Deck. Also, it took 45 minutes to get back on board in the heat in Corfu, but maybe they#ve got that better by now.

Just to add, if you have never cruised, you will probably thoroughly enjoy Azura. There is no doubt I was going to compare when I sailed on her. can't compare her to Ventura because have not sailed on her. Trying Aurora next year.

Edited by jeanlyon

Hi Jean and thank you for your reply. We have done lots of cruising, just not with P&O that’s why I asked if you were comparing her with another ship on the off chance we may have sailed on it at some time.

Ah OK,, well we started cruising on tiny ships. The Athena, only about 650 passengers. Then we tried P&O on Artemis and carried on up to Oriana and Arcadia. The Azura was a step too far for the reasons I gave.