How much do you pack for a 7 day cruise?

Caps_Shield

Given the weight restrictions on flights (and we always have to fly), I don't want to over pack. At the same time, I don't want to be restricted to too few options and have to do laundry on such a short cruise.

Being a bit of an over planner, I have a packing list on my computer. I copy it and modify it as needed for each trip (I also print it out and bring a copy so I don't forget anything when packing at the end of the cruise)

I also make a spread sheet just for clothes. Each column is a day, separated into morning, afternoon and evening. Depending on our planned activities that day, I'll list the individual clothing items I'll wear: top, bottom, shoes, accessories. Evening wear is worn more than once. Tops and bottoms are mix and match so the bottoms can be worn twice. Shoes are limited to flip flops, day time sandals or shoe, and one evening shoe. And I always pack 2 bathing suits ( learned after I broke a strap on the only suit I brought :eek:).

This really helps avoid over packing.

I am Platinum now, so send out laundry, but I really wouldn't need to with this list. DH and I get a huge chuckle everytime we walk the halls the first and last night with the massive suitcases of stuff that people bring.

I get huge chuckle every time I read a post where folks make sure we all know they are Platinum. This one is really funny as it actually says being Platinum has no relevance to the answer.

I get huge chuckle every time I read a post where folks make sure we all know they are Platinum. This one is really funny as it actually says being Platinum has no relevance to the answer.

Well actually it does. They are saying that since they are Platinum, they take advantage of the free laundry that is a perk of said status. So maybe they need to pack less since they can get some things washed.

I always start with the bag and the destination. For a cruise, as opposed to a land trip, I will take a bigger bag. This is based on how little I actually have possession of the bag and how little I have to lug it around. On a road trip, smaller is better since I will be carrying the bag more often.

I refuse to do laundry on a 7 day or even a 10 day cruise and I like having choices. But I can get all I need (and more) in a 25 inch bag plus under-seat carry-on. It takes a little planning, and sometimes I pack, unpack and re-pack til I get it right.

The 12 day cruise I took with 4 day pre-cruise land trip was a little tougher. Different weather patterns from one place to another and different site-seeing venues. Think museums versus trekking down some rough terrain and back, or maybe taking on a whole city using public transport. What I did was start out with 4 complete outfits. I figured if I wore each outfit twice and did laundry once that I could make those 4 outfits last 16 days.

That didn't come anywhere near filling up the 25 inch, so from there I added tops, another pair of pants, the appropriate rain-gear. Gloves, hiking shoes, walking shoes, formal wear, toiletries. All that added to the outfit I wore on the plane and I had all I needed with maybe one or two things I didn't wear.

I plan for one wet outfit and one dry outfit per day. Plus a dry outfit for disembarkation day.

I reuse shorts and jeans, my shorts are quick drying wet/dry shorts so I can wear one pair two days in a row if we plan a late night hot tub visit.

If we plan on partaking in formal night I'll pack a sports coat, slacks and tie. For the rest of the 'dry outfits' I'll wear either a dress shirt or button down short sleeve shirt and jeans/chinos for dinner.

The short sleeve button downs are also used for excursions the next day (assuming I didn't spill wine all over it).

For shoes I limit myself to a pair of flip flops, boat shoes and tevas. The tevas are really just for excursions.

I'm a runner so I do have to pack running shorts, but I just reuse the previous day's wet shirt for my runs.

For disembarkation day I pack a pair of regular shorts and a t-shirt.

One way to save space is to invest in traveling underwear. Usually they're synthetic, sweat wicking and fast drying with an antimicrobial coating. A quick wash in the sink with regular soap, or wearing them in the shower, and they're clean again. They're also super comfortable.

On sea days, I wear shorts to breakfast, and then I'm in my bathing suit until time to get ready for dinner...I can wear those shorts a couple times to breakfast! Pretty much same with hubby....

I do bring all my own toiletries, and hairdryer, and electric curlers...that takes up space!

PRETTY close to us...

Port days require a sundress or capris.

We have done a carry on & a backpack & still didn't wear everything...and DH even brings a couple dress shirts! (I got a really nice packing envelope for dress shirts.

I think only you can answer this question. All these people packing a carry on for a 7 day cruise are giving me anxiety lol. Fortunately I drive to port when I cruise, so I can bring all the things! I pack a big suitcase and carry on, and maybe also a couple bags with random stuff....

I have at least two outfits every day- one in the day and one at night. Even if it's not a formal night I change for dinner in the dining room. I wear formal for formal nights and nice date night (usually still a dress) for every other night.

And I bring a couple extra outfits for if there's time between pool/dinner and I want to change into regular clothes again- I won't want to put back on my sweaty clothes from before. I'll bring two bathing suits, different outfits for each day, different dresses for each night... a few pairs of shoes, jewelry, etc.

My husband will bring his suit, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 bathing suits, tshirts, 3 polos, 2 pairs of pants, dress shoes, flip flops and sneakers. That's all.

So it really just depends on your packing style... and if you fly in to port ;)

Well actually it does. They are saying that since they are Platinum, they take advantage of the free laundry that is a perk of said status. So maybe they need to pack less since they can get some things washed.

We have been Platinum for quite a few years.. Has no idea laundry was one of the perks...thought it was for Elites!!

We have managed to travel successfully for many years with carry on only.

We probably take less than half the items on that New York Times packing list-short or longer term travel.

We often see packing lists on this forum. Some are very representative of what/how we pack. Others would require your own mule train or perhaps a sherpa porter just to get out of the house.

Our guide has always been that you carry what you pack. If you cannot carry it or physically handle it then it stays at home.

I have no problem wearing outer clothing twice or more as long as I don't sweat in it, which cuts packing in half. I pack more underwear than anything else because buying a ton of underwear is cheaper than cruise laundry service.

I pack in one suitcase no matter how long the trip . Last year We were gone for three weeks including a 14 day cruise and I took one 20" suitcase and a small carry on .For any trip less than six days I do a carry on with a tote bag .I change outfits every day and I do have evening outfits . I limit the shoes and the what ifs .

• Like 1

Our guide has always been that you carry what you pack. If you cannot carry it or physically handle it then it stays at home.

Your mule train comment made me laugh so hard!!!

We travel light - a carry-on and a backpack each of mostly books we leave on board makes getting on and off the ship a breeze. We are about experiences, not things.

Other than undergarments, clothes do double duty. We don't do formal nights and bring only sneakers and sandals. We are of the "less is more," minimalist, casual bent and don't require much beyond the basics when traveling - or at home.

Edited by Bookish Angel

After the airline lost my luggage, if it doesn’t fit in a carry on, I don’t need it. Since then, I haven’t cruised once when I’ve felt I’ve underpacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We travel heavy. We bring a different outfit for every evening- I sometimes have a fancy top and wear the same pants a couple of days. I bring two dresser outfits for formal/chic nights. For the day- also a couple pairs of shorts with multiple tops. At least three swim suits and swim coverups. Underware for every day- PJ's about three pairs. Two pairs of sneakers- might wear one- 2 pairs of dress shoes and 2 pairs of sandals. Also if beach outings a pair of water shoes and a coolibar beach jacket.

Jewelry-toiletries-medication. Hair supplies. A sweater or shaul for evening as it might get cool in theatre and restaurants. Also work-out clothes. We typically wash at least 2 loads of wash when on board. My DH brings similar clothes and shoes.

We each bring one large piece of luggage , a carry on and share a suit/dress bag. Check three pieces of luggage. We really like choice and can change a few times a day- shorts, swim suits then eveningware.

When we return from a long trip, often six-ten weeks, we make a mental note of items that we did not wear or wore very infrequently. They get dropped or replaced on the next trip. When we buy clothing and footwear specifically with travel in mind.

I think that it is very different if you are going from home-airport-ship-home. Cruises for us are typically a late or a last minute add on to a land trip. Plus, we never bother with formal nights. We typically dine in alternate venues on those evenings. We do not enjoy those evening as much as we did in the past nor we do we want to carry along clothing that only gets worn for a few hours on two or three nights out of a much longer trip.