Trip Report: ALASKA. Northbound Hubbard Glacier. Millennium. June 22, 2018.

Anita Latte

Hi Anita!

Which tour option did you decide on for Ketchikan with Tours With locals?

Love this pre trip report!! Thank you for taking the time to do it. I can't wait to read your cruise review, too!!

We're going on a custom tour with Cruin.

Taking a look at the offering today...he has greatly expanded his tour offerings!

When I first contacted him, he only had two tours offered. One was a vehicle tour (A Wee Place...) and the other was a walking tour (A Walk...). That's probably why only those two tours are rated at this time. The others are all new!

I started an email conversation to discuss custom tour options. This was largely because, at the time, he didn't own the Dodge Durango he now does. At that time, his vehicle couldn't accommodate our family of 5.

We had a nice little bit of back and forth. I learned, he was in the process of a purchasing a larger vehicle, so that would no longer a problem...he did purchase the Durango before we booked.

He gave me a couple options for touring.

We ultimately decided to not include Totem Bight State Park in our touring plans. Traveling there and back would eat quite a bit of touring time...and that didn't seem to be a good use of our touring dollars or time in port.

Also, going into that park increases the cost of the tour significantly as he has to pay for a license to operate in the park...and as he says, that license isn't reasonable, though they are hoping that will change...it was unlikely to change for this year.

Anyway...he sent me a link through the email to a custom listing.

Our tour is officially titled, "Ketchikan: a wee place for Anita & Family between the sea and the mountains."

I'm still not sure exactly what we'll be doing! I booked so far in advance, it seemed ridiculous to nail down the itinerary. We settled on talking about more specifics closer to the tour date...but we discussed our personal interests in detail. I was my typical self and had sent him a detailed, chatty email to start the conversation and he responded in kind. I'm feeling confident that he will put together a tour we will enjoy...and that may be weather dependent, so I'm ready to just go with the flow.

If you are torn between options...I highly recommend that you Message him (there's a link on the site) and talk to him. He responded to my initial inquiry quickly. He comes across as flexible (partly because he is so knowledgeable...he can do whatever to accommodate your needs) and willing to put together a plan that will make a great day for you!

I'm glad you are enjoying reading all my words! LOL. It's somewhat therapeutic to put into writing all my thoughts...and also a bit of a double check on all my planning. I'm grateful for the feedback.

Such fun to read your preplanning trip review. Alaska should really hire you for your in-depth review. I’m sure you & your family will have a stupendous adventure. We’ll be in Vancouver for a September 2019 cruise to Hawaii & I’m saving your Vancouver notes mmmm waffles! Maybe I’ll be able to eat them by then! Almost Bon Voyage!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Such fun to read your preplanning trip review. Alaska should really hire you for your in-depth review. I’m sure you & your family will have a stupendous adventure. We’ll be in Vancouver for a September 2019 cruise to Hawaii & I’m saving your Vancouver notes mmmm waffles! Maybe I’ll be able to eat them by then! Almost Bon Voyage!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That would be a dream job for me! Thanks for the complement!

I'm sure hoping stupendous is an accurate description for our vacation. From what I understand, Medina would be worth it, even for one bite. Thanks for the good wishes!

Following! We're doing the same itinerary on Radiance at the end of August.

I have added Granville Park to our day in Vancouver, although I'm quickly learning that maybe we should have given ourselves and extra day In Vancouver.

I've learned that you can almost always fill up any time you have in any given place...especially if you go looking for things to do and see!

Radiance class is one that I have yet to sail. Oddly enough, I've been told by several people that I would likely enjoy it the most of all of Royal's ship designs. I hope you have a great cruise in August. Thanks for following!

It’s Friday…and we leave Tuesday.

This is IT. This is our last weekend pretrip!

Breathe. Don’t panic.

The taking care of last minute things has arrived.

My time is consumed with all the things you do to prepare to leave for two weeks. Things that aren’t necessarily specific to Alaska…like contemplating the fridge, eating what you have and only making absolutely necessary grocery purchases. And laundry.

I hereby declare…From these loads forth…if you (you being DH, DS and myself) expect it to go to Alaska, you will NOT wear it again…you will set it aside and pack it!

Time to start wearing the second-tier underwear!

Can I get an amen?!

In the interest of keeping this discussion…this trip report…relevant to Alaska…here are my Alaska specific last-minute preparations:

Wash our rain coats.

I’ve been afraid to wash our rain gear. Well, for one, I haven’t really thought about washing it…for two, if I did think about it, I thought washing it might wreck it. Come to find out that dirt and oils from normal wear can deteriorate the performance of the waterproof coating on your rain gear. It benefits from washing…but not with a typical detergent. Wash it with something mild, or something specific to such things. I’m a fan of NikWax…and they have a specific wash for rain gear.

Check!

The rain gear has been washed and my coat…the most used coat…still needs to be tested for improved beading on the surface. (If necessary, I have the wash in waterproofing renewal).

https://www.amazon.com/Nikwax-Hardshell-Clean-Waterproof-DUO-Pack/dp/B000PGOOIS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1527197166&sr=8-4&keywords=nikwax&dpID=419xpgfj%252B9L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1&psc=1

Clean and Wax my leather hiking boots.

Same concept. I purchased my ALL LEATHER boots back in 1997. Still the most expensive pair of shoes I have ever purchased. I love them. They are my trusty boots…I’ve hiked all over in them and I’m pretty excited to hike Alaska in them.

Yes, they are heavier than boots manufactured today. Oh well. They are in great condition. They are comfortable and well broken in. No need to replace them. They are like an old friend and they want to go to Alaska with me!

I’ve used NikWax on them since I purchased them. Check!

Clean my Birkenstocks.

I’m bringing my Birks! Yes. I’m a Birk wearing girl. Mine were looking a bit sad…and smelly enough that thoughts of packing them brought to mind methods of isolation packing to avoid contamination to the rest of my suitcase…

I had a shoe cleaning party last night…Boots and Birks! I used a mild soap on the insoles of my Birks and followed that up with the baking soda method. Google it. You’ll find plenty of info. I like doing both. Soap first. Baking soda second. Cleaned the uppers with NikWax leather cleaner…but have opted to NOT waterproof them as I don’t want the color affected.

Also ordered cork sealant. Should arrive Sunday. Will seal the cork so my Birks will be in optimum shape.

Shoes.

I’m a big believer in happy feet.

I will not skimp on footwear.

I generally plan my outfits for the day from the shoes up. THAT’S how much of a priority I put on happy feet.

For Alaska, I’m bringing 4 pairs of shoes.

Hiking Boots.

Not everyone will need these, but we will be carrying backpacks to our cabin and I want the ankle support of my trusty boots. These are also my waterproof shoes, so if needed, these would be my choice for the rainy day.

Trail Runners.

Seems redundant with the hiking boots, but my boots are overkill for most walking days, and my trail runners have features I want for my everyday walking shoe. The sole will be overkill for most city walking but the Vibram does have superior grip and slip resistance. The uppers are quick dry, so if I do get caught in a rain shower…I already know that my shoes will be dry within an hour.

Birkenstocks.

These will primarily be my ship shoe. The adjustable straps will accommodate any potential foot swelling as well as any desires to wear socks…it’s a look! I own it!

Yoga Slings.

These are my primary pool/hot tub shoe. I don’t wear flips flops or thongs. They also function well in accommodating any foot swelling issues.

I’m feeling pretty confident in saying that I will fly wearing my hiking boots. Quite simply, they are too heavy to carry on and would consume too much weight allowance to check. I’ll feel a little odd wearing my big clomper stompers in the airport…but it’s the practical packing solution.

That being…wear your heaviest clothing. And shoes.

Based on recent experience, I want quick dry socks to go with my quick dry trail runners. Does such a thing exist? Merino wool socks were the research result. Thinner running style. Ahhh. A last-minute purchase of shorter ankle height merino wool socks will be happening this weekend.

A few other last-minute purchases were made today. Mostly toiletry related.

The goal is to be packed by the end of the weekend.

I’ve also confirmed our helicopter flight in Seward.

My concern was with the 600-pound total limit for the flying party.

It’s fairly embarrassing to admit…but in the interest of sharing…I will share that our party of 3 pushes that weight limit…dare I say, already EXCEEDS that weight limit by 5-10 pounds? After a 7-night cruise…I'm sure that weight limit could be in the rearview mirror.

Needless to say…I was concerned.

We’ve gotten the okay from Mike. (Our pilot). Due to the very short nature of our flight to the glacier…we are good to go.

I’ve been informed that it also helps that we are so evenly weighted.

UGH…

The even weight distribution of our party makes for good flying…better than if two of us were heavy and one a lightweight…

Alrighty then.

Mike said to not worry about dieting on our cruise!

Always nice to have the blessing of your helicopter pilot for any preflight indulgences.

The gear pack is in progress…

The idea is that we will be packing our backpacks…and placing packed backpacks into duffle bags. There should be more room in the duffle bags to accommodate not only the backpacks, but also several packing cubes with the clothing and stuff and such that doesn’t fit in the backpack.

Our top concern is all about what if TSA has to open a duffle?

First…we don’t want anything lose in the duffle. Everything must be in a packing cube, at the least.

Second…if we think that something might look suspicious…we want the TSA agent to easily find it. Those 5” long salmon lures…a perfectly normal lure shape…could look like who knows what to a TSA agent. So that box of tackle should be readily found should the need arise.

The last concern is for each duffle to meet the requirements for size and weight. The division of gear is key for that.

I’m documenting this process…if only for my own reference…

I can see myself in Anchorage in the future…trying to remember how it all fit together…I’ll hit the hotel WiFi and look at my own thread to remember!

Are you curious? What all are we taking for all this DIY camping and fishing?

Here we go:

Camping Gear:

RIMG0271.jpg

From the upper left down in a column and then to the right…

Silver pot with stove inside and another stove on top (black mesh bag)

Pot number 2 (black mesh bag with orange handle)

Black bag…fire starting and safety whistle

Shiny thing with small print…emergency blanket (2) (Next column)

Black mesh bag with white…Gravity water purifier

Cotton bag…straw style water purifier

First Aid Kit…personally assembled (Next column)

Aqua and Orange mini LED flashlights next to

White circle…pop up LED ambient light

Black mesh bag under green circle…camp towel

Green circle…floppy Frisbee! (next column)

Big White Circle…3 bowl/plate like containers with lids from a local Asian take out

Little black circles on top…lids for coffee cups

Big white rectangle…TOPO map (personalized for our cabin area)

Yellow thing…compass

Two black sheaths…folding knives / swiss army knives next to

Camp knife (blade is 4” so should be okay on ship) (next column)

Coffee Cups…yes, disposable…16 oz and 12 oz, 3 each

3 spoons and 3 forks next to

Instant Coffee and tea bags

Rope

Fishing Gear:

RIMG0273.jpg

Top…2 Salmon Fishing Rods (black cases) & 1 Trout Fly Rod (brown)

Tackle box…salmon lures

DH’s wading shoes (next column)

Black area…fly reel and extra spool

Two small cotton bags…one spin reel in each

Big cotton bag…tackle boxes (1 trout lures, 1 trout flies, 1 salmon flies)

Small cotton bag on top…fishing line clippers, pliers (next column)

Gloves…two pair

Under the stuff…two pairs of hip waders with boots and one pair suspender style waders

The Backpacks:

RIMG0278.jpg

From Left to Right…

DH, Mine, and DS

DH’s is 65L, Mine is 55L, DS is 70L

Also pictured are our sleeping bags (black bags) and sleeping pads (green)

And my sweet kitty GRACE…who has been entertained by all the goings on.

I think most families have a packer…people may help and gather but generally one person takes the lead.

I’m a most excellent packer…

I say this with no conceit…it is just a fact. I have been complemented by movers because I have such quality packing skills.

I should. I’ve moved A LOT.

And DH doesn’t work for the army…

Starting from the point DH and I started living together in life…we have purchased or leased 13 residences…which averages out to living in each place for just over 1 year 8 months. And that doesn’t account for the times when we stayed with family.

I have ALWAYS packed my stuff.

So I mean it when I say that I’m a good packer. This packing challenge doesn’t phase me a bit.

At this point, I’ve condensed the gear. Stuffing things into the wader shoes and the hip wader boots. Into the pots. Etc. I’ve divided the gear into the packs…or at least accounted for what goes into what pack. DS needs to stuff socks into his waders.

I’ve stuffed one pot, one stove, the salmon lure tackle box, the pot handle, the knives and the line clippers/pliers into the top of DH’s bag…hoping that is accessible enough as these all seem to be potential alarms.

The last pot and stove combo will be stuffed into the top of DS’s bag.

Now it’s clothing time.

Great vacations are made in the planning stages. It's the difference maker.

We are on the Millennium northbound as well, for June 8, and fly out in less than three days to Vancouver. Looking back at that decision, it was driven by cost and how much we enjoyed the Constellation in the Adriatic last summer. That one was just the two of us. This one includes our 20 & 18 year olds. The negative aspect of our decision as first time Alaska cruisers, was not including Glacier Bay, which so many on Cruise Critic say is an "absolute must". Oh well. We were able to get a great price, two perks (both cabins have $300 OBC and one has Classic Drinks package and the other unlimited internet and photo. With OBC from booking on board, that's $900 total OBC and those other perks. It made sense to us. We also wanted an inside passage to spend some extra time in Alaska and also see Vancouver.

I agree with the OP. Alaska is a different animal.

I personally like Hubbard Glacier better.

My Backpack…

First of all…I was mistaken in the size of my pack…it’s 50 L not 55 L. Not a biggie…but just to be accurate…

Packing from the bottom up:

DH’s sleeping bag (mine is a women’s fit long…so my bag is the biggest of the three…when I just stuff the bag into the bag compartment of my pack, it fits…spreading out into the nooks and crannies…but if I stuff the bag into its stuff sack first, the stuff sack doesn’t fit as well. For the flight, we want everything to be as protected as possible, so sleeping bags in stuff sacks. My bag ended up in DH’s pack, his bag in my pack).

Hip Waders…stuffed with little loose camping stuff

First Aid Kit

Two Spin Reels

Gravity Water Purifier

Thin Packing Cube…underwear+

Small Packing Cube…shirts+

Thin Packing Cube…gloves+

Yoga Slings

3 pillowcases (I just added this after reading an article on the Her Packing List website. Originally, we were going to use our sleeping bag stuff sacks for pillows…the idea is that you stuff your clothing and other things into the sack to make a nicer place for your sleeping head…but pillowcases are thin and would be much nicer to sleep on. These pillowcases are our camping ones, most recently used at Carolina Rebellion!)

My TOPO map and compass

Under the arm straps, I’ve secured a medium packing cube (pants+) and also tucked my purple raincoat (in its stuff sack) into that area.

Weighing it out at this point…everything weighs 27 pounds.

Therefore…considering size and weight…when the pack ends up in the duffle…I do believe that the fishing rods will be packed with my pack…bundled together with my hiking poles.

My sleeping pad will also be added to the duffle and somehow secured.

RIMG0310.jpg

RIMG0311.jpg

In a visual…here is my packing list:

RIMG0286.jpg

From the top left to the right…

Teal Fleece Hoodie Pullover

Teal Smartwool ¼ Zip long sleeved

Plaid Flannel Hoodie button down long sleeved

Blue Jeans

Black Cargo Trail Leggings

Black Quick Dry Capris

Gray Cargo Water Resistant medium-weight Pants

Gray Water Resistant Quick Dry light-weight Pants

Navy long underwear top

Navy long underwear bottom

Black capri leggings (to wear with dresses)

Pattern long leggings (to wear with dresses)

Burgundy fashion socks

Cream/Black patterned tights (formal night with dresses)

Black/Gray patterned cami

Olive green C9 technical knit short sleeved top

Sage green bamboo knit technical short sleeved top

Pine green merino wool short sleeved top

Purple/pink stripe merino wool short sleeved top

Coral bamboo tunic

Fuschia cover up

Tan swim suit

Purple/black pajamas

Coral Bamboo short sleeved dress

Army green Bamboo long sleeved dress

Blue herringbone compression socks

Blue/Cream SmartWool hiking socks

Tan SmartWool hiking socks

Pink patterned toe socks (x3)

Gray patterend SmartWool ankle running socks

Thin Packing Cube…Underwear+:

RIMG0287.jpg

Small Packing Cube…shirts+

RIMG0289.jpg

Medium Packing Cube…pants+

RIMG0297.jpg

All together:

RIMG0299.jpg

Not pictured is another thin packing cube with windproof gloves, fleece gloves, a cashmere scarf, and a beanie.

While I’ve tried to be minimalist…my minimalist philosophy is to take exactly what I need and not anything more…not necessarily the LEAST that I can get away with. So, for instance…I did pack 14 pairs of underwear. Yes indeedy.

• Like 1

I’ve been simultaneously packing my carry on…

I have a Motherlode Weekender Backpack from eBags:

https://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101?productid=10150072

I love the organization of this pack…it’s probably bigger than I need at this point, but this will allow for room for any accumulation on our travels.

I’m packing what I think I’ll need in Vancouver and boarding day:

RIMG0307.jpg

From the upper left..

Gray fleece vest…I don’t really think I’ll need this in Vancouver, but I want this on the trip. It’s my favorite…it’s ginormous for packing…poofy and not very packable…but I don’t care…

Zip lock bag…trail runners (stuffed with socks, pajamas, underwear) and Birks (stuffed with coverup and swimsuit)

Plaid flannel hoodie

Thin packing cube…black capris and bamboo tunic

Super FUN multi-colored water resistant ball cap!! (Thanks Melody!!)

Regarding swimwear. If you plan to use the thalassotherapy pool…be sure to bring a suit that you don’t mind getting bleached out. This photo shows the original color of this suit on the straps versus the new body color that the thalassotherapy pool did to this suit:

RIMG0284.jpg

Still to be gathered for the carry on:

Toiletries…

Electronics…

Paperwork…

Very last minute things…

So basically, I’m done with packing myself.

Still need to pack DH and DS.

Hi Anita!

You are my hero! J What a wonderful, well-thought out travel report! I have been reading with pure enjoyment and awe of your planning and thought process. I have now discovered I am not as thorough of a planner as I thought I was…in comparison to many of you on these boards, anyway. I agree with you that the planning is a huge part of the fun of the trip and reading about others’ planning is very enjoyable and educational to me. I have learned so much from reading your posts!

We, too, are travelling to Alaska this season (last sailing,September 22). It’s a first cruise for me, but I have been organizing and planning vacations for many years for my family (aka the “wing-it” planners). Now the family just lets me plan and they sit back and enjoy. Everyone is much happier this way.

I so agree with you about sitting and seeing versus “doing”. Spending my trip just walking up to and staring up at statues or exhibits in museums the whole time isn’t my kind of fun. But watching animals in their native environments is something I can do all day. To each their own, of course!

This line of yours really resonated with me, “I ask myself…what would I regret NOT doing on my Alaska trip?” And I am happy to say that I have truly picked my excursions with that in mind.

Can’t wait to hear all about your trip when it has concluded. Have a wonderful vacation and I hope you have lovely weather throughout! J It sounds like either way you will make it a wonderful adventure with your fun, upbeat attitude. Enjoy, and safe travels!

• Like 1

Anita,

My DH and I will sail this same itinerary on the Millie exactly 1 year from your upcoming vacation. This post is so timely as my questions and yes, planning has already begun.

One of my questions, perhaps concerns, is the logistics of embarking/disembarking at two different places as it relates to transportation. In fact, I posted a question about it just moments before stumbling upon your post. I am following with much anticipation and hope you have a wonderful time!!

Christina

Love your planning info. A huge thank you for taking the time to share. I'm still in the midst of planning for our 4 nights post our NCL Jewel cruise ending in Seward in August. It's so overwhelming that I have been frozen in trying to decide what to plan -- an like yourself have come to the conclusion that Denali would likely just be too much to take on as it will be myself & my husband and our 3yo daughter!

Anyhow, you mentioned a fishing guide that you had found in Seward? As I know my husband has similar dreams of fishing in Alaska. Thanks for your help & hope you have a fabulous trip

At this point…

There’s a plan for lodging pre and post cruise

There’s a plan for Skagway

A plan for ISP

A plan for Ketchikan

And the beginnings of a plan in Juneau…

Still to plan…

An agenda in Alaska…

An agenda in Vancouver…

Finalize Juneau…UGH.

While my planning wasn’t quite as linear timewise as my writing about the planning is…my tackling of the ports was rather systematic…orderly…

Anyone remember the old Justice League? MEANwhile…back at the Hall of Justice…

Even in the midst of going through the cruise ports…

I’m researching the area surrounding Anchorage for our non-Denali DIY post cruise…SO MANY OPTIONS…warning, warning...overwhelming ahead.

I went back to my thought about fully exploring our cruise ports themselves…so I stopped looking EVERYWHERE and focused in on Seward.

SO.

Meanwhile…up in Alaska…post cruise…I’m dialed into and researching Seward specifically and Kenai Peninsula in general…

My family has been ordering from the Great Alaska Seafood Company for about 20 years. NO JOKE. If you haven’t heard of them:

http://www.great-alaska-seafood.com

If you are on their email list…they will BOMBARD your email daily…but the specials can be very, very good. IF you like seafood.

My point is that this company is located on the Kenai Peninsula…and we have been ordering fish caught in this area for years and years. The emails also often contain information about visiting their area for an Alaskan fishing trip.

Fishing…which had reared up in Juneau was ALSO coming to the forefront of planning up on the Kenai. DH was enamored with thoughts of fishing the famous Kenai River. Boyhood dreams of river fishing in Alaska were about to come true.

Salmon fishing on the Kenai?

Oh, yes. Yes, PLEASE.

Ohhhhh. So sorry. No salmon for you. It’s not salmon season on the Kenai during our visit.

I had found many, many local fishing guides for the Kenai. Hours spent reading reviews and looking at prices…studying the offerings…I picked one and made first contact.

I learned that the first weekend of July is really in between salmon runs. There was the possibility that the early run could run late…and the later run could run early. But the most likely scenario would be trophy rainbow trout fishing…and Dolly Varden aka Dollies…both of which are fun sport fishing.

Alrighty then.

All this fishing research for Juneau and Kenai was happening at the same time…remember that I had discovered that we WOULD hit a salmon run in Juneau…which I have already talked about.

So back in Kenai…

Trophy Rainbows?

Not a big disappointment. Not a disappointment at ALL.

So we are settled on a fishing excursion…and we know who we want to fish with.

Thoughts are the debarkation day, Friday, would be something of a chore day…get the rental…do some food shopping for the still hopeful cabin rental…maybe do some laundry?...do quite a bit of car travel…so just plan on this day being an unplanned day.

Fishing was looking good for the day AFTER embarkation…Saturday.

Now about those Glaciers…

There are some wonderful sightseeing boating excursions out of Seward. Kenai Fjords National Park is accessed almost entirely by water…Major Marines Tours was being talked about all over the boards…and word was that there was going to be a big Black Friday sale:

https://majormarine.com/tour-areas/kenai-fjord/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjN7YBRCOARIsAFCb935gDd6-6Bqazmz_39jVnjmzYC1dNcUDCUmGXHOzVLIe-iR1v7xcM2IaAiYEEALw_wcB

But again…we weren’t as interested in a sightseeing tour…

I saw a picture of a kayaker on pristine waters with not only one ice berg dwarfing her but several blue ice bergs scattered through the mirrored surface of the water.

http://liquid-adventures.com/content/bear-glacier-kayaking

DH was like…I want THAT. I did too…obviously…I found it and was like…look at this!

Ok, then.

Now we want to kayak with the ice bergs in the waters in front of Bear Glacier.

All this glacier research had also been happening concurrently…so while I’m learning about Mendenhall, Taku, and the others in Juneau area…I landed on Exit Glacier, which is one of the only areas of Kenai Fjords National Park that is accessible by car.

https://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/exit-glacier-area.htm

Unlike the Mendenhall Visitor Center…the Exit Glacier Visitor Center has free admission. And a free ranger led walk! (like in Skagway). This walk will take you to the base of Exit Glacier.

Could we hike ON the glacier?

Why yes we could.

https://www.exitglacierguides.com/content/ice-hiking

If we fish on Saturday…

Kayak on Sunday…

Glacier hike on Monday…

Fly home Tuesday…

If we pursued this plan...it didn’t make sense for us to stay in the Public Use Cabin Sunday night…travel to and from Seward for two days in a row? We should try to stay in Seward Sunday night…

Time to research all the lodging options in Seward…

Liking the idea of another cabin…I researched those first.

The nearby public use cabins were a no go. Access was the main issue. Great difficulties getting to and from the cabins near Seward.

There are several hotel type cabin rentals available. Cabins are separate but grouped together on the hotel grounds…furnished.

I was liking this idea. The thought of the private shower was very appealing!

There was availability. I had choices, but not many. And fortunately, on October 28, 2017…I booked the last available cabin for the night of July 1 at my top choice “resort.” Bonus…no deposit required. Reservation held with a credit card. No charges until we arrive. Cancel with no penalty up to 7 days prior to arrival.

Nice.

Now I was just waiting for December 29 to be able to hopefully book our public use cabin.

Then I would finalize the excursions.

This line of yours really resonated with me, “I ask myself…what would I regret NOT doing on my Alaska trip?” And I am happy to say that I have truly picked my excursions with that in mind.

Can’t wait to hear all about your trip when it has concluded. Have a wonderful vacation and I hope you have lovely weather throughout! J It sounds like either way you will make it a wonderful adventure with your fun, upbeat attitude. Enjoy, and safe travels!

What a lovely post to write to me! Thank you so much!

It's wonderful when you make a plan and can be so pleased and happy about your plan! My DH is similar with the planning...as in, letting me do most of it...he does management work and so he says that when he goes on vacation, he prefers to not have to make the decisions. LOL!

Thank you for the good wishes. We're mostly packed up now...just the toiletries and other last minutes for carry ons to do tomorrow.

Anita,

My DH and I will sail this same itinerary on the Millie exactly 1 year from your upcoming vacation. This post is so timely as my questions and yes, planning has already begun.

One of my questions, perhaps concerns, is the logistics of embarking/disembarking at two different places as it relates to transportation. In fact, I posted a question about it just moments before stumbling upon your post. I am following with much anticipation and hope you have a wonderful time!!

Christina

I don't know what question you posted, but I will definitely be doing a full review upon our return...and as you're doing the same cruise, hopefully that will be helpful for you!

Thank you! I'm sure we will have a wonderful time...we've decided to, which is more than half the battle.;)

Love your planning info. A huge thank you for taking the time to share. I'm still in the midst of planning for our 4 nights post our NCL Jewel cruise ending in Seward in August. It's so overwhelming that I have been frozen in trying to decide what to plan -- an like yourself have come to the conclusion that Denali would likely just be too much to take on as it will be myself & my husband and our 3yo daughter!

Anyhow, you mentioned a fishing guide that you had found in Seward? As I know my husband has similar dreams of fishing in Alaska. Thanks for your help & hope you have a fabulous trip

My guide isn't in Seward...actually he is based in Hope, AK. We're going to be fishing the Upper Kenai River. I came across our guide in several places...and read reviews. My conversations with Jason have been very good. My interactions leading me to believe the good reviews. I do believe that we are going out with Jeff though? Or Jack. Not sure...but I recall both names from reviews.

http://www.angle45.com/index.htm

It is overwhelming because there is so much to choose from. I wish you the best in your planning!

It's late and I'm a bit wired...

Writing usually helps me sort my thoughts...so here we go.

I did chronicle my own packing. I did not chronicle packing for DS or DH.

I can tell you that they are taking way more clothes than I am! Which I think is rather funny...going against the stereotypes.

Men get a bum wrap though...when it comes to clothing. A lady can wear a dress...and some sandals. Might need underwear and a bra. MEN...they need pants, undershirt, shirt, socks and rather large shoes. By the very nature of things...men end up needing and taking more clothing.

As I said...we aren't doing formal wear...but DS enjoys a bit of dress above a typical graphic tee. He's taking 4 short sleeved button down shirts, 2 sweaters, and 6 undershirts. He has 3 pairs of technical cargo pants...quick dry, wicking fabric...but the style is nice. Also 2 pairs of jogger style out of Chino like fabric.

DS also has a pair of completely comfy lounge around sweat like joggers.

Several tees for day wear

3 base layers (2 short sleeved, 1 long)

a borrowed fleece pullover

raincoat

2 beanies

windproof gloves

Chucks

Hiking boots

flip flops

swim trunks

so many pairs of normal and athletic underwear! (we will be 10 nights before we hit the laundromat)

4 pajama bottoms

so many socks!!

Now DH...he has even more clothing...and it's bigger and takes up more space because he is 6'1".

DH likes to wear shorts...Vancouver will be warm...and DH might wear shorts at some point on the cruise if the weather is upper 60s...

So DH has packed...

2 athletic shorts

2 cargo shorts

2 cargo pants (non technical)

3 technical pants (or was it 2?)

3 tees

2 button down long sleeves

2 undershirts

1 button down short sleeve

1 nicer knit shirt short sleeve

1 nicer knit shirt long sleeve

tons of underwear, normal and athletic

casual but dressy enough shoes

walking shoes

hiking boots

flip flops

swim trunks

4 base layers...2 short sleeved, 2 long sleeved

fleece pull over

raincoat

2 beanies

windproof gloves

hiking socks

walking socks

dress socks

OMG.

Both men are pulling from what I've listed here for their travel outfits...

DH ended up with some heavier, bulkier camping items in his pack. I went light on the camping items for DS. So DH is having to supplement with a normal wheeled kind of carry on. DS is supplementing with a very small overnight duffle thing. I've already mentioned that I have my backpack carry on.

The duffles are all sorted...I ended up also taking on DH's sleeping pad in my duffle.

One more purchase tomorrow and the duffles with be completely done! I saw luggage tie downs at Walmart. They are the kind of thing that is normally stuck in your suitcase that you clip and clamp down on your clothing. The duffles lack any such thing. I want to strap those fishing cases into a bundle with my pack...just in case the duffle is opened by TSA...I don't want those cases rolling away.

Weighed all the duffles and they are all within 1-2 pounds of each other. We do the weigh yourself...pick up the suitcase and weigh yourself again process.

I'm very happy to report that each duffle is 36-38 pounds.

Woo hoo!!

Not bad at all. All things considered.

Today, I also deconstructed the big map book...taking out only the pages that I needed. I actually sewed the pages back together at the staple holes with the cover. I also deconstructed the MilePost book...tearing it apart into sections, so that we have that information. This saved me several pounds in paper...

Which is good because I also printed out all my confirmations! I could go electronic...but I prefer paper. We have AT&T mobile service and I've heard that's decent in Alaska...but I'm not taking any chances. I want IRL proof of where, when, what, and how much.

I have a working day tomorrow to get work done around the house. The final prep for leaving after DH finishes his work day.

Thanks for your wonderful preplanning report! We are doing the southern cruise (Seward to Vancouver) in 3 weeks so I've been reading closely to see what you're packing. Have a great trip. Can't wait to read your report when you get back.

It's late and I'm a bit wired...

Writing usually helps me sort my thoughts...so here we go.

I did chronicle my own packing. I did not chronicle packing for DS or DH.

I can tell you that they are taking way more clothes than I am! Which I think is rather funny...going against the stereotypes.

Men get a bum wrap though...when it comes to clothing. A lady can wear a dress...and some sandals. Might need underwear and a bra. MEN...they need pants, undershirt, shirt, socks and rather large shoes. By the very nature of things...men end up needing and taking more clothing.

As I said...we aren't doing formal wear...but DS enjoys a bit of dress above a typical graphic tee. He's taking 4 short sleeved button down shirts, 2 sweaters, and 6 undershirts. He has 3 pairs of technical cargo pants...quick dry, wicking fabric...but the style is nice. Also 2 pairs of jogger style out of Chino like fabric.

DS also has a pair of completely comfy lounge around sweat like joggers.

Several tees for day wear

3 base layers (2 short sleeved, 1 long)

a borrowed fleece pullover

raincoat

2 beanies

windproof gloves

Chucks

Hiking boots

flip flops

swim trunks

so many pairs of normal and athletic underwear! (we will be 10 nights before we hit the laundromat)

4 pajama bottoms

so many socks!!

Now DH...he has even more clothing...and it's bigger and takes up more space because he is 6'1".

DH likes to wear shorts...Vancouver will be warm...and DH might wear shorts at some point on the cruise if the weather is upper 60s...

So DH has packed...

2 athletic shorts

2 cargo shorts

2 cargo pants (non technical)

3 technical pants (or was it 2?)

3 tees

2 button down long sleeves

2 undershirts

1 button down short sleeve

1 nicer knit shirt short sleeve

1 nicer knit shirt long sleeve

tons of underwear, normal and athletic

casual but dressy enough shoes

walking shoes

hiking boots

flip flops

swim trunks

4 base layers...2 short sleeved, 2 long sleeved

fleece pull over

raincoat

2 beanies

windproof gloves

hiking socks

walking socks

dress socks

OMG.

Both men are pulling from what I've listed here for their travel outfits...

DH ended up with some heavier, bulkier camping items in his pack. I went light on the camping items for DS. So DH is having to supplement with a normal wheeled kind of carry on. DS is supplementing with a very small overnight duffle thing. I've already mentioned that I have my backpack carry on.

The duffles are all sorted...I ended up also taking on DH's sleeping pad in my duffle.

One more purchase tomorrow and the duffles with be completely done! I saw luggage tie downs at Walmart. They are the kind of thing that is normally stuck in your suitcase that you clip and clamp down on your clothing. The duffles lack any such thing. I want to strap those fishing cases into a bundle with my pack...just in case the duffle is opened by TSA...I don't want those cases rolling away.

Weighed all the duffles and they are all within 1-2 pounds of each other. We do the weigh yourself...pick up the suitcase and weigh yourself again process.

I'm very happy to report that each duffle is 36-38 pounds.

Woo hoo!!

Not bad at all. All things considered.

Today, I also deconstructed the big map book...taking out only the pages that I needed. I actually sewed the pages back together at the staple holes with the cover. I also deconstructed the MilePost book...tearing it apart into sections, so that we have that information. This saved me several pounds in paper...

Which is good because I also printed out all my confirmations! I could go electronic...but I prefer paper. We have AT&T mobile service and I've heard that's decent in Alaska...but I'm not taking any chances. I want IRL proof of where, when, what, and how much.

I have a working day tomorrow to get work done around the house. The final prep for leaving after DH finishes his work day.

Great review! Sounds like your well prepared! Just wanted to reassure you that you will have cell coverage along the road and rail systems in Alaska. My husband works for the railroad, they have a contract with AT&T that requires they maintain coverage in those areas.

Have you considered taking pics on your cellphone of the pages you’re planning to bring with? I’m all about having a backup plan, and have found this to be an easy solution that doesn’t take up extra space and weight.

Hope you have a fantastic time, can’t wait to hear all about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bon voyage to Anita and family! Have a fantastic trip, can't wait to read all about it.

Thanks for your wonderful preplanning report! We are doing the southern cruise (Seward to Vancouver) in 3 weeks so I've been reading closely to see what you're packing. Have a great trip. Can't wait to read your report when you get back.

Hi, DisneyMemaw, we hope you'll also post a review of your trip, as we'll be doing a Southern cruise (Seward to Vancouver) in August 2019.

Best wishes to all!

Anita!

I think I have found my long lost twin 😉! I didn’t think other “obsessive” planners existed!! I’ve thouroughly enjoyed reading all of your posts (sneaking them in, bit by bit, while I nurse the baby 😊.) and cant wait to hear about your trip! Two years ago, my hubby and I cruised NCL rt out of Seattle with my parents, brother, and his wife. Best. Trip. Ever!! Though we encountered some “situations” (to save money, we thought we could easily fit 4 in each inside cabin- though not ideal, with NCLs 3rd/4th person sail free promo, it was something hard to pass up- my mom and dad agreed to split up, leaving each couple with a parent on a bunk in the room with them. If that wasnt wacky enough, they are terribly earlier risers and would knock on the dividing wall to signal that they were awake...then the knock on the door from room service with coffee 😂! It something that we all look back and laugh about...and learned from 😜.), it was a truly incredible trip!! We never thought we’d get to go back, but incidentally, we have booked a trip back to Alaska, this time on Solstice in June 2019 💃🏻💃🏻! This time, our own rooms 😉. I’d like to second another person’s response about doing those things you’d want to do if you never make it back...a flight seeing trip over the Juneau Icefield is at the top of our bucket list. I’m trying to think of a plan B if weather makes the flight an impossibility...🤔. Have an AMAZING trip and I look forward to hearing all about your adventures!!

• Like 2