Sea legs after cruise / MdDS

jaee901

Be aware that tere may be possible after effects of using a Scopolmine patch to avoid sea sickness. according to a recent artical:

Scopolamine patch, Tranderm Scop, is marketed by Baxter Healthcare for Novartis for surgical antiemetic control or for the control of motion sickness. Each patch contains 1.5 mg of scopolamine programmed to deliver 1 mg over 3 days transdermally through a layer of rate controlling membrane.1 It was designed to be removed 24 hours after surgery. For control of motion sickness, it was to be changed every 72 hours and removed from the skin after the condition for motion sickness had passed. Scopolamine patch withdrawal syndrome is under-recognized and under-appreciated. A literature search and discussion with medical and pharmacy colleagues yielded very little information about adverse effects associated with discontinuation of scopolamine. Scopolamine is generally believed to be the most effective drug to control motion sickness, with a 75% reduction in motion-induced nausea and vomiting; others dispute that it is not any more effective than antihistamines like meclizine.2 Scopolamine patch is generally not recommended for children or the elderly because of toxicity.

We had received several patient complaints about scopolamine patch withdrawal after using them for motion sickness control on vacations. The associated symptoms were described as being very debilitating, similar to exacerbated motion sickness with severe headache.3 This syndrome affected mostly patients who used the patch for 3 days or more, although there was at least one case in which a patient who only used the patch for 24 hours was affected. Typically, symptoms manifested 18 to 72 hours after the patch was removed and could last from several days to weeks. Common symptoms included nausea, headache, and blurred vision. These symptoms were consistent with rebound cholinergic activity and included dizziness, nausea, vomiting, paresthesias of the hands and feet, dysphoria, and hypotension.

On a bit of a tangent, but referring to the above post, I never needed reading glasses until, while on my first cruise (using the patch) my vision became blurry. I couldn't read a menu onboard. And unfortunately I had to fly cross country alone after the cruise. Made it a bit tricky. I have needed reading glasses ever since and always wondered if the patch somehow triggered this loss of vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 9 months later...

Bumping this thread!

For those unaware of this disorder MdDS (Mal de Debarquement), here is a link. https://mddsfoundation.org/

Most people get their land legs back before they would be diagnosed with this syndrome. When it lasts longer than two weeks, it's time to see a doc familiar with the disorder.

I am on day 9 after getting off the boat and am still having a difficult time. I've already done some research on the syndrome and will contact my Dr. next Monday if this hasn't subsided. It's scary and exhausting.

Thank you for posting this! I have just been on my first ever cruise and been suffering for nearly 2 weeks at this stage. The only time I feel completely normal is when I'm driving!

It came over me very unexpectedly as I didn't have problems when I went ashore in port... although after an extra sea day due to rough seas I did have a couple of moments when ashore, but nothing compared to the experience since coming home. My ears popped badly while my flight was coming into land and the tinnitus I have in one of my ears has been louder than usual, so I am beginning to think I have a combination of issues going on. I had a few days earlier this week when I thought I was getting over it, but it's been back with a vengeance in the last 24 hours or so, along with a horrendous headache.

It's slightly comforting to read that others suffer with this too.

I had no problems when we were in port during the cruise either. And agree, I am FINE driving. It's the worst when I'm sitting at my desk at work. I am constantly getting up and walking around because being stationary is brutal. Although, I haven't been able to resume my normal workout regimen, either. The elliptical & treadmill machines make me feel terrible and classes in the room with the mirrors are a no-go. I just want to feel normal again.

This......my first cruise I felt it for a month, by my third cruise it was just a few days. I kind of like it though, reminds me of the ship!!

This is my experience. Mild sensations for up to a week, and a pleasant reminder of the ship.

Yeah, this isn't mild. My husband had a day or two of mildly feeling rocking/bobbing but was 100% after a few days. This is legit exhausting because I feel like I am constantly swaying and there's also a strange gravitational pull sensation associated with my symptoms.

I don't know if this will help you, but I have a rough go of this as well when I cruise, and in my "self-research", I have found that scheduling 3-4 additional vacation days after a cruise helps. Being in a stationary position at work, and trying to use a computer is almost impossible. By taking a few extra days, I can make sure I get outdoors and see the horizon to keep the queasiness under control, take plenty of naps if needed (it is truly exhausting to feel that miserable 24/7), and taking xanax and bonine for those 3-4 days helps me "reset" quicker. Typically, I am quite uncomfortable for an amount of time equal to the cruise - i.e., a 3-day cruise, I'll feel a bit better after 3 days, a 9-day cruise will take 9 days. It takes about 2-3 weeks for my equilibrium issues to be totally resolved.

Hoping you are feeling better soon!

Bumping this thread!

I am on day 9 after getting off the boat and am still having a difficult time. I've already done some research on the syndrome and will contact my Dr. next Monday if this hasn't subsided. It's scary and exhausting.

I had no problems when we were in port during the cruise either. And agree, I am FINE driving. It's the worst when I'm sitting at my desk at work. I am constantly getting up and walking around because being stationary is brutal. Although, I haven't been able to resume my normal workout regimen, either. The elliptical & treadmill machines make me feel terrible and classes in the room with the mirrors are a no-go. I just want to feel normal again.

Oh my goodness you've just reminded me how awful this was and I'll be honest, I had forgotten. I'm going on my 2nd cruise in July and this time will also have jet lag to contend with when I get home.

I think mine lasted about another 10 days or so after I posted in this thread.

I have suffered from this in the past...but I seem to have gotten over it...now if only the same were true for my sea sickness! I take Bonine and use acupressure bands for my sea sickness and the last time this happened, I kept taking the Bonine for about a week after I got off the boat and it helped. Hope you are back to normal soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this now for 5 1/2 months. I went on another cruise 6 weeks after getting off a cruise where it didn't go away. Was fine on cruise but after still had it. Luckily my only symptoms are feeling like I am bobbing in the ocean but it is relatively mild.. at most a 2-3 on a 10 point scale. I feel it when I am still mostly. As others have said you don't usually feel it when you are in motion (driving or passenger in car, walking, etc). I have read about people who have had it for years and years :( For some it is extremely debilitating.

I have read that if you get it for a while you should not go on a cruise again. I cancelled all my booked cruises but now am having second thoughts. Maybe I should try to cruise again because I was fine on that second cruise when it hadn't gone away. Probably wishful thinking. My dh and I are really in cruise withdrawal :)

If anyone reads this who has had it for more than a month or two and has gone on another cruise... please post if it affected you.

I have MS and vertigo/double vision but my doctor and physical therapist have given me some relief with the Epley maneuver- what happens is there are crystals flowing your ears and they get "stuck"

This maneuver helps get them moving again and restores balance. Hope you find relief!

Here are samples on youtube:

Many times MdDs is actually benign paroxysmal positional vertigo-- this will not cause harm either way and may help! Meclazine makes me puke and didn't work for me

I suffer from MdDS. For me, it depends on how rough the seas were on the cruise. We did a Cuba cruise last summer that was smooth sailing all the way and I had no problems after. After a rough Alaska cruise, it was a good 2-3 weeks until I felt better. On my last cruise in March to the Caribbean, we had rough seas and were on a really bumpy snorkeling excursion. I felt terrible for a month. I went to my doctor and he showed me the Epley maneuver and it helped. I’m finally back to normal. We’re doing a Europe cruise next month. I hope it’s smooth sailing!

I was going to post the same question - did you use the scopolamine patch? An adverse reaction to the patch can be horrid

I am prone to motion sickness (hence the nsl - no see legs) in my cruise critic name and used the patch on my first cruise as did my mom. We stayed in San Juan for two days post cruise where I was so dizzy, I could barely function. When we returned home, a few days later, they thought my mom was having a stroke - turned out to be a reaction to the patch. I was 30 at the time, my mom 60. Once the scopolamine was totally out of our systems we were both fine

Twenty cruises later, I use sea bands and sniff Quease-Ease and use Bonine if it's too rough. Honestly, repeat cruising, careful mid ship cabin planning and a larger ship really does help and minimizes the return to "land legs"

Hope you are feeling better soon

• 1 month later...

Update... after 4 flights, a 7 day Mediterranean cruise with smooth seas throughout, and some crazy rides up and down the mountain sides of Spain, Italy, and France, I’m happy to report no MdDS! I’m shocked, but relieved!

Update... after 4 flights, a 7 day Mediterranean cruise with smooth seas throughout, and some crazy rides up and down the mountain sides of Spain, Italy, and France, I’m happy to report no MdDS! I’m shocked, but relieved!

Wonderful news. I hope you enjoyed your trip. I’m 7 months in and still bobbing :(

Wonderful news. I hope you enjoyed your trip. I’m 7 months in and still bobbing :(

I’m so sorry you are still bobbing. After our March cruise, I was seriously considering not booking another cruise. It was that bad. Since I’ve been symptom free so far this cruise, I’ll give it another shot. I hope you find some relief soon.

I’m so sorry you are still bobbing. After our March cruise, I was seriously considering not booking another cruise. It was that bad. Since I’ve been symptom free so far this cruise, I’ll give it another shot. I hope you find some relief soon.

Thank you. My symptoms are low (2-3 out of 10). We cancelled all our booked cruises because I read that some say you should not cruise again. Since then I have read about others who have cruised again so rebooked two of the cruises but they are for next year.

I was wondering how long it takes most people to stop feeling like they are on a cruise. I am woobly/swaying/rocking, feel dizzy and nauseous, my head feels heavy and my ears feel full. I am looking for other people's experiences and how long this may last. I am afraid it is MdMS.

My DH experienced this and it stayed with him long enough to see an MD. MD advised this can happen to older folks (He was 53 at that time) and it's a result of doing damage to the inner ear. According to the MD it could last a few weeks or longer. Not sure of your age, but it might be something to consider. It lasted for him about 3 wks.:o

its a sign that you need to book more cruises. one of the things i noticed as i go on more cruises, the less i feel the after effects of being on a ship. about 6-12 hours of being back at home from a cruise, my land legs is back and everything is back to normal for me.

Had to laugh at this......but I totally agree. When we first started cruising, I was just fine ON the ship, it was when I got off the ship that I felt like I was still on it.....on land I felt like the 'ship was rocking', some dizziness and light headedness. It took a full week to return to 'normal' on land after getting off the ship. BUT, the more I have sailed the less that I feel the 'motion of the ocean' after disembarking....so I have to agree with Shof515 that you need to cruise MORE OFTEN!! LOL ;p

My DH experienced this and it stayed with him long enough to see an MD. MD advised this can happen to older folks (He was 53 at that time) and it's a result of doing damage to the inner ear. According to the MD it could last a few weeks or longer. Not sure of your age, but it might be something to consider. It lasted for him about 3 wks.:o

Sadly, that MD is wrong. I have read about teenagers who have this and also people who have had it for 20+ years. Also, there is no known cause nor cure. It is a rare syndrome so if you don't have it... don't worry that you will get it. If it goes away within a month it is not considered persistent mal de debarquement syndrome (MdDS). No way to know, though, who is more likely to get it.

I always take Bonine or something similar every day while on a cruise and for several days after the cruise. If I do that I don't suffer any ill effects...vertigo, nausea etc.

My feet swell, but super swell on a cruise.. A lot of it is eating more salt than usual.

Me too! I have a bad knee that has to eventually be replaced and I swelled up like a balloon in that whole leg. I was told mid cruise from another long time cruiser that this is really common because the water even has salt in it! And here I was drinking extra water at dinner thinking I needed more because I was so swollen. :eek::rolleyes: