Laminai Ruins and River Boat Safari review/tips

Thirsty Cruiser

Just got back yesterday, and I'm seeing a lot of questions about Lamanai, so posting here. Overall, it was one of the best excursions I've ever been on. The guides are with you from the time you step off the tender for the entire day, and are knowledgeable, humorous, informative and very entertaining. The combination of narrated bus ride with a boat ride to and from the ruins makes for a great experience. The new embarkation facility where you board the boat, the grounds and trails at the site, and the ruins themselves were all in excellent shape. This was a top-notch operation that exceeded my expectations.

Here's how your trip might go if you take the ship excursion:

Our group met in the forward lounge and all got on the tender together. At the port, they met us at the tender and walked us over to the other side of the #4 building while some used the rest room before the hour and fifteen minute bus ride.

*Tip 1: If you want a seat near the front, this is the time to hang back towards the parking lot, then be the first in line behind the guide as he leads you to the bus.

The bus ride passed quickly, as the three guides used that time for a very interesting presentation on wildlife and Maya and Belizean language, customs, etc. The ride takes you through some beautiful countryside where you could see some wildlife (we saw monkeys), over some primitive bridges, and at the very end a couple miles of dirt road. Overall, however, the roads are in pretty good shape.

At the boat dock, there is a newly-built bar, restaurant, and shop where you will have a very short time to use the restrooms before the half hour boat ride. You can grab a coke or water here.

* Tip 2: Buy a drink here if you don't already have a drink with you. This is your last opportunity to purchase a drink and you need to stay hydrated while walking the trails and climbing the ruins.

* Tip 3: The boat ride is about a half hour, and there are a limited number of seats with shade from the hot Belizean sun. If you want a spot in the shade, line up early after arriving at the boat dock.

The boat travels down a brand new man-made canal, then up a creek before joining the New River. From there you will head down the river at high speed.

* Tip 4: Be careful to hold onto your hats and loose items on the boat ride. Someone lost a backpack and was lucky it didn't sink before we could get turned around to retrieve it.

The boat ride ends at the dock near the ruins. The guided tour will take you in a loop of the 5 ruins, which I'd estimate is about a mile loop on mostly gravel-lined trails.

* Tip 5: There are fire ants everywhere. I was bitten up pretty badly. Be careful in the gravel as they will get in your shoes and bite the heck out of you.

* Tip 6: The tour is through mostly shaded but humid jungle, so you'll get pretty sweaty. Bring a hand towel from your stateroom to deal with that.

You will climb one of the ruins -- the tallest temple -- via a system of wooden stairs with hand rails that was built around the sides and back of the temple. The pinnacle is then reached via some very steep stone steps, and the very top is only about 20 feet across with no railings. It can get crowded up there so take your time for it to clear out. The guides will take your picture so bring your cameras.

* Tip 7: If you are not in reasonably good shape, you can skip the climb part, however it was the highlight of the day. I would estimate it's the equivalent of climbing four flights overall, so itake your time on the wooden stairs if you are not used to that level of physical activity.

* Tip 8: If you have a fear of heights or are anxious about the steep section of stone stairs at the end, at least try to make it to the landing before the steep steps. The view is incredible.

When the tour of the ruins is completed, you will again board the boat headed back to the dock where you originated. This time, you'll get about 45 minutes to spend there. This is a brand new facility, and in fact they were still doing some construction while I was there. They served a free Belizean lunch consisting of delicious rice and beans, flavorful marinated chicken, and fried plantains. They have fruit punch for free, or at the bar you can purchase soft drinks, Belikin lager and stout or coconuts filled with rum.

* Tip 9: The guides do not present on the bus ride back. Stock up on beers for the return trip, or kick back and get a nap in.

The route back is the same as the one to get there, so there is not much new to see. Back in Belize City, they'll drop you off inside the port area, just outside building 4. We didn't get back until about 3:45 and last tender was 4:15, so there was really not much time to shop or grab a drink. If you are willing to commit an entire day in port to this excursion, I would highly recommend it.

Just got back yesterday, and I'm seeing a lot of questions about Lamanai, so posting here. Overall, it was one of the best excursions I've ever been on. The guides are with you from the time you step off the tender for the entire day, and are knowledgeable, humorous, informative and very entertaining. The combination of narrated bus ride with a boat ride to and from the ruins makes for a great experience. The new embarkation facility where you board the boat, the grounds and trails at the site, and the ruins themselves were all in excellent shape. This was a top-notch operation that exceeded my expectations.

Our group met in the forward lounge and all got on the tender together. At the port, they met us at the tender and walked us over to the other side of the #4 building while some used the rest room before the hour and fifteen minute bus ride.

*Tip 1: If you want a seat near the front, this is the time to hang back towards the parking lot, then be the first in line behind the guide as he leads you to the bus.

The bus ride passed quickly, as the three guides used that time for a very interesting presentation on wildlife and Maya and Belizean language, customs, etc. The ride takes you through some beautiful countryside where you could see some wildlife (we saw monkeys), over some primitive bridges, and at the very end a couple miles of dirt road. Overall, however, the roads are in pretty good shape.

At the boat dock, there is a newly-built bar, restaurant, and shop where you will have a very short time to use the restrooms before the half hour boat ride. You can grab a coke or water here.

* Tip 2: Buy a drink here if you don't already have a drink with you. This is your last opportunity to purchase a drink and you need to stay hydrated while walking the trails and climbing the ruins.

* Tip 3: The boat ride is about a half hour, and there are a limited number of seats with shade from the hot Belizean sun. If you want a spot in the shade, line up early after arriving at the boat dock.

The boat travels down a brand new man-made canal, then up a creek before joining the New River. From there you will head down the river at high speed.

* Tip 4: Be careful to hold onto your hats and loose items on the boat ride. Someone lost a backpack and was lucky it didn't sink before we could get turned around to retrieve it.

The boat ride ends at the dock near the ruins. The guided tour will take you in a loop of the 5 ruins, which I'd estimate is about a mile loop on mostly gravel-lined trails.

* Tip 5: There are fire ants everywhere. I was bitten up pretty badly. Be careful in the gravel as they will get in your shoes and bite the heck out of you.

* Tip 6: The tour is through mostly shaded but humid jungle, so you'll get pretty sweaty. Bring a hand towel from your stateroom to deal with that.

You will climb one of the ruins -- the tallest temple -- via a system of wooden stairs with hand rails that was built around the sides and back of the temple. The pinnacle is then reached via some very steep stone steps, and the very top is only about 20 feet across with no railings. It can get crowded up there so take your time for it to clear out. The guides will take your picture so bring your cameras.

* Tip 7: If you are not in reasonably good shape, you can skip the climb part, however it was the highlight of the day. I would estimate it's the equivalent of climbing four flights overall, so itake your time on the wooden stairs if you are not used to that level of physical activity.

* Tip 8: If you have a fear of heights or are anxious about the steep section of stone stairs at the end, at least try to make it to the landing before the steep steps. The view is incredible.

When the tour of the ruins is completed, you will again board the boat headed back to the dock where you originated. This time, you'll get about 45 minutes to spend there. This is a brand new facility, and in fact they were still doing some construction while I was there. They served a free Belizean lunch consisting of delicious rice and beans, flavorful marinated chicken, and fried plantains. They have fruit punch for free, or at the bar you can purchase soft drinks, Belikin lager and stout or coconuts filled with rum.

* Tip 9: The guides do not present on the bus ride back. Stock up on beers for the return trip, or kick back and get a nap in.

The route back is the same as the one to get there, so there is not much new to see. Back in Belize City, they'll drop you off inside the port area, just outside building 4. We didn't get back until about 3:45 and last tender was 4:15, so there was really not much time to shop or grab a drink. If you are willing to commit an entire day in port to this excursion, I would highly recommend it.

When you say 4 flights of steps, how many steps per flight would you say there was? If I am slow going up the steps, is that going to create a problem for others? If I decide to turn around and go back down, is there room to do so? Do I need to wear a long sleeve shirt? Did you bring bug spray?

Did you book through the ship or independently?

Being that they stated: "Here's how your trip might go if you take the ship excursion" and "Our group met in the forward lounge" I am going to guess that they booked through the ship. ;)

Edited by NightOne

Did you book through the ship or independently?

Through the ship. Independently seemed too risky given the length of the tour.

When you say 4 flights of steps, how many steps per flight would you say there was? If I am slow going up the steps, is that going to create a problem for others? If I decide to turn around and go back down, is there room to do so? Do I need to wear a long sleeve shirt? Did you bring bug spray?

Looking at the sign (see image) it's 33 meters to the top. I'd guess it's like climbing a 4-5 story building to get to the stone steps.

No worries about slow - the stairs are plenty wide enough to be passed or turn around if needed. There are railings as well.

Aside from the fire ants, I was not bothered by insects. I had mosquito spray but did not use it. I'd bring it. Long sleeves might be too warm.

image.jpg.f75ab4688a5ef908d3ba69410ca0171f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Princess rates this excursion as being strenuous but I am thinking it would be more likely moderate if one did not climb the ruins. Would this be a correct assumption or are there steep hills one has to climb? Also are there places to sit while waiting for others to climb the ruins? Was the bus a regular coach bus with a/c or old school bus vehicles. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Sandy :D

Princess rates this excursion as being strenuous but I am thinking it would be more likely moderate if one did not climb the ruins. Would this be a correct assumption or are there steep hills one has to climb? Also are there places to sit while waiting for others to climb the ruins? Was the bus a regular coach bus with a/c or old school bus vehicles. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Sandy :D

Well, as I said it's about a mile walk on mostly level gravel. Time is tight so they walk you at a brisk pace. There are no benches that I recall. Climbing the tall temple was the highlight of the trip. At a minimum, a person should be capable of walking a mile over gravel roads and standing for about an hour. For the temple, they should be able to climb 4-5 stories of stairs.

Bottom line is if someone is not in decent shape it might not be the best choice.

Well, as I said it's about a mile walk on mostly level gravel. Time is tight so they walk you at a brisk pace. There are no benches that I recall. Climbing the tall temple was the highlight of the trip. At a minimum, a person should be capable of walking a mile over gravel roads and standing for about an hour. For the temple, they should be able to climb 4-5 stories of stairs.

Bottom line is if someone is not in decent shape it might not be the best choice.

Thanks for your response. Actually it was your comments that made me ask other questions. Not concerned about the mile walk and would probably go a bit up the stairs but will not climb to the top. Sure would have appreciated a place to sit while waiting. We do our research very carefully so we fully know what to expect.

Sandy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. I am booked for this excursion but I will probably cancel it. I had surgery last Monday and had 15 inches of colon, ovary and appendix removed. We still have about 49 days before I would do this but I doubt I will be up to doing all of that.

My husband and I booked this excursion for our cruise in December. I have 48 days to get in shape so I can make it to the top!! Wish me luck. I went on the excursion a few years ago to the xunantunich ruins, it was so humid and hot and I didn't want to risk trying to get up there and getting light headed due to the heat. . I'm hoping I do better this time.

We tried to do the price match thru carnival but they declined us. The excursion looked exactly the same but they said nope because they say (carnival) that they stop at AyinHa park for the meal and shopping and the other one really didn't specify where they stopped for the meal. :(

But it should be fun anyway!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We went on the excursion a few days ago. Most of the tips are spot on. We did not see any fire ants. We had bug spray but it didn't seem needed at all. The ruins are awesome. Many people chose not to climb and there were a few places to sit. It was very hot. The first ruin is about 50 feet. It's not just about climbing stairs. The stairs are very tall and at 5'5" i strained a muscle on the first one. I did climb the second high tower too at over 120 feet. Many did not. The view was spectacular and thankfully I had a friend to spot me going down. If I weren't in fairly good shape or had a fear of heights I would not have attempted. The tour was super informative even if you chose not to climb any of the ruins. One note though, I would watch what you eat at the lunch. The food was delicious but a few on our roll call ended up not feeling well the next day. We speculate it might be the potato salad. Most folks were fine though and I would recommend the tour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Very good info. My wife and I are going in March 2017 on Royal Carib and assume the trip will be much the same as it is titled the same. Sounds like we made a good choice for this excursion. Would you suggest shorts to wear with sun screen or would you recommend a thin wick away long pants. I would prefer shorts, but am 60 years old. Appreciate your advice.

• 1 year later...

Thank you OP for the tips! Even though this was written originally a few years ago, I'm sure some of the info still applies. Thanks again!

I did this excursion through Carnival and had an unpleasant experience. When we arrived at the boat dock to get on the boat to go out to the ruins, I purposely bypassed the shopping and getting something to drink to be the first one on the boat so I could get a good seat to be able to see as I am short. The last people to get on were a couple and one sat next to me and the other across the aisle. The tour guide, Elvis, decided the couple should sit together and moved me from a seat where I could see the scenery to a place where the only thing I saw was the front wall of the boat, the sky and the back side of boat driver. The tour guide told me to sit on seat cushions which didn't change the view for me, just more of the same. Finally the couple said I should be back where I was originally sitting so I could see. The tour guide did move me back, but after that he harassed me as to "don't you trust me" ,"I never have had anyone not trust me" etc. The ruins were awesome, but the experience of the boat ride really soured me on this tour. Why would you move someone who worked hard to get on the boat by not doing fun stuff at the boat dock to be first to get a good seat and then after he moved me to an undesirable location where I saw nothing on the boat trip then harass me over the situation because I didn't 'like' the tour guide enough? For this reason I will never do this excursion again through the ship for fear I will get this same tour guide. I will stick with Shore excursion group to go to the ruins.

I did this excursion through Carnival and had an unpleasant experience. When we arrived at the boat dock to get on the boat to go out to the ruins, I purposely bypassed the shopping and getting something to drink to be the first one on the boat so I could get a good seat to be able to see as I am short. The last people to get on were a couple and one sat next to me and the other across the aisle. The tour guide, Elvis, decided the couple should sit together and moved me from a seat where I could see the scenery to a place where the only thing I saw was the front wall of the boat, the sky and the back side of boat driver. The tour guide told me to sit on seat cushions which didn't change the view for me, just more of the same. Finally the couple said I should be back where I was originally sitting so I could see. The tour guide did move me back, but after that he harassed me as to "don't you trust me" ,"I never have had anyone not trust me" etc. The ruins were awesome, but the experience of the boat ride really soured me on this tour. Why would you move someone who worked hard to get on the boat by not doing fun stuff at the boat dock to be first to get a good seat and then after he moved me to an undesirable location where I saw nothing on the boat trip then harass me over the situation because I didn't 'like' the tour guide enough? For this reason I will never do this excursion again through the ship for fear I will get this same tour guide. I will stick with Shore excursion group to go to the ruins.

I sort of had something similar happen to me on the boat portion of the excursion. I had a good seat on the front left at the edge of the boat. Some girl sat right next to me even though she was with her boyfriend. Then the boyfriend whined and they moved me to the center/center of the boat where I couldn’t see anything good. I blame the couple - she should have stayed with her boyfriend.

I did complain that I got screwed but didn’t make any further noise about it. We had other tour guides (not Elvis)

However, it didn’t ruin the excursion for me as we still had the boat ride back and I got a better view on that ride. (plus I had a great time during all the other parts) :)

"the ruins were awesome"

that's all I wanted to hear, disregarded the rest.