The Last Straw on NCL? Awesome!

descal13

I had read that some cruise lines had gone to only giving straws upon request which is what I was expecting when asking for one with my first BBC of my 10 day Med on the Star and to my dismay they said they didn't have any straws at all. Had I known this I would have brought my own because it is no fun drinking a blender drink without one. Every time you tip the glass it hits you in the face. I had to ask for a spoon :) I get wanting to be environmentally sound but then every drink you get on the pool deck is in a plastic cup so there's that.

Plastic cups can be re used?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I went ahead and picked up a pack of silicone straws to take. But they’re definitely larger in diameter than I think I’ll like. Probably good for a frozen drink, though.

Any recommendations for a silicone straw that’s a more comparable size to a traditional one?

Thanks!

I went ahead and picked up a pack of silicone straws to take. But they’re definitely larger in diameter than I think I’ll like. Probably good for a frozen drink, though.

Any recommendations for a silicone straw that’s a more comparable size to a traditional one?

Thanks!

You are still allowed to bring your own plastic straws. Just make sure they land up in the garbage after you use them!

Thanks!

Amazon has numerous choices, many called thin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are still talking about straws?

How about the sewage that is dumped into the Ocean by vessels (not just Cruise Lines). Sure, there are regulations and lots of gray areas which I am not qualified to comment on. But they do dump...

Maybe we should not flush or take a shower in an effort to help the planet/marine life. Can that be enforced on Cruise Lines to reduce the amount of "treated" water which is released into the Ocean?

Even though the Cruise Industry continues to profit, and they pass inspections on water treatment release into the Ocean, I would still love a straw in my drink if it behooves me...

JMO :)

We are still talking about straws?

How about the sewage that is dumped into the Ocean by vessels (not just Cruise Lines). Sure, there are regulations and lots of gray areas which I am not qualified to comment on. But they do dump...

Maybe we should not flush or take a shower in an effort to help the planet/marine life. Can that be enforced on Cruise Lines to reduce the amount of "treated" water which is released into the Ocean?

Even though the Cruise Industry continues to profit, and they pass inspections on water treatment release into the Ocean, I would still love a straw in my drink if it behooves me...

JMO :)

Sorry, what was the purpose of your post. If you are not qualified to comment, why did you?

Sorry, what was the purpose of your post. If you are not qualified to comment, why did you?

Guess you didn't fully understand purpose. Here ya go...

JMO clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Guess you didn't fully understand purpose. Here ya go...

JMO clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

I understood perfectly. It appears you are the one not qualified to read. As stated before, we want a straw with our drinks.

There are great deals on Amazon... around $5 for 500 of them. If you'd like a straw that badly I'd recommend purchasing them as NCL won't be changing course just because a few people complain. I purchased a big pack of them already in anticipation of my next cruise in January.

There are great deals on Amazon... around $5 for 500 of them. If you'd like a straw that badly I'd recommend purchasing them as NCL won't be changing course just because a few people complain. I purchased a big pack of them already in anticipation of my next cruise in January.
do you take these 500 straws with you back home and recycle appropriately? or do you leave the straw in your empty glass and NCL is back to processing them.

do you take these 500 straws with you back home and recycle appropriately? or do you leave the straw in your empty glass and NCL is back to processing them.

No I throw them straight into the ocean so the fish can choke and die.... really???? NCL removed straws to be more environmentally friendly yet have stuck with plastic cups. Do you take all of your drink cups home and recycle them appropriately? I mean come on... there really is no making everyone happy...

Then NCL needs to come up with an alternative for the plastic straws.

Then NCL needs to come up with an alternative for the plastic straws.

There was a news item in the U.K. press this week that someone is starting a new company over here making paper straws.

No I throw them straight into the ocean so the fish can choke and die.... really???? NCL removed straws to be more environmentally friendly yet have stuck with plastic cups. Do you take all of your drink cups home and recycle them appropriately? I mean come on... there really is no making everyone happy...
Yes really..... Don't deflect..... my question is totally relevant ...... NCL is trying to make a change and people bringing their own plastic straws but leaving them for NCL to dispose of...... defeats the action NCL is attempting to do. So, I ask again...... will you collect the plastic straws you bring on board and bring them home to recycle? If a product is supplied by NCL then I expect NCL to have a process in place to properly dispose of but if straws aren't supplied by NCL then why are they held responsible to dispose of.

Coming soon to the forum...

"I refuse to sail NCL because they don't have Coke." will be replaced by "I refuse to sail NCL because they don't have straws.".

My response to that is "good luck with that." Several news outlets online are reporting that Royal Caribbean and Carnival are discontinuing straws as well.

I sailed on the Breakaway on April - and wasn't aware there would be no straws. It was near impossible to drink frozen drinks. When the glass was full, the only way to get the thick beverage out was to rudely slurp, and when I got to the bottom of the glass, I couldn't get the thick substance to slide down the glass into my mouth. I will be bringing straws on the next cruise (no matter what line!). I hope they don't start confiscating them before boarding.

Anybody consider that maybe they know it's difficult to drink a frozen drink without a straw and maybe there is an efficiency survey or cost analysis behind the whole thing showing that after one pina colada ending up down the front of your bathing suit that people switch to beer?

Probably

Anybody consider that maybe they know it's difficult to drink a frozen drink without a straw and maybe there is an efficiency survey or cost analysis behind the whole thing showing that after one pina colada ending up down the front of your bathing suit that people switch to beer?

Probably

Also, the moon landing was fake.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Glad I read this thread. I will now pack straws when we go on NCL in January. I would not have been happy if I had ordered a frozen drink and told no straw. Just how in the world are you suppose to drink a mudslide without a straw?

Perish the thought!

First off, NCL did not say they are not providing straws at all; they said they are available upon request, as far as I understand. Second, this is such a petty and lame attempt at PR by NCL it is almost laughable. The sad thing about it is people continue to fall for the doublespeak by the rich and elite in making their lives more difficult with self inflicted discomforts.

You wanna make a change, boycott products from China where pollution and overpopulation will soon wipe out all the animals there. You know about the Baiji, right? Ahh no, that is not possible as they get all their cheap junk from the slave market there. Just like when Al Gore told us here in America to pay for our natural CO2 production while he lived large in his mansions and traveling in his private jets. Are you useful crikets getting it yet?