Q for folks who LIKE Sanctuary in Alaska

Ellipooh

We are traveling to Alaska with my 89yo in-laws in early September on the Grand. First time to Alaska for everyone. Our WS cabins do not have balconies so we’ll need to be on deck for Glacier Bay day.

I totally understand that the overwhelming consensus here on cc is that use of the Sanctuary on that day is not recommended, and that we’ll want to have the freedom to move around as the scenery changes.

However, due to age, mobility, a strong distaste for crowds, and the fact that our budget allows it, I’m leaning toward purchasing passes for GB day. This is a (mostly) informed decision after due consideration of our particular circumstances.

So, for those who have previously made the same decision and been happy with the results, a few questions:

Should we opt for loungers under the covering or uncovered? Choose loungers front and center, or to the side? Since there will be four of us, maybe 2 on one side and 2 on the other? I think I’d rather have all four together.

Are there tiki torches offering warmth, or just blankets? I’m especially looking forward to in-&-out privileges, and being able to return to my reserved lounger.

I understand that the staff will provide limited food and beverage options. We will have S&S, can they get specialty coffees and cocktails for us?

Anything else you can share would be most appreciated. TIA!

I booked the Sanctuary for Glacier Bay on my April/May cruise.

Book front and as close to center as possible. This is the most protected in terms of wind and rain. I booked just to the right of the spa cabanas. I was able to move around, view and take photos from a variety of locations. The best photos were when I walked behind the cabanas. Had unobstructed views from there.

The negative is that the protective glass windbreak will likely be dirty. The ship cannot clean the glass while in Glacier Bay.

I used three blankets. No heaters

Pastries, mimosas, Bloody Mary’s, coffee and tea were available in the morning. You can order anything off the Sanctuary menu of lunch and it’s delivered right to your lounger at no extra charge. Irish coffee in the afternoon along with afternoon tea. A professional photo is taken and included.

This is the view from my lounger towards behind the cabanas.

699994d81efe22c63a4bbbd6fafe061a.heic

Thanks so much for your response, Pam-in-CA. It still sounds like a great idea, but the non-transparency of the window screens as shown in your pic is a bit ... disillusioning.:(

As Pam noted, the problem is that for environmental reasons, they are severely restricted in where they can clean the windows. That's another reason that the open decks are popular.

I think with 89 yr olds with you Sanctuary is a logical solution. But, we sail window suites whenever possible. They are deck 6. the lovely covered Promenade deck is one flight up. Pros - no dirty glass to look through, under cover, easy to go inside and walk across to the other side of Promenade when the ship turns. Cons, although it is a frequently underutilized location, it can get crowded.

With my parents, who are in their mid 80's and much frailer than they were when I was a kid, but not really terribly frail, the Promenade solution would be optimum. You have to know if they would be measureably safer up in Sanctuary or not.

Do not dispair. I just took my 74 yr old mom to Alaska earlier this month. She was in a wheelchair, but we found a nice spot on deck 7 (Promenade) near the forward elevators. It was a drizzly day, so the cover overhead was great! It was not crowded where we were either, since there was pretty much just room for one row by the railing and a row for people to pass behind (life vest storage was nearby).

We watched for a bit then went inside and found a spot in the theater to hear the park ranger presentation then went back outside to our spot a bit longer. This spot was great for being close to the theater which filled up so much the cruise director was telling people about overflow areas. It was close to the elevators closest to our room too. Mom was not interested in staying out for hours, but we got a good look around. We did have a balcony, so we saw some from there as well as other windows on the ship. They also have it on the TV in the room.

I would say that it’s probably a good idea to have a spot to go watch unobstructed for some part but it’s not totally required for the entire time.

I will say that Glacier Bay was the one time when we had a problem with my mom being in a wheelchair. One lady practically ran over my mom trying to get to another part of the ship to get a different view when I was trying to swing Mom around so I could back into the doorway which had a ramp on it to go back inside. So, if on open decks, be wary of the rude people who might not slow down for your parents.

Thank you all so very much for sharing your experiences. It’s beginning to look like a better option might just be the Promenade deck near our cabins. I honestly hadn’t considered that no one in my party will WANT to be outdoors for any length of time. Which was why we booked the WS in the first place. Good reminder.