Upgrade Fairy Question...Earliest/Latest You've Been Contacted

For those of you who have been lucky enough to receive an upgrade email/call, how close/far away from your actual sail date did you receive them?

I just booked a Feb 2019 cruise in a 4S room and would take a reasonably priced offer if it could get me into a Balcony. :):):):)

Carnival contacted me by phone the Thursday before my cruise left San Juan on Sunday in Jan.2016 to upsell me from a 1A porthole room on the Liberty to a balcony room for 2 for $125 per person. I jumped on it! There was a blizzard on the East coast and lots of people could not make their flights south and canceled.

I booked in January for thanksgiving and have not made final payment. I got an email yesterday offering an upsell. Didn’t know at the time that I could have changed the options and see if there were any options that I did like. I ended up declining the offer to upgrade to a balcony from an ocean view for 420.00. If I would have seen a better location or even a balcony with a lower price to upgrade, I would consider. I am hoping to see something for my upcoming cruise in August as I have 2 4K cabins that I miiiight give up if the deal was better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Earliest was 149 days before the cruise (that was 5 days ago) the latest was 1 day before the cruise (I was waiting to board a flight to Los Angeles when I got the call).

Edited by steadyone

5 days to go from 1A upper/lower porthole to 8D balcony on the Triumph(1/15/18 for 1/20/18)

1 month to go from grand suite to owner's suite on the Sensation(1/7/16 for 2/7/16)

I declined the offer for the Triumph and never called about the offer for the Sensation.

Do you need to be paid in full to hear from the upgrade fairy, for those that have gotten them before the final due date?

That's a good Question, both of my upsell offers were on cruises that were paid off.

Edited by steadyone

Do you need to be paid in full to hear from the upgrade fairy, for those that have gotten them before the final due date?

I was not paid in full when I received the offer. I booked in early April and received the email exactly 2 weeks later. This is for our July 7th cruise.

The earliest call we received was two months before our Miracle cruise out of NYC in 2009 - $500 to switch four of us from connecting balcony cabins to adjoining ocean suites. For an 8-day cruise, we went for it. The latest was a Friday call for a Sunday sailing, to switch us from an aft wrap and adjoining balcony to all four of us in a grand suite. We didn't take the offer at first - but then they came back with the fares for the adjoining balcony as OBC. Yeah, we took that.

When I got an upsell offer, my cruise was paid in full, and it was well before the date that final payment was due. The upsell offer was to go from a midship Empress deck interior to a Main deck back of ship balcony for $334. This was for the Elation on a 5 day cruise. I thought the cost was way too high and I passed on the offer. Hoping I get another better offer before my cruise.

For those of you who have been lucky enough to receive an upgrade email/call, how close/far away from your actual sail date did you receive them?

I just booked a Feb 2019 cruise in a 4S room and would take a reasonably priced offer if it could get me into a Balcony. :):):):)

Don't hold your breath.

We booked in early April to sail on the Conquest on May 18, 2019. We got an upgrade offer (Oceanview on Deck 2 to Balcony on Deck 7 for $118...took it) on May 24...so almost a year in advance of our sailing. We wondered if a group was perhaps trying to book rooms together and we were in the way. It just seemed like a very good deal to be receiving that far ahead of the sail date...but definitely not complaining. :D

We have received a fair number of upsell offers after 33 Carnival cruises and the earliest was about 3 weeks before the cruise and the latest was less than one week before the cruise.

I have had 3 offers in the past--I don't remember the timing-I think a few months out.

I took 2 of them, because I always booked my boys (college aged at the time) in insides near my balcony room. I was able to upgrade them to balconies on those 2 offers I took for less than 100 each time.

The 3rd offer was just for one of our rooms to move to a higher floor and I didn't want that.

A friend and I are doing a back to back sailing beginning Nov. 26th, about 5 months away. I had an email offer on the 2nd sailing about a week ago; it listed a specific cabin for the offer. Going from an inside on Empress to oceanview a couple of decks lower. I didn't respond to that one.

Then, a couple of days ago I had a phone call offer, again to move from interior to OV. Depending on which deck I chose, it would be at a total cost of $42-$52.

We would have taken that except for the fact that we have the same cabin booked for both cruises of our B2B so that we don't have to pack and move luggage! And the offer was only for one of them. Not worth it to us to have to pack and change cabins mid-point.

Since this is 5 months out, and we're not completely paid yet, there could be another offer. Bottom line is we are happy with where we are, so not in a big hurry to change for a slight difference.

We are not near final payment. Our cruise is thanksgiving day and we just have a normal ocean view room. We were offered to go to balcony for 400 which is not a good deal. We are traveling with family members for one and it is only a 4 day cruise so the cabin doesn’t really matter for me to pay more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I booked in March and received my first upgrade offer just 18 days after (by email). I've had 3 offers so far. I'm in a balcony room and offers have just been for balcony rooms on a higher deck. I declined, because I chose my deck for a reason. It isn't next to or directly under places that would be noisy (pool, dining rooms, etc).