Burger Wars

I plan out our Vegas trips in some detail (to squeeze as much as possible into a few short days). Two trips in a row were centered around highly rated/reviewed burger places - and there were plenty to sample!

My favorite of all time was at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill (Caesars). It was one of those "singing angel" moments. The sad thing is, upon two return trips - I found I couldn't step into the same river twice -- both repeats were actually sub-par, one barely edible (burnt).... oh well, it will just live on in my memories!

MESA BURGER *

Double Cheddar Cheese

Grilled Vidalia Onion + Horseradish Mustard

served with Southwestern Fries

Tom

There are definitely good burger options in Las Vegas! Did you see the $777 Burger at Le Burger Brasserie inside Paris? I had a normal burger there and it wasn't bad, but they've got some crazy deserts.

777-burger_custom-1298fdd4843de1d5a084c35e244cc2160ca1c718-s800-c85.jpg

Paris Las Vegas

I personally enjoy med-rare to rare steaks. My issue with ground meat being rare or med-rare is what I think most of us have read about and that is the meat used to grind into hamburgers. Older meats and in many cases adding older ground meat into the mix - probably not aboard a ship I would hope!, but ‘hope’ doesnt insure anything.

So yes, I like a good juicy cut of meat and also go more rare then I use to with lamb and pork because the old issues are no longer concerns with those meats, but ground meat......I’ll go with well cooked to ensure issues with contamination is addressed.

I just love the various subjects we discuss on this forum. Fun!!

Den

The problem with cooking burgers mid-rare vs steaks mid-rare is that the exterior portion of raw beef can have E coli whereas the interior is safe. You can cook the outside of a steak (to kill of potential E coli), but safely have the interior rare (though medium rare results in maximum benefit of taste/temp/texture).

With ground beef, what was on the exterior is now mixed up and much is now in the interior (when meat is ground and made into a patty). Only way to safely avoid E coli risk is to cook a burger all the way through (to at least 155 degrees). The risk is low, but is present, if you cook to under 155.

Freshly ground beef where the meat is from a single cow from a sanitary farm and ground with sanitary equipment minimizes the risk - and it is relatively safe to consume such a burger medium rare. With cheap quality beef that is pre-ground, one patty might contain meat from dozens or more cows - all it takes is one of those cows to have E coli to be at risk. Non sanitary farm conditions and/or grinding equipment exacerbates the risk.

As such it is not wise to consume burgers not cooked to at least 155 degrees unless you know it is freshly ground, from a single cow, from a good quality farm and done in a sanitary kitchen. Good quality medium rare, properly executed ground beef is a real treat. If the beef isn’t high quality, you are not missing out on much if you cook it to 155.

What Gonzo70 says.

Den

I'd rather have a burger I enjoy and take the miniscule risk involved. But by all means you and Gonzo70 and anyone else should feel free to do otherwise. I won't scold you.

Funny, how up thread I mentioned how I ordered a burger medium rare at the Gastropub and that when I mentioned it in a thread at the time, back in August, I got scolded. I just had to look back, and sure enough it was Gonzo70 who did the scolding. So I guess he is the self-appointed burger police.

Another funny thing, I moved from CA, where it is almost impossible to get even a medium burger, let alone medium rare, to CO, where you can easily get blood rare burgers and I can't find any reports of higher incidences of e coli here compared to CA. I'll stick to living life on the (delicious) edge, where burgers are concerned.

And heck, I'm 62, and if a burger kills me, fair enough. I've killed plenty of them, LOL.

I'd rather have a burger I enjoy and take the miniscule risk involved. But by all means you and Gonzo70 and anyone else should feel free to do otherwise. I won't scold you.

I think Gonzo's point was to explain the difference of why it is generally a lot more safe to order steak tartare/beef carpaccio as opposed to a rare burger. Some people that all uncooked/rare beef is created equal, which is not the case as Gonzo explained. You may understand that, but many don't. As is often the case here, a reply to a particular poster is as much about informing the general public as it is replying to that specific poster.

Is that something different than steak tartare? I've never heard the term filet-americain before.

Same.:eek:

You will see it a lot in restaurants in Belgium, especially Brussels. Americans mistake it for a real filet mignon.

I think Gonzo's point was to explain the difference of why it is generally a lot more safe to order steak tartare/beef carpaccio as opposed to a rare burger. Some people that all uncooked/rare beef is created equal, which is not the case as Gonzo explained. You may understand that, but many don't. As is often the case here, a reply to a particular poster is as much about informing the general public as it is replying to that specific poster.

Without a doubt there is more risk in (under cooked) commercial ground beef when compared to individual cuts. Most of the tartare and beef carpaccio I've enjoyed was hand cut from tenderlion.

When eating rare burgers, I have that same little voice in the back of my mind as when I'm enjoying raw oysters. Nonetheless...

Tom

We're now booked on the Celebrity Summit in October. Wheres the best burgers or tasty food in general after we embark? We didn't book a suite just a normal balcony.

If you want a good burger, wait until you get to a port and look for the Golden Arches.

Seriously, the best food is usually found in the Specialty Restaurants on the ship. Lamb, ribs and steak are very good.

If you want a good burger, wait until you get to a port and look for the Golden Arches.

Seriously, the best food is usually found in the Specialty Restaurants on the ship. Lamb, ribs and steak are very good.

Since we're only paying $500 for a balcony I'm sure we can swing that. Get the full experience and range of this line before we get to take a break in St. Thomas and head straight for the Golden Arches, haha. :p

The burgers at the pool grill on M Class ships are decent enough, but not great.

You can get burgers at the pool grill or the Oceanview grill at the AFT and in back of the Oceanview buffet. The pool grill burgers are better. However, my favorite place to eat and drink on the M Class ships is the Sunset Bar outside on the AFT. Tables fill up fast, but there is a bar there and great bar service and nice tables "with the view". On warm weather itineraries, there is live music there as well. It's absolutely my favorite place to eat and one of my favorite spots of all on the M class ships. On a nice morning, not a bad place for a bloody mary with your omelet. :cool:

I love a good burger. I guess food is really subjective because I would not ever say Fuddruckers and Five Guys burgers are good. The best burger I have had on a cruise is from Lawn Club Grill. The mast grill burgers are pathetic IMO. I am cruising soon and cant wait to try the burger at Luminae and the Gastrobar as they both look like my style of burger. Not to hijack this thread but has anyone tried the pizza at the Gastrobar as all pizza on Celebrity ships is not very good with the exception of Lawn Club Grill (although last cruise this had gone downhill also)?

Not to hijack this thread but has anyone tried the pizza at the Gastrobar as all pizza on Celebrity ships is not very good with the exception of Lawn Club Grill (although last cruise this had gone downhill also)?

I love Celebrity but have to admit that their pizza can not hold a candle to the New York Pizza now offered on HAL ships. It is absolutely the best pizza I have ever had on any ship. They are made to order and you get the whole pizza rather than a slice.

Mast Grill burgers are school canteen standard. Luminae burgers are ok but nothing to write home about, but they are definitely better than Mast Grill's.

Save your burger needs for when you get on land.

Our favorite fastfood burgers are from Carl's Jr... six dollar burgers, they have a new name for it now.

Next is In-N-Out Burger but make sure you order triple-double or triple-triple. The patties are thin and you should order 2 or 3 patties, hence the first "triple", followed by how many slices of real cheese that you want. In-N-Out has no freezer or microwave. Every joint is within 300 miles from their patty manufacturing plant. Fresh patties, fresly sliced potatoes to make fries, hand leafed lettuce. Oh, you need to order extra crispy fries, otherwise it may be a little limp. We also order protein style, without the buns as we limit our carb intake.

"Burgers" are not the reason to cruise or select a ship/line. Try itineraries/ports. Appears this is more of an effort to seek attention.

Tell that to my son who has cruised on Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival. He was on Oasis last February and his next cruise is on Carnival because of Guy's. He goes on cruises to rest and relax and really doesn't care about the itinerary or entertainment. Personally I don't see why cruising on a particular line because of something a person likes to eat is any stranger that sailing on a ship because of the captain or the CD.

Tell that to my son who has cruised on Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival. He was on Oasis last February and his next cruise is on Carnival because of Guy's. He goes on cruises to rest and relax and really doesn't care about the itinerary or entertainment. Personally I don't see why cruising on a particular line because of something a person likes to eat is any stranger that sailing on a ship because of the captain or the CD.

Each to his own I guess. I’ve told this story before, there was a woman years ago on this board who cancelled her cruise because they served coke products instead of Pepsi or vice versa.