Expense account

wr813

My daughter is going on a cruise with friends. If I set up her onboard expense account with my credit card, does she need to have the actual credit card with her or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do not have to have the physical card. In the online check-in, there is an authorization form that you need to fill out. She will need to bring the completed authorization form, a legible copy of the front and back of your credit card with signature, and a copy of your government issued photo id front and back with signature. All signatures must match. You can get all information in the FAQs under Sail & Sign Account- Use of a Credit Card by a Third Party.

You do not have to have the physical card. In the online check-in, there is an authorization form that you need to fill out. She will need to bring the completed authorization form, a legible copy of the front and back of your credit card with signature, and a copy of your government issued photo id front and back with signature. All signatures must match. You can get all information in the FAQs under Sail & Sign Account- Use of a Credit Card by a Third Party.

What happens if your photo ID has your full middle name but your credit card only has your middle initial?

I do not think the middle initial is a big deal. I would let the child have the actual card since you never know what might come up. First on our most recent cruise our card was disconnect from the sign and sail although I set it up online. On the cruise before, I set it used with a credit card but again the end up charging my debit card that I used to purchase the cruise. Next, cruise I will double check on board.

Have fun!

My daughter is going on a cruise with friends. If I set up her onboard expense account with my credit card, does she need to have the actual credit card with her or not?

Not at all.

"a legible copy of the front and back of your credit card with signature"

I have never made a copy of my credit card for anything ever, nor has Carnival ever asked for it.

That is true for self use, but have you ever set up a S&S account for a relative when you yourself are not sailing nor you wish to give them the actual card but still wish to pay for their on board bills?

One cruise due to a fraud problem with my CC I had to use DH's card. Even though I had the physical card, as soon as the check-in clerk noticed that he was not on the boarding pass (I was cruising w/mom), she asked if he was sailing on a different booking. When I said no, she asked for the authorization form and copies of his photo ID.

I never have, or never would give access to my credit to any child, or friend, under any circumstance. It takes one mistake to ruin it for years.

With that being said, you kid can have a cash account, set up, so just give cash. Or you can get her a debit card on her personal checking account. Or give her a prepaid Visa card in her name. Many options.

I'd personally give her cash and have her use that to fund her onboard account. But, if you set up her account at online check-in, there's no need to show the card onboard. I have never had to.

I don’t know how old or responsible the daughter is, but unless she is traveling with a friend who you can ask to pay for an unexpected expense; there’s no way I would send her on this trip without a credit card. What if she gets hurt or sick and needs to use the medical center onboard or, even worse, needs to go to a foreign hospital. If you walk into a foreign hospital, even with most insurance coverage, if you don’t have the ability access to several thousand dollars, they will refuse to treat. If she’s not responsible enough to carry a card for an emergency, I would be sending her on the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you trust your daughter...add her as an authorized user on your account so she can have her own card. Problem solved.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers!

Excellent idea. Heaven forbid she breaks her arm on an excursion and needs to see a doctor abroad. A sail and sign account does no good in this case. Adding her as an authorized user makes sure she can access the account any time she needs to, they'll send her a card with her name on it.

Excellent time to use Carnival Gift Cards. You can find them at your local Lowe's Home Improvement Center, or at a Publix (and several other retailers) or at https://carnival.ourgiftcards.com/

I had an entire stack of them last cruise. Not one, not three, not six but I think I had seven or more. I buy them with lesser amounts when I have extra cash and save them for the cruise. Plus, I get them for birthdays, Christmas and even got one for an Anniversary and as a gift from my co-workers.

Excellent idea. Heaven forbid she breaks her arm on an excursion and needs to see a doctor abroad. A sail and sign account does no good in this case. Adding her as an authorized user makes sure she can access the account any time she needs to, they'll send her a card with her name on it.

If she is old enough to cruise with friends then she should be old enough to be trusted as an additional person on your credit card account. We got our boys cards on one of our credit card accounts when they were still in high school. They kept them through college and we encouraged our oldest son to keep it to use just in case of emergency on his honeymoon. Once he was working and had established his own high lines of credit we took him off the account, at his request.

Our younger son came back home to help out when my husbands elderly father came to live with us. He still at age 36 has that credit card and it is great that he has it. He can run errands for us and not have to use his own money.

We have not ever had an issue of either child using the card without prior permission, except in the case of emergency. Younger son once used it to pay for stitches at an urgent care clinic. It was the only one in the area and was not on his insurance plan. We were just relieved that he had it.

If she is old enough to cruise with friends then she should be old enough to be trusted as an additional person on your credit card account. We got our boys cards on one of our credit card accounts when they were still in high school. They kept them through college and we encouraged our oldest son to keep it to use just in case of emergency on his honeymoon. Once he was working and had established his own high lines of credit we took him off the account, at his request.

Our younger son came back home to help out when my husbands elderly father came to live with us. He still at age 36 has that credit card and it is great that he has it. He can run errands for us and not have to use his own money.

We have not ever had an issue of either child using the card without prior permission, except in the case of emergency. Younger son once used it to pay for stitches at an urgent care clinic. It was the only one in the area and was not on his insurance plan. We were just relieved that he had it.

If you trust your daughter...add her as an authorized user on your account so she can have her own card. Problem solved.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers!

She lives in a different city than her mom and I. She has her own cash and debit card. No trust issues, just won't see her before she leaves.

I don’t know how old or responsible the daughter is, but unless she is traveling with a friend who you can ask to pay for an unexpected expense; there’s no way I would send her on this trip without a credit card. What if she gets hurt or sick and needs to use the medical center onboard or, even worse, needs to go to a foreign hospital. If you walk into a foreign hospital, even with most insurance coverage, if you don’t have the ability access to several thousand dollars, they will refuse to treat. If she’s not responsible enough to carry a card for an emergency, I would be sending her on the trip.

She is responsible, I trust her, etc etc. She is self sufficient, has cash and plenty in her checking debit card.

I never have, or never would give access to my credit to any child, or friend, under any circumstance. It takes one mistake to ruin it for years.

With that being said, you kid can have a cash account, set up, so just give cash. Or you can get her a debit card on her personal checking account. Or give her a prepaid Visa card in her name. Many options.

Would you trust your spouse? Who said anything about a friend? My children are more responsible than most adults (in fact two of them are adults, anyway) and I would trust them with my life, so why not a credit card?

It makes things a lot easier when it comes to having them pick up groceries or dinner or pay for things at school which I would normally pay for anyway. They are not allowed to use the card for their own personal purchases.

Anyway, not trying to start trouble or anything, just offering my perspective.

Good day!

Brad

She is responsible, I trust her, etc etc. She is self sufficient, has cash and plenty in her checking debit card.

I was assuming this was a child at home with no money or cards of their own. If this is a self-sufficient young adult, then not entirely sure why this is even an issue.