Status of Ocean Medallion?

denamo

I know that the frequencies are different but I’ve always been amazed how well Walkie Talkies worked on a cruise ship. Maybe Princess just needs to change their frequencies for the *****. :D

ship crew/staff use Motorola walkie talkie system. very powerful system and some of them can use the ship wifi in addition to the VHF walkie talkie frequency

A good friend of ours was working with the medallion program on the ship and she knew we were on the ship. Every morning her co-workers told her "It must be about 8;30, Tom & Dianna are up in the Horizon Court having breakfast." so at least some of the capabilities were working in some of the locations.

Frankly, this is scary to me. Staff that has no legitimate reason to know where you are has access to that information.

Frankly, this is scary to me. Staff that has no legitimate reason to know where you are has access to that information.

I'm somewhere on a ship out in the ocean. What the heck do I care if somebody knows where I am? There is no way I'm going to avoid being found. I have no illusions that I am so important that anybody is going to give a hoot where the heck I am anyway. Besides, if I did have any such belief, I could always just stash that medallion in a trash can somewhere and go my merry way.

Tom

Probably over -emphasized in the small trials that were occurring. It's easier to look at a screen and see where 100 people are. If it is ever fixed, likely no one will care too much to browse through about 3000 people. I guess if you were a stalker or something, but then.....you probably could do that without the tech too......

;p

What if you are in one of these cabins and you do not want to use or carry around the *****, can you just use your regular card as in the past???

Here is a quote from the Princess ***** FAQs:

While you must carry a Medallion while onboard, it’s up to you how much or how little you want to take advantage of the full experience.

I'm somewhere on a ship out in the ocean. What the heck do I care if somebody knows where I am? There is no way I'm going to avoid being found. I have no illusions that I am so important that anybody is going to give a hoot where the heck I am anyway. Besides, if I did have any such belief, I could always just stash that medallion in a trash can somewhere and go my merry way.

Tom

I had a talk just last thursday with a Princess manager on the ruby. System is close. Concerns here are unwarranted. Will also go into that when i get time. Should be home on my pc by Friday night or Saturday and will do a write up.

I know that the frequencies are different but I’ve always been amazed how well Walkie Talkies worked on a cruise ship. Maybe Princess just needs to change their frequencies for the *****. :D

It is an entirely different system. In fact, they have even located ***** sensors in every cabin bathroom which means the cruise line has the capability to track how much time each passenger spends in said rest room. Perhaps if they detect you are spending too much time on the "John" they will send a nurse to check on your well-being :).

Hank

It is an entirely different system. In fact, they have even located ***** sensors in every cabin bathroom which means the cruise line has the capability to track how much time each passenger spends in said rest room. Perhaps if they detect you are spending too much time on the "John" they will send a nurse to check on your well-being :).

Hank

To take you mock-seriously, dunno how many folks are going to take the medallion with them to shower. :halo:

It's not unlike driving down the highway, watching traffic on Google maps or other gps system...they are using your cell phone to determine what traffic is doing.

It is not impossible that someone who wants to can see where you are, by name, on that highway. (The Supreme Court just ruled on this practice by the police)

Actually, Uber and Lyft use the same tech to locate and arrive at your location for your ride.

As the CCL Corp 2017 annual report issued earlier this year said:

"In November, we debuted the OCEAN experience platform on Regal Princess, ushering in a new era of highly personalized travel at scale. We are fine tuning and enhancing the platform based on real-time learning as we prepare for a full rollout aboard Regal Princess in 2018..."

It's not unlike driving down the highway, watching traffic on Google maps or other gps system...they are using your cell phone to determine what traffic is doing.

It is not impossible that someone who wants to can see where you are, by name, on that highway. (The Supreme Court just ruled on this practice by the police)

Actually, Uber and Lyft use the same tech to locate and arrive at your location for your ride.

Uber and Lyft use the technology to locate the address you have provided. They do not locate you.

Uber and Lyft use the technology to locate the address you have provided. They do not locate you.

Uhh… Standing mid-block on a random street, the Uber app asks your smartphone to use GPS and

directs the driver to that exact Lat/Lon. It's only if you specify an address that they use a geocode

database fetch the Lat/Lon for that address.

Here in South Florida there is an issue with 911 location...as a govt entity apparently they cannot quickly find someone in distress when they call on their cell phone using GPS.

The fuss is that private companies (Uber, Lyft) are able to locate folks using GPS and arrive within minutes.

I admit that my experience with Uber is very limited, my first experience was using it 3 times in Lima, Peru. Standing on the street...I certainly had no idea what my address was...Uber showed up in 4-7 minutes of my request.

I was impressed!

Here in South Florida there is an issue with 911 location...as a govt entity apparently they cannot quickly find someone in distress when they call on their cell phone using GPS.

The fuss is that private companies (Uber, Lyft) are able to locate folks using GPS and arrive within minutes.

I admit that my experience with Uber is very limited, my first experience was using it 3 times in Lima, Peru. Standing on the street...I certainly had no idea what my address was...Uber showed up in 4-7 minutes of my request.

I was impressed!

Apples and oranges:

911/cellphones geolocate by your signal strength at cellphone towers.

Uber/smartphones geolocate by GPS.

"Sorry, we can't dispatch an ambulance because you're only using a cellphone" won't cut it.

;p;p;p With the upcoming ATSC3.0 all things will be even better with broadcast tv (and I suppose will also work on future cruises?)" https://www.cnet.com/news/atsc-3-0-the-future-of-free-antenna-tv-is-coming-eventually/

Broadcast TV will know what you're watching

One of 3.0's more controversial features is a "return data path," which is a way for the station you're watching to know you're watching. Not only does this allow more accurate count for who's watching what shows, but it creates the opportunity for every marketer's dream: targeted advertising.

Ads specific to your viewing habits, income level and even ethnicity (presumed by your neighborhood, for example) could get slotted in by your local station. This is something brand-new for broadcast TV. Today, over-the-air broadcasts are pretty much the only way to watch television that doesn't track your viewing habits. Sure, the return data path could also allow "alternative audio tracks and interactive elements," but it's the targeted ads and tracking many observers are worried about.

The finer details are all still being worked out, but here's the thing: if your TV is connected to the internet, it's already tracking you. Pretty much every app, streaming service, smart TV and cable or satellite box all track your usage to a greater or lesser extent."

Edited by p010ne

I think based on the original roll-out schedule, by now, about 6 ships should be in service.

None are.

It's good to know that concerns are unwarranted.

The First Law of Project Management

The first half of any project consumes 90% of the allocated time.

The second half consumes the other 90%.

:halo:

The First Law of Project Management

The first half of any project consumes 90% of the allocated time.

The second half consumes the other 90%.

:halo:

Amen

Can't wait to get on my pc to write up some of the problems they ran into.

I think based on the original roll-out schedule, by now, about 6 ships should be in service.

None are.

It's good to know that concerns are unwarranted.

The concern this was in reference to was being tracked. You took it out of context.

The concern this was in reference to was being tracked. You took it out of context.

Possibly.

But, you wrote: "System is close. Concerns here are unwarranted."

Reasonable to assume 'concerns' refers to the system being completed.

A question I have, is that it was mentioned that you can use the medallion to get off/on the ship.

RCCL has a wristband that allows you to get into your room and make purchases, but you can't use it to get on/off the ship. For that you still had to use your set sail card. I thought that was odd, as from a techinical stand point there should be no reason why you shouldn't be be able to. Then it dawned me, that port security requires a picture ID and sea pass card. They need both so they can match up the name on the picture id to the name/ship on the card. The wristband has no name/ship, so it would be impossible for port security to know to allow on the dock upon returning.

Has Princess backed off of using the medallion for this purposed. Although I guess, they could still "ping" you off and on the actual ship, but you will still need a name card to get back on the dock.

Possibly.

But, you wrote: "System is close. Concerns here are unwarranted."

Reasonable to assume 'concerns' refers to the system being completed.

Pardon me for butting in...

More reasonable to assume 'concerns' refers to the system never being completed, no?

A question I have, is that it was mentioned that you can use the medallion to get off/on the ship.

I'm going to assume that was from the Marketing Dept.

Read it like you would any other ad:

It means exactly what it says, and it doesn't say anything about getting to the ship, does it? :halo:

RCCL has a wristband that allows you to get into your room and make purchases, but you can't use it to get on/off the ship. For that you still had to use your set sail card. I thought that was odd, as from a techinical stand point there should be no reason why you shouldn't be be able to. Then it dawned me, that port security requires a picture ID and sea pass card. They need both so they can match up the name on the picture id to the name/ship on the card. The wristband has no name/ship, so it would be impossible for port security to know to allow on the dock upon returning.

Has Princess backed off of using the medallion for this purposed. Although I guess, they could still "ping" you off and on the actual ship, but you will still need a name card to get back on the dock.

The Medallion apparently has a passenger's name on it, so that would take the place of the cruise card at dock security.

Pardon me for butting in...

More reasonable to assume 'concerns' refers to the system never being completed, no?

If you go back to where I made this statement, the post I was referencing was talking about being tracked on the ship. To the concern of being tracked, it is unwarranted. So please do not miss quote me.

Only a very limited number of crew can access the passenger location information and the captain is not one of them nor anyone on the Hotel Management side.

I never had any intention or want to discuss schedules..