Where is the Emerald Seas?

• 2 weeks later...

We too sailed many, many times aboard the Emerald Seas. One of the things we always found fasinating, was the fact that there were probably no two cabins alike. Once you found a really good, big one, you always tried to get the same one again, because you never knew what you'd get if you took "pot luck" on cabin assignment! Great memorys aboard the Seas, and also the old Flavia!

Happy sailing

Ken

• 2 months later...

I worked for Eastern Steamship Lines when they had the Emerald Seas. It is so tru about the cabins and I think I had one of every type and we were aboard many, many times.

She was a good product for her time and I personally miss the smaller ships!

• 1 month later...

Our first cruise, and second, was on the Emerald Seas. I loved that ship, maybe because it was our first. I had asked the same question a few years ago and someone posted all this history about her. It may have been before the boads switched over so you may not be able to do a search on it to find it, but I miss that ship, too.

You know it initially was a WWII trooper carrier!

• 3 weeks later...

First cruise for DH, SIL, BIL, and myself. We thought the ship was huge! LOL We partied hard, and got a taste of conch. What an adventure. Didn't know the cabins were different. We had one with four berths and a very large picture window, we thought it was the best.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Emerald Seas was our first cruise.It was one classy ship owned by a classy

cruise line.

We also were on the Azore Seas when Admiral Cruise line took it over what fond memories we have of those two cruise ships.Now it is megaliners and

thousands of passengers on a one week vacation I'm not altogether sure if bigger does make it better.But small ship big ship as long as it is a ship it's the way to travel and see a lot of this world without a lot packing and unpacking and thats for me.

emmylou

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise was on Emerald Seas! We were celebrating a special anniversary. In Coco Cay, the weather became so bad the tenders had to come in early- and we were pretty scared coming back to the ship. What was so fascinating was the staff were the entertainers for the cruise. The CD was Kirk Detweiler, now with RCCL ( although his bio doesn't mention that) We thought we had found the best way to take a vacation and continue to cruise as often as possible!

OneFunnyGirl,

This was the most interesting piece of information I have read on the Emerald Seas. It's really funny, because the Emerald was the third cruise I sailed on. I sailed on many of her cruises and then switched to Celebrity. This line was also owned by Chandris, thus the huge X on the stacks. Celebrity was sold to Royal Caribbean, as was the Emerald Seas. Funny how things go around. Thanks so much for the info.

Katie

Our first cruise was on Emerald Seas! We were celebrating a special anniversary. In Coco Cay, the weather became so bad the tenders had to come in early- and we were pretty scared coming back to the ship. What was so fascinating was the staff were the entertainers for the cruise. The CD was Kirk Detweiler, now with RCCL ( although his bio doesn't mention that) We thought we had found the best way to take a vacation and continue to cruise as often as possible!

Kirk was on AOS last year and I knew I remembered him from somewhere!

• 1 month later...

I am sad to hear that she is gone. My family sailed her 13 times in the early-mid 80's. Many of the staff knew us by name, and the ship was like a giant clubhouse to a pre-teen boy. I have sailed many of former NCL ships as well and they seem to have much more sense of 'adventure' than the newer era ships.

• 2 weeks later...

Emerald Seas was our first cruise and we were hooked!!! It was our first time away from the kids and we had such a good time!! The TA convinced us to try cruising and it was great!! We had paid $250pp for ROH and had a great room. The floor though did warp downward and we did have a port hole!!!!We are now hopelessly addicted to cruising and will be sailing on our 8th cruise in April.

Barbara

I sailed on her in the early 1990s. Several of us traveling together got the least expensive inside cabins, thinking they would be tiny. Were we surprised when they were huge---looked like they could hold 4 twin beds, but had only 2, and the bathrooms had tubs! We had a blast on the private island which was not developed or built up at all.

I worked for Eastern Steamship Lines when they had the Emerald Seas. It is so tru about the cabins and I think I had one of every type and we were aboard many, many times.

She was a good product for her time and I personally miss the smaller ships!

Hi caviergal. I also worked on the Emerald Seas from 1974 -1977 in the slot machines. Is there any chance that you were signed on at the same time?

• 1 year later...

First cruise, from Miami to Nassau, to Little Stirrup Cay! i was maybe 8 at teh time. I remember my little captain's hat! oh what fun. We paid $90 per child (three of us) and $300 for each adult! 2 rooms total!

Fun!

What was the car carrier cruise ship that Admiral of the Seas had also- we were on a 7 day itenary with them out of LA.

• 5 months later...

My first (and only) cruise was our senior trip in high school, 1984. I remember the color of the water more than anything. And the hamburger I had on Little Stirrup Cay. It was ketchup packet, mustard packet, and relish packet....with burger and bun...and a slice of tomato. Still remember it as the best hamburger I've ever had!!!

I found this post on google, while I was trying to find some info to show hubby my first time.

• 5 weeks later...

Ocianic64 Quote: " I also worked on the Emerald Seas from 1974 -1977 in the slot machines. Is there any chance that you were signed on at the same time?"

Hi,

What is your name? Did you work for Eddie who was the Slots manager?

I remember he & his wife both worked on the Emerald Seas and lived in Vegas. I recall he & his wife had bought a bunch of "Bally" stock fairly cheap and hopefully made a fortune!

By the way, I was the English DJ Paul Nice and worked in the Disco Bar from November 1977 till March 1978 when I was replaced by what I understood to be The cruise liners owner's son, who wanted to be a DJ, not what you know eh?!

I went on to work on the TSS Fairwind did you get to work on any other ships?