Whats your "must buy" item from the Bahamas?

Kajunswty

Unless you see someone weaving the straw basket or handcarving something, I wouldn't buy it because it is most likely made in China and relabelled BAHAMAS,

They do have some beautiful Christmas ornaments in the Tourism Building made out of Conch shells...

Check out the Plait Lady in either Nassau or Freeport - they have the authentic Bahamian woven straw works. She weaves the straw so tight that it is water tight.

I bought a smallish basket last time but I will be picking up a water pitcher and maybe something else this December.

Unless you see someone weaving the straw basket or handcarving something, I wouldn't buy it because it is most likely made in China and relabelled BAHAMAS,

lol...funny but true!

i saw a post about a grocery store in either nassau or freeport (guessing nassau) that has bahamian pineapple & pina colada jam, sounds interesting. idk about pina colada jam but pineapple sounds yummy

Edited by Kajunswty

I didn't think you could bring shells back to the states with you? If I understand it correctly you can't bring back flowers and fruit. What are the other items?

Seashells are generally OK:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1226/~/seashells,-sand,-pebbles,-driftwood-for-personal-use

Seashells are generally allowed into the U.S. if they are not taken from endangered or threatened species (CITES protected), and they are completely sanitized from the creatures that inhabited them, and any other agricultural material such as sand, clay, soil, etc. A traveler may bring in a reasonable amount of seashells for personal use as a memento of their trip. Large quantities of seashells being brought into the U.S. for the purposes of using them in crafting, landscaping, or for commercial use are prohibited.

Seashells are generally OK:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1226/~/seashells,-sand,-pebbles,-driftwood-for-personal-use

Seashells are generally allowed into the U.S. if they are not taken from endangered or threatened species (CITES protected), and they are completely sanitized from the creatures that inhabited them, and any other agricultural material such as sand, clay, soil, etc. A traveler may bring in a reasonable amount of seashells for personal use as a memento of their trip. Large quantities of seashells being brought into the U.S. for the purposes of using them in crafting, landscaping, or for commercial use are prohibited.

Thank you so much for this info. I am looking forward to buying some shells while we are in the Bahamas.

I buy Hard Rock and Senor Frogs Golf Shirts with pockets and shot glasses. Anything else in sight that strikes me right.

ditto..we collect hard rock magnets and beer glasses. i think i'll start a senor frogs shirt collection as well. my husband bought a tshirt last trip that says, does this shirt make me look druink? ;):cool: that'll be my first shirt if they still have it next week :D i also have quite the collection of koozies from alot of the bars we've visited on cruises (those that have them anyways)

Does anyone know if you are allowed to take shells that you find on the beach?

I understand that shells need to be "critter-free" and clean before they can be brought back, but I wasn't sure if it is even allowed, or just frowned upon to take them from the beach?

i can tell you from experience...on our July conquest cruise i found a beautiful sea shell and was able to bring it onboard no problem. however, about 2 days later it smelled AWFUL in our cabin. so bad that I thought a sewage line had broken or something. you guess right, it was the shell! if you are thinking of picking up shells to take home i'd fill a small travel sized container of bleach or something similar to clean them.

i don't know if it was "allowed" or not...i hardly ever ask permission as forgiveness is sometimes easier to get :rolleyes:

i don't know if it was "allowed" or not...i hardly ever ask permission as forgiveness is sometimes easier to get :rolleyes:

Hahaha, agreed. ;)

I've heard people say they took several from the beach without anyone batting an eyelash, and I've heard people say they got 'yelled at' for it. I guess it all depends on where you're at!

I definitely don't want one reeking up our cabin though! Yuck! :eek:

Inside the cruise terminal is a smal gift shop selling notecards,art and calendars. The calendars are hand painted water colors and give the weather and recipes and island scenes as the year changes. I have collected them for years. They are made by a special family who call themselves the calendar family and live on Long Island, Bahamas. They are beautiful. I usually buy several for family members. If I miss a trip I order them from thecalendarfamily.com .

Inside the cruise terminal is a smal gift shop selling notecards,art and calendars. The calendars are hand painted water colors and give the weather and recipes and island scenes as the year changes. I have collected them for years. They are made by a special family who call themselves the calendar family and live on Long Island, Bahamas. They are beautiful. I usually buy several for family members. If I miss a trip I order them from thecalendarfamily.com .

I just checked out the website - those are fantastic! I'm definitely going to try to remember to find them when I get there. That would make a good Christmas present for mom. :)

Does anyone know if you are allowed to take shells that you find on the beach?

I understand that shells need to be "critter-free" and clean before they can be brought back, but I wasn't sure if it is even allowed, or just frowned upon to take them from the beach?

I always bring back the small generic sea shells that I find on the beach. Have done so on all my cruises. However, anything that could have something in it I leave behind. You can purchase conch shells etc in the shops. I got a huge one that is absolutely gorgeous for $10.

I just checked out the website - those are fantastic! I'm definitely going to try to remember to find them when I get there. That would make a good Christmas present for mom. :)

Ditto, but for my grandma! So glad I checked in here before getting on the ship!

This has been great info. I always have a list of things to do to get ready for our cruise which isn't till June, and this info has been added to my list. Now I added a new catagory to my list because of this post. I now have a what to buy while in the Bahamas. Great ideas. Hope this is added to, maybe not I may need to take an empty suitcase just for souviners. lol

This might be the same place in the terminal that I got a beautiful handpainted Christmas ornament. It's a painting on a small (approx 2"x4") canvas. I don't remember how much I paid, but it was inexpensive and so much nicer than something that's mass produced.