Any Eczema sufferers cruised or cruising..!?

etokay

Less than in two months we are going to a cruise on oasis of the seas and we still fight my hand eczema. It is under control now , it is flees up sometimes. I am on strict limited diet and when I get to the ship I don't think I will stick to it. My eczema comes in winter and usually goes away in spring but this year we can't shake it off. Are there any eczema sufferers who done cruising or keep cruising with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They is no reason to let any medical condition hold you back. If we did that most of us would never travel. I've always had skin issues, fibromyalgia and now cancer is in the mix. It's not a reason to stay at home.

Is there something specific you're looking for advice on about it? It sounds like you already have a doctor and know what you're supposed to be doing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

Daughter suffers with it, has done a few cruises.

A lot depends on what your triggers are.

On her only longer cruise she took her own sheet, because earlier the detergents caused a flare up.

I often find my eczema does a magical disappearing act as soon as it gets hit with tropical air and sunshine. As long as I use my own soap and hair products, I typically don't have any issues.

Daughter suffers with it, has done a few cruises.

A lot depends on what your triggers are.

On her only longer cruise she took her own sheet, because earlier the detergents caused a flare up.

Adding on....

Take a colored or patterned sheet. Don't want them getting mixed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone for your answers. The cause of my eczema is unknown. Some certain foods make it worse. And we don't have a doctor, we do it ourselves. No need to waste money and time. They prescribe steroids creme and we don't want them. We shook off last year we should be able to do it again.

I just was curious how eczema sufferers were dealing with it on the ship.

Adding on....

Take a colored or patterned sheet. Don't want them getting mixed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What detergent are u using now? Maybe I should try to change detergent.

Dry skin doesn't seem to be at it's worst in the summer...especially, when it's humid, like at sea! Salt air seems to help my eczema ....it might help yours, too! I'm sure you know that detergents probably are NOT the culprit in this itchy affliction.....the dry air of winter/heat really makes me miserable.

Take your lotions and potions...and enjoy! I bet you don't have much trouble!

Edited by cb at sea

I don't know anything about hand eczema; mine's on my face, which I think is more typical.

The key for me is to use my medicated lotion every single day (and moisturizer too). If I "keep up with it", all is well. If I miss a day, I need days to "catch up". Diet isn't really an issue for me, nor is sunshine.

No, cruise ships or beach weather don't seem to affect my eczema. My derm has me using VaniCream products, and I do buy their sunscreen for my face. I use the cheaper drugstore stuff for the rest of my body.

I've suffered for years and it seems the weather is a big factor. Cold, dry air seems to set it off. But, as a doctor once told me it's one of the hardest things to get rid of but one of the easiest things to treat. I find just over the counter cortisone to work just fine. (Prescription is better but more of a hassle.) If you are going some place warm and humid you might just find that you won't have an issue.

My husband has severe psoriasis that almost disappears when he has been in the ocean for a few days in a tropical climate.

I'm not sure why we live in the desert.

Guys thanks for your all replies! We live in Florida and I still have eczema in the summer. We have low humidity in the office and home, 35-45% during summer and it is very low for me I know that for sure. So hopefully when fall will come and we don't need to use so much air conditioner it might get better. But seriously to have eczema in the summer it is awful when you live in Florida where enough of humidity but you spend all time in air conditioned box. Hopefully I will be outside much more on the ship.

A bit off topic, but here it is anyway. I get a lot of dandruff at home and finally have found something that works. We already used allergen-free detergent, softeners, shampoos and conditioners, but realized another item that contacts the skin on a regular basis was shower water.

So now we installed two shower head filters (you can get a combined one, but we started with one and added a second). The first filter is a standard particulate filter for normal grit and minerals found in most city water supplies. The second filter made the difference, it is a filter filled with Vitamin C. The Vitamin C is the only affordable medium to filter out chlorine and chloramines in the water supply. The result is a soft water and my dandruff disappeared. Google shower head filters with Vitamin C and try it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey.

I have suffered with eczema since a little girl and have always struggled on holidays. I find cruising absolutely fine and have had no significant problems.

Bring your own toiletries and plenty of eczema cream. Put some in a smaller bottle for after the pool. The pools are salt water on quite a few cruises lines. I find salt water easier on my skin. Jacuzzis sometime have chlorine in, so make use of showers after use.

Also if your daughter has food allergies or in tolerances let the staff know and they will be able to cater for her.

I didn't have a problem with bedding. But it might be worth calling special guest services and discussing individual needs to them.

If you need any other advice just let me know. I might be able to help.

Both my kids have eczema and its not really a non issue. We have found the sunscreen that works best for them. Everyone is different but they like Kinesys and Sun Bum. We bring plenty along.

We bring own shampoo, and body wash and lotion. We all use Tatcha indigo lotion and it works wonders cost a fortune but works like a dream. You could always buy a "travel size" to try it out.

I do know some people who have very sensitive skin buy silk sleeping bags to sleep in but we have never used them.

If you use a dietary control you can talk to the waiter and find items that will work within your limits.

• 1 year later...

I too had problem with eczema two days into a 7 day cruise from NJ to Bahamas, it cleared up 3 days after returned home.

I had a severe case of eczema last year for 4 months, it finally completely cleared in Feb this year. I saw dermatologists and allergist multiple times last year for the condition. I had to take Prednisone multiple times as Clobatsol alone would not work. I had blood tests and allergy tests but none showed possible cause. I also stopped eating all shellfish and change my diet during that period, but none helped.

I think I might had been allergic to hand sanitizer, bath soap or food preservatives while on board.

Thanks everyone for your answers. The cause of my eczema is unknown. Some certain foods make it worse. And we don't have a doctor, we do it ourselves. No need to waste money and time. They prescribe steroids creme and we don't want them. We shook off last year we should be able to do it again.

I just was curious how eczema sufferers were dealing with it on the ship.

I have eczema also. Mind flairs when it wants to lol. May want to ask your dr before you go to give you a prescription for some steroid that will clear it up and if it starts at all start taking it.

I use to have pretty bad eczema on my hands until I starting using the soap my parents used, Dr. Bronner's unscented castile soap. I buy the big bottles to get the best price, then dilute it 1:4 in my foaming hand soap dispenser. Almost no eczema! I take my own container of Dr. Bronner's to my office as my employer uses that highly-scented anti-bacterial soap that always made me feel I would someday grow a third eye.

I now use unscented, dye-free, organic, no paraben, no GMO, etc., body care products and household cleaners. I am pleased with how less dry, red and flaky my hands are now. My husband used to sometimes have eczema on his eyelids but since we've gone to a greener lifestyle, he has not had it in several years.

My wife suffers from an eczema like condition, but she finds it does better on vacations since we're in the sun so much. The only trouble is hers is caused by dairy, so we have to be extra careful about our meals. Good news is on a cruise they can do a good job of controlling that.