Vaccines required for Ultimate Caribbean Cruise

Idared

We are due to take a cruise on the Equinox starting March 3, 2017 to the following places:

St Thomas, Virgin Is.

St Kitts

Barbados

St Maarten

Does anyone know if there are any special vaccines required before one can get off the ship in any of these ports of call?

Most of our cruise experience has been to Alaska and Hawaii so this is something new to us to think about.

Many thanks for any info given.

We are due to take a cruise on the Equinox starting March 3, 2017 to the following places:

St Thomas, Virgin Is.

St Kitts

Barbados

St Maarten

Does anyone know if there are any special vaccines required before one can get off the ship in any of these ports of call?

Most of our cruise experience has been to Alaska and Hawaii so this is something new to us to think about.

As others have stated none are required. I recommend the Hepatitis A vaccine because most Caribbean Islands dump their sewage into the ocean without treatment. They can't afford treatment plants. There is also the possibility of contaminated food. These are not first world destinations.

This is an important issue. It depends upon your own health situaton, age, and where you are traveling. You should NOT get this information from a anonymous online forum. I wouldn't even take anyone's opinion on the ships' food that seriously!

Go direct to the CDC site regarding travel. They will step you through what you need to know based on your unique circumstances. Note that if you do need any vaccines, they need to be administered well before travel so that you can develop the needed anti-bodies.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/vaccines-travel/

Edited by Fish Lover

We just got a travel report from our local health unit. Our itinerary is very similar to yours. There was nothing special that came up just the regulars. Hep A & B, etc.

I highly recommend asking at your local health unit for information tailored to you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends on your age but you definitely need your flu and pneumonia shots. My doctor recommended a Hep B because I cruise every 5 to 6 weeks and never know what I might come in contact (people, animals, food, insects, etc.) with in any foreign country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I'm doing a Caribbean cruise July 1st... I understand that there are recommended vaccinations, but my doctor said he usually doesn't recommend vaccinations for cruisers, other than what we get normally, because cruise destinations are so brief. O can't find anywhere that states that any are REQUIRED. That's my question...because I don't want to get to the cruise terminal and find out I can't board because I'm missing one that's required. Do people routinely get a copy of their immunization records to have on hand for Caribbean cruises?!

St Thomas, Virgin Is.

St Kitts

Barbados

St Maarten

I'm doing a Caribbean cruise July 1st... I understand that there are recommended vaccinations, but my doctor said he usually doesn't recommend vaccinations for cruisers, other than what we get normally, because cruise destinations are so brief. O can't find anywhere that states that any are REQUIRED. That's my question...because I don't want to get to the cruise terminal and find out I can't board because I'm missing one that's required. Do people routinely get a copy of their immunization records to have on hand for Caribbean cruises?!

CDC.GOV can supply all the information you need about vaccines.

I don't know anyone who has ever carried or been asked to show a record of their vaccinations for a cruise to the Caribbean. None of the ports you visit REQUIRE you to have any vaccinations/shots/etc.

As many/everyone has said, consult your doctor and your health authority to see what they recommend.

As for Myself, I travel worldwide and just stay up to date....tetanus, polio, pneumonia, shingles, whooping cough, annual flu shot...and I would get the yellow fever shot if travelling in that band of countries. AFAIK, there is no malaria in any of the caribbean islands. No vaccine against Zitka...just be careful.

There are no vaccinations that are REQUIRED by the cruiselines or by Immigration of any of the countries on Caribbean cruises.

AFAIK, the only vaccination that is legally required at all is the Yellow Fever vaccine, but that is for a very limited number of situations, none of which are on Caribbean cruises.

St Thomas, Virgin Is.

St Kitts

Barbados

St Maarten

Zika, and Hep C?

Enjoy your cruise.