Has anyone flew on Allegiant before?

Desinico

My family has been flying them for years. They are fine, but will nickel and dime you. One other thing, I think their baggage weight is 40lbs not 50lbs which is standard.

I live in Vegas and my stepsons live is Bismarck. Even though they nickel and dime you, they still are significantly cheaper than the other airlines that provide service between our cities.

When I fly them, I am careful to deny paying to select a seat, to board early, etc. they also charge if you take a roller board in the cabin too. Their baggage fees also cost more at the airport than at time of booking.

Don't worry, they'll get you to your destination safely. So far the landings match the takeoffs. One other thing, they're upgrading their planes.

Bottom line, I wouldn't hesitate to fly them. However I'd prefer SWA but they don't service Bismarck.

Bob :cool:

Fees, fees, and more fees.

Agree. I have to fly them only airline going into Mesa Az from Grand Rapids MI and it is a direct flight. 40# bag limit, plus a carry on bag charge except for small personal one that has to fit under seat. Charge for reserved seats that use to be $16 for exit row now $29. Seats on new planes don't recline, worst issue for me & my bad back. $5 if u use a charge card to purchase ticket or anything & they don't take cash. But at $69-$159 and I never bring luggage leaving equal set clothes in AZ & MI where live works out for me...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Flew Allegiant a couple times to visit family in WNY when they had nonstop flights between FLL and IAG (now discontinued). But no way would I fly them when timeliness is required as in having a ship to catch. Not only will they not put you on another airline if your flight is cancelled (a fact common to all non-legacy carriers) but they will ONLY rebook you on the EXACT same route, however many days later it is. Say you had a nonstop from city X to your cruise they will under no circumstances put you on an indirect X via Y to your cruise even if available and the only way to get to your cruise on time--making them one notch below even Spirit.

Their 40 pound checked bag weight limit is also a dealbreaker for anything other than a short trip. And on one flight we had prepaid for seat assignments to keep 3 of us together--and were asked to volunteer to be split up (moved closer to front but no refund of seat fees) because they had a group of 9 who hadn't pre-selected their seats. Yeah I told them what to do with that "offer".

I've flown with them. Yes, there's a lot of fees but if you have booked your flight then you probably have already paid them. For us, even with the fees, the tickets were half the price of delta so can't complain.

I hope you are flying in at least the day before. Our flight went perfectly fine and on time but I've heard of them having massive delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Flew Allegiant a couple times to visit family in WNY when they had nonstop flights between FLL and IAG (now discontinued). But no way would I fly them when timeliness is required as in having a ship to catch. Not only will they not put you on another airline if your flight is cancelled (a fact common to all non-legacy carriers) but they will ONLY rebook you on the EXACT same route, however many days later it is. Say you had a nonstop from city X to your cruise they will under no circumstances put you on an indirect X via Y to your cruise even if available and the only way to get to your cruise on time--making them one notch below even Spirit. .

This has prevented me from flying Allegiant. Frankly, Souhwest has the same policy of not rebooking on other airlines so I will typically only fly them home from a cruise.

I found a pretty good flight on them but I've never flew with them and I'm a little apprehensive. Every time I see them it's on the news and something has went on. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Flew with them between Idaho Falls and Las Vegas. Plane came in late due to a medical emergency when they left Vegas and everyone had to hurry to get on or they would not have been allowed to leave because of their shift hours. We made it. Plane was a little on the older side and it was clean. I read stories about unfriendly crew, but they were very friendly and smiling. I even didn't have to pay for coke. I would fly with them ahain, but only if I amnot in a hurry to get somewhere. Price was great.

Cindy

I found a pretty good flight on them but I've never flew with them and I'm a little apprehensive. Every time I see them it's on the news and something has went on. Any thoughts?

I don't like the fact that they don't have many flights from our airport. In other words, if they have an equipment problem and cancel a flight, it might be 3-4 days before they have another flight. I won't use them for a cruise.

I haven't flown with them and you couldn't pay me to fly with them. I don't believe they are safe. My parents used them once and I tried to warn them not to. They hated it. Their flights were delayed and by the time they paid all the fees, it wasn't any cheaper than Southwest. But at least they made it alive! Seriously, that airline scares me.

We've flown them a few times to Florida for a quick weekend getaway (not for a cruise) and all has been fine. About their only advantage is low cost...as in about $225 round trip for 2 people with 1 checked bag. Seats were not very comfortable (and don't recline) but were OK for a couple of hours. Other than sharing a single checked bag, we didn't pay for any of the other nickel and dime fees. Be sure to either print hard copy boarding passes at home or use their app (and take a screen shot of the boarding pass in case you don't have internet access for some reason) as they will even charge $5 to print a boarding pass. We ended up with seats together, but there's no guarantee of that unless you pay for a reserved seat. Net, you get what you pay for. Cheap transportation from point A to point B, or at least a little known airport near point B as they don't always fly into the main airport for a city. As others have said, I'd be very worried about their rescheduling policy if I were to use them for a cruise.

At ABE and some other airports I noticed they cancel a lot of flights. For the price difference and the risk of missing your cruise, I would suggest other airlines. I had high status on Delta and other main carriers and other than weather, I don't recall cancelled flights with them. I found I also enjoyed Jet Blue and Southwest. I would avoid Allegiant. They are the Low end type of operation.

Edited by FireStation46

Our home town airport has two different daily flights to Florida daily. One to Sanford and one to Siesta (I think)???.

We live walking distance to the airport (not that I would ever walk with luggage, just saying).

My husband is like Norm from the old Cheers show (Knows alot about many things)

We have an airport scanner and have the access frequencys to our Vienna airport for Allegient and other channels.

For the month of January the airlines have cancelled over 19 flights to and from Florida.

Some for weather, understandably, but others for mechanical reasons:eek:

Once it was for 4 days in a row.

Now mind you the trouble they have and the old planes, we would not chance flying from here.

Especially if you were at a small airport and could not jump on another plane.

Also, rarely do they re-imburse for hardship, they just say come back tomorrow.

Our local paper has been all over it, and that is how we find out the story.

We pack our bags and drive to Cleveland.

Stick with reliable airlines.

You really do not save money.

Just saying

Like said above, stick with the regular airlines. If you were to have problems with the plane, they can't just rebook you and put you on the next flight. It could take days to get another flight. Or they just give you a refund and $ amount toward booking another airline last minute. Took a grand bath last time I booked.

I flew them once and never again . After you add in all the fees they are not really cheaper . The plane was old .They were three hours late leaving .The people who work for them are not professional at all. You can not check in until exactly one hour pre flight . Plus they have a terrible safety record .

I have traveled on Allegiant and never will again. I have had my flights cancelled at the last minute. I have also had my flight delayed for several hours, then delayed again. I was supposed to arrive early afternoon in Sanford FL, but ended up arriving late at night. I will never fly them again as it's not worth it to me to have to worry if I am getting where I am supposed to be on time.

There's a reason they are so cheap to start with. No way on this earth would I ever fly in the day of a cruise as I don't know that I would actually make the cruise. Additionally, when they cancelled our flight, there was no back up flight later that day as they only fly 1 plane to/from and they don't fly every day. They also only fly to smaller airports, ie, Sanford for Pt Canaveral as opposed to Orlando International Airport.

flown on them once, never again. From Orlando Sanford to Knoxville and back. About a month before the flight they changed the departure date. They only fly to Knoxville two or three times a week and what was a Wednesday fight now became a Thursday fight....although they let us move it to the earlier Tuesday fight so we wouldn't lose vacation time in Tennessee. Then the return flight also was changed. They pushed back the flight by four hours without telling any of the passengers. So you had a planeload of people at the Knoxville airport at 7 in the morning and no Allegiant staff anywhere not even at the check-in desk, no one knew it was going on.... eventually, after the original flight was set to depart.... a few people in the crowd received emails at the flight had been moved to a later time that day!

Also, I was traveling with two others and all three tickets were purchased at the same time and yet, all three of us were seated in different parts of the plane! Never again.

Wow! Many here have had some problems with them it seems. I fly out of South Bend Indiana and go non-stop to either Clearwater/St. Petersburgh Florida (near Tampa) or Sanford (near Orlando) for my cruises and family visits. Taken them dozens of times. I pay for my seat ($13 I believe). That's all I pay extra for! One 40lb or less bag and my backpack FULL is free. Plenty for me for up to 2 weeks gone. Had a 2 hour delay ONCE. I consider them the "subway ride in the skies" but for 2 hour flights I have no problem with it. I get on, crank up the iPad with a movie and by the time it's finishing, we are landing. Never had a problem with them.

Fees, fees, and more fees.
Agreed... pay attention to this link....

https://www.allegiantair.com/popup/optional-services-fees

If you want to sit with friends, use a credit card, have carry-on, have 50lb luggage. I should add there's surcharge if you under estimate your luggage at booking and show up with more at the airport. The Allegiant check-in counters can get vocal with fliers blind sided by those extra fees when not reading the above link.

A comment about Trip Flex.... I have a very tight schedule on my flight, so I wanted insurance. When substituted my flight for a smaller plane (mechanical issues), I got on the next flight.... those that did not have the travel insurance had to wait additional hours before allowed to board. Not how I wanted to use Trip Flex, but on that day... it was great to be on the next flight.

So add up all the "optional service" that is important to you.... are you really saving?

For safety record reasons...NO..I would not. You can google articles from late last year.

This! ^

Statistically they have the most maintenance issues of any airline, cancelled flights, flight issues, etc.

All of their planes are the old planes from the ValuJet collapse. Think Florida Everglades.

AirTran bought ValuJet then Southwest bought AirTran. But not those old planes.

Run away!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk