Cruising with a registered Guide Dog

Presto2

We have friends who are considering taking a cruise. One of them has a beautiful registered Guide Dog from the RNIB due to them being partly sighted and I am sure that I have read somewhere that Guide Dogs for the Blind are accepted on cruise ships.

Our friends are really interested in taking a cruise from Southampton and I was wondering if anyone on here has had an experience taking a guide dog with them, or know a friend who has.

Many thanks

I know a couple who went on the world cruise without any problems. They asked for a gentle reminder to be added to the daily program to remind fellow passengers that it's not a pet as some people forgot but I don't think it was a major problem.

• 1 month later...

Hello Pesto2

Here is a link to a thread in cruise critic

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585728

Which has got everything you could possibly need to know about cruising with a guide dog/service dog.

Rodger55 - please come over and join our lovely doggy family - we are a mixed bunch, some of us have guide dogs/service dogs, some of us puppy walk but we all have two things in common - we love our dogs and cruising! Lots of folk come on for advice about cruising with their service dogs and we could definitely use your help and advice as we are a bit light on the UK side of things! (I'm a puppy walker for Guide Dogs in the UK.)

Roz started this thread years ago when she first cruised with her first dog Brenda and now is teamed with Horton.

You'll be made very welcome! :D

Rodger55

Just click on the link I posted for Pesto2 and that will take you over to the right page - it's a very, very, very long thread! Started in 2007 when Roz started cruising with Brenda. (Brenda sadly is in doggy heaven but Roz now has Horton, her amazing dog partner.)

I'll watch out for you over there!

Hello Pesto2

Here is a link to a thread in cruise critic

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585728

Which has got everything you could possibly need to know about cruising with a guide dog/service dog.

Rodger55 - please come over and join our lovely doggy family - we are a mixed bunch, some of us have guide dogs/service dogs, some of us puppy walk but we all have two things in common - we love our dogs and cruising! Lots of folk come on for advice about cruising with their service dogs and we could definitely use your help and advice as we are a bit light on the UK side of things! (I'm a puppy walker for Guide Dogs in the UK.)

Roz started this thread years ago when she first cruised with her first dog Brenda and now is teamed with Horton.

You'll be made very welcome! :D

Many thanks, I'll pass this on to my friend and his furry companion :-)

PS Love the past photos of the doggy with a birthday ---- sooooo beautiful.

• 10 months later...

This thread is very helpful ... thank you for posting information.

We are travelling from Canada with our family of 10 for a special occasion in March on Royal Caribbean accompanied by our grandson's guide dog; the service Gilbert provides is support for autism. I have spoken with the Special Needs desk at the cruiseline requesting information about offboarding at various ports. I was advised to contact each embassy at our stops to get their requirements in addition to providing the requisite vaccination, rabies, health certificate, authentication (from Guide Dogs of Canada). Can someone confirm that this is correct ... that we require a document from each Embassy at the ports where we will be stopping (St. Thomas, Bahamas, St. Maarten). Any information would be greatly appreciated.