Dinner times and internet

Dcoreykids

There is no set time for dinner on Seabourn ships. You just show up and are shown to your table. This is one of the best things about Seabourn that your dining time and table size are completely up to you. The only place that would have a specific time is the specialty restaurant called The Grill which requires a reservation. I don't remember the formal dining hours of the MDR, Patio Grill, or Colonnade but we've never had a problem getting a table anywhere between 6-8 pm. We've even been to the MDR just after 9 pm and they were happy to seat and serve us dinner.

As for internet, there is purchasable wifi that is available across the ship. Signal strength may vary with the strongest being around Seabourn Square at the rear of the ship. Also, do not expect very fast internet service no matter where you are on the ship.

Dinner is served in the dining room and the Colonnade (the more casual restaurant, but waiter served in the evenings) between 7 and 9 - go when you like, and you should be able to get a table for 2 (if you go fairly early) or four, six or eight, nice if you meet people before dinner, or you can ask to go as a couple to a shared table. No booking for the dining room; they do ask you to book for the Colonnade but this is not usually necessary. You do have to book in advance for the Grill, and may only get once chance to visit as on Quest it is small.

1. Dinner:

Dinner did not start in any venue until 7 PM when we were on the Quest in April-May of this year, ran through 9. If you show up at 6:55 or 9:05 they will not let you in, they are very precise about the hours. You can make a reservation at the TK restaurant or on the Patio for any of those times. For the MDR, you just appear, and they will offer you to either dine alone, or ask if you would like to join other gregarious souls (the latter is easier earlier in the evening)

DH and I tended to go to the MDR between 8:30 and 8:45 and almost always got a table for two in a nice spot. The early two-top diners had mostly cleared out by then, making the tables available. This was not ideal if we wanted to go to the show at 9:30, however.

2. Internet: We were not happy with paying $300 for unlimited internet.

We were in cabin 625 on a Barcelona to Dover cruise and most of the cruise had no access to internet out of our cabin. People in 645 had great internet that cruise. We asked to have this addressed several times, and to talk to the IT guy (DH is an engineer), but were mostly ignored, and gave up.

So, it varies. I would usually go sit at SB Square to do my internet work and play, or, when in port, as we had cellular on our devices, DH would set up a "hot spot" off the cellular in our cabin so we could also run our computers, and that was faster than the ship's wifi. DH usually has to be able to connect to work when we travel for a couple hours a day, so that was a lifesaver. He would never be able to do a transatlantic on this ship where he would have to rely on ship internet.

Yes - but if you like a table for 2 either turn up very soon after 7, or not until about 8.30 when we have finished! I personally would not like to go in for dinner just before 9, as the staff work pretty long hours anyway. Not a problem for us, we like eating fairly early. Quite often there will be 3 or 4 couples standing outside the dining room or the Colonnade at 6.55, so as to get a table in a perfect spot or with the wait staff they particularly like. But not at all necessary.

Of course, you can have your dinner from the menu served course by course in your suite, if you wish. Saves changing clothes for the evening!

To the OP, as you can see SB regulars have their preferences. We "go with the flow" of the evening, depending on who we may have met during cocktails, if we want to go to the show, or... Typically we don't enter the MDR before 8:20 or so but will always be seated. TK night in the Colonnade requires a reservation as does the Grill. The great takeaway is you have total flexibility and as lincslady wrote in suite dining is an option. For the Patio it is hard to say, sometimes very few people show up and other times you need to be there before 7:45 to get a seat.

• 10 months later...

Seabourn features Dr. Andrew Weil programs on ships; so most guests know his health recommendations and many follow recommendations both onboard and at home. Dr. Weil would recommend eating earlier and lighter and avoiding many of the food items served at the afternoon tea.

"In middle age, metabolism slows, and weight not only goes on faster, it comes off much less easily. This is a good time in life to leave behind the dietary excesses of youth" Andrew Weil pg. 194 Optimum Health book

While many of the fit and younger guests can enjoy foods at afternoon tea and eat later and never gain any weight; many of the middle age guests may want to eat early and use some of Dr. Weil's recommendations to keep healthy and not gain weight. And there may be some active and fit older guests who can enjoy foods at the afternoon tea and eat a late dinner and not gain any weight.

Even when entering the dining room at 7pm you may not receive your entrée until after 9 p.m. so will be eating until 10:00 p.m. which many people think is too late. That was common on my two week cruise.

For those Seabourn guests who want to follow the recommendations on health from Dr. Andrew Weil; it makes sense that early dining options would be available, so those guests who prefer to eat at 6:00 p.m. have a place to go to dinner.

This was posted almost a year ago.

The thread starter never came back.

I'm failing to see the point in bumping it now, especially with an exact replica of a post that's been made elsewhere.

And am I the only one who had never heard of Dr Andrew Weil until my most recent Seabourn cruise?

You're not him are you blaze? :') Do you have a new book out by any chance?;)

I still remember when I gave up listening to "experts" telling us what is proper food diet. December, 2007:

Eating bacon may stop heart attacks

So true with some experts. That's not to say I throw the baby out with the bath water but I do like to check different sources to validate claims.

I remember one darling elderly Aunt who gave up prawns because of the warning re cholesterol and it was one thing she missed. Well now they say you don't need to avoid prawns just because they contain cholesterol as they are fine. They now know there are various cholesterol and some is very good for you.

Julie

Never heard of the great Dr until I opened a Seabourn brochure.

If you are really that worried about eating and timings then you will eat well for breakfast and lunch and have very little for dinner.

Exercise is the important thing to do which is often overlooked by those that are trying to eat well and lose weight.

I gym every day whether I am on a ship or on land.

Sent from my iPad using Forums