Where did you buy your Recommended Antarctica Gear?

notjaded

We are now planning our purchases for our January Antarctica trip. We have reviewed the Seabourn recommended packing list, and also websites from Patagonia/Northface/Nordstrom. We are now leaning towards purchasing the package from Shiptoshoretraveler.com, which is Seabourn's partner.

Other than for their parkas and boots, has anyone used ShiptoShoreTraveler to supply their garment needs? If so, were you pleased with the service and products?

If you used another sole-source vender, with whom did you order?

Many thanks!

Where are you from ? If you are located somewhere that has a winter season you may not need any specific gear - just bring what you would wear normally in minus 10 to plus 5 celcius..

If you are not from somewhere that has a cool winter - then all you are needing is a couple of basic thermal layers, waterproof and windproof overpants (most basic camping stores sell them - if you are in the US I ordered mine from Cabelas, but there is also LL Bean and REI and similar places), and a wind and waterproof parka.

Ship To Shore is quite overpriced personally.

I definitely recommend looking at base layers someplace where you can try them on. You want something that fits well and is reasonably comfortable, since you'll be wearing them a lot. And from my experience, sizing varies a lot between brands (I wear a full size larger in my favorite base, because it's designed for more athletic figures).

For other gear, my favorite source is backcountry.com I order a lot of things from them and from MooseJaw.com because both offer free returns (so I don't have to worry if something doesn't fit right). I've also picked up quite a few things from REI (both locally and online). Over the years, I've picked up plenty of additional pieces from various online retailers, but those are definitely my favorites for price and selection.

Having looked briefly through the packages at shiptoshore, one huge concern that I would have is the unisex clothing options. I find most unisex shirts uncomfortable, and there is absolutely no way that a unisex bottom would fit me.

An additional note... One of the concerns I had for my first trip was what I really needed. I looked at the suggested gear list and at the gear package offered by the company I first traveled with, and I used their package options as a guideline. In hindsight, some of the things I bought were amazing, some of them were nice to have, and some of them barely saw the outside of my cabin.

Must-have (i.e. "amazing"):

• Wool base layers - This probably goes without saying, but a performance wool base layer will not only go miles to keep you warm, if you work up a sweat during an active landing, the moisture-wicking properties will help keep you from getting cold and clammy. I take at least two pairs, so that I can wash one between landings if I need to (or after it gets covered with sand at Deception Island).
  • Capacitive glove liners - For me, the most useful hand coverings are a thin pair of gloves to block the wind while still allowing me to push buttons on my camera. You can use any kind of glove or mitten for warmth, but having bare hands while shooting photos gets very cold very quickly. Since I also use my phone for panoramas, being able to use it without removing my gloves is a huge bonus (Different models put the capacitive fibers in different places, so I tested out a few pairs in an outdoor shop to see which ones worked best when I used my phone).
  • Wool expedition socks - I bought a few pairs of REI's wool expedition socks before my first trip, and they were delightful! My toes were never cold on landings, and they were great for layering up my feet on long zodiac cruises. Some of the staff had SmartWool expedition socks, so we compared them, and while they're both excellent, we agreed that REI's were cozier (and cheaper).
  • Buff / neck gaiter - This is so much easier to deal with than a traditional scarf. I have the Polar Buff, which is partly fleece and partly the thinner material. I love the versatility, and when it's particularly blustery, I can pull the thin part up over my head to form a close-fitting hood to go under my regular hat and cover all the little gaps.
  • Dry bags - Carrying my smartphone on shore, it's well worth the peace of mind to tuck into a small dry bag first. Likewise for other expensive and delicate gear like cameras. I haven't invested in a fully waterproof backpack, so I just picked up a few small dry bags to carry my at-risk items either in a pocket or a regular day pack. I use a lightweight 1L for my phone and/or point-and-shoot, and a larger one for the DSLR. On shore or during zodiac cruising, I can just clip the bag to the strap of my life vest or day pack for easy access and storage.
  • Lip balm, sun block, and moisturizer - The intensity of the sun and the dryness of the air are definitely worth planning for.

Nice to have:

• Waterproof mitts - A lot of gear packages emphasize having waterproof gloves, but I honestly don't find that I need waterproofing on my hands all of the time. However, I do find it worth having a water resistant layer for zodiac cruises. Getting sprayed unexpectedly and having to spend the next hour with damp gloves is not pleasant, so I like to have something I can slip on when things get splashy. A full-length waterproof mitt is fun, because you can reach in and fish out sea ice, but if you don't want to make that kind of investment, just having some kind of water resistance is probably fine.
  • Hand warmers - I rarely use them, but on the rare occasion that I've accidentally gotten my hands damp, it was nice to have them to tide me over!
  • Deck shoes / Crocs - Changing in and out of landing boots, it's often crowded, and the floor is damp. I have come to appreciate having footwear that I can easily slip on over my expedition socks when changing out of my boots (But if you don't have the packing space, this is certainly not an essential, and a pair of loosely-laced shoes also works).
  • Sock liners - Using an extremely thin (e.g. silk) sock liner, will prevent chafing and the ensuing blisters if you have problems with boot fit. This isn't a common problem, but since they take up practically zero luggage space, I like having the peace of mind. It's also an easy extra layer for building up foot warmth!

Underwhelming:

• Shoot-through camera dry bag - This seemed like a good idea, especially for zodiac trips, but it ended up being a nuisance, and I never used it. When I've carried my point-and-shoot, I just tucked it in a pocket of my parka when I wasn't using it, and with a DSLR, it was easier to just carry a regular dry-bag and slip it in and out as needed. Even after practicing a bit, I never got crystal clear photos shooting through "optical" plastic.
  • Lightweight base layer - Maybe it's because I'm one of those people who's cold all the time, but I have never had an occasion to use a lightweight base layer on a polar expedition. Even on a quick-pace uphill hike in Greenland, my wool layers were fine for moisture wicking and temperature regulating. However, my significant other is one of those people who's always hot (he's usually known as the guy wearing shorts out on deck), and he's also been fine with a wool base (though he rarely uses any additional insulation).

An additional note... One of the concerns I had for my first trip was what I really needed. I looked at the suggested gear list and at the gear package offered by the company I first traveled with, and I used their package options as a guideline. In hindsight, some of the things I bought were amazing, some of them were nice to have, and some of them barely saw the outside of my cabin.

Great advice. FYI, I posted my packing list from a Poseidon Expeditions, October-November 2017, trip to the Falklands and South Georgia on my travel blog. See below link.

Bob

Many thanks for your response. We decided to use a local Northface store in order to be able to try on everything and easily return as needed.

We also have gone to our Patagonia store, and ordered some socks from Amazon that were identical to the ones sold at much higher prices by the Seabourn outfitter.