Reunion Cruise 2019

Tahitianbigkahuna

Our first PG cruise was the Marquesas. Great cruise, but probably our least favorite itinerary of all. As much as we have adored the past two reunion cruises, this one will more than likely sail without us.

As we have been to FP so many times and 7 were by cruise ship we look for something new. We've done the 7 day Society cruise (2), the 10 day Atolls/Society cruise (1) and the 11 day Cooks/Society cruise (4). So it is a natural for us to consider the Marquesas plus we get some of the familiar (Society Islands), it's likely a good fit. We always say the best way to return to paradise is to experience something new as well has a return to the familiar that you fell in love with.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Our first PG cruise was the Marquesas. Great cruise, but probably our least favorite itinerary of all. As much as we have adored the past two reunion cruises, this one will more than likely sail without us.

And you met the most wonderful people on that cruise.......

This is also a no go for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure how this cruise is special except for a banner on the website stating reunion cruise. Same price and same itinerary as the other Marquesas cruises. Thus far we have not received anything in the mail or e-mail with any special offer.

Seems more like a marketing ploy calling it a reunion cruise vs. anything out of the ordinary.

Not sure how this cruise is special except for a banner on the website stating reunion cruise. Same price and same itinerary as the other Marquesas cruises. Thus far we have not received anything in the mail or e-mail with any special offer.

Seems more like a marketing ploy calling it a reunion cruise vs. anything out of the ordinary.

In all fairness this is early on for the complete package to be known, the PG website does state, "Enjoy a host of events exclusive to this voyage". I would guess over the coming months more details will be released ;)

This was our all-time favourite itinerary on the PG. The Marquesas are magical, and just oh-so remote! And we would do it again in a heart-beat. We of course were blessed with great weather (it was December, Regent's second-last PG cruise.) Husband David has already been dropping hints. And I'm sure there we will be lots of special stuff onboard for the reunioners.

That being said, it would not be my choice to return in April. The Societies are very hot and humid during that time (been there, done that), and if you look at the rainfall charts, it's the second or third rainiest month in the Marquesas. It's also over Easter I believe. The two-week itinerary probably obviates large numbers of children onboard, but it's something to consider.

Wendy, we met Twin on that cruise which made it very special:D. The Marquesas are distinctly different than the Societies. We loved the wildness and history, but prefer the water capabilities in the other islands. And as I stated before, we loved both reunion cruises.

We too loved both the reunion cruises ... was great to sail with old friends and new friends, gabelle, wendy, twin, vacay addict, cruise dreamer, carduchi etc.

But, not this time of year for us. If it was in January would have considered it. If it was in March I could have added it to a Crystal valparaiso to Papeete.

In any event I am booked to be in Europe at that time.

Next PG will be likely 2020 or 2021.

Cobby and I are booked on the August 14, 2019 cruise. It puts us in Bora Bora on the actual day of our 50th wedding anniversary. We couldn't say no to that. Linda :hearteyes:

And how could I have forgotten theDee in my list of new and old friends....

It will be great for you to be in BB on the exact date!

Wow! Can't get much better than that!

Very cool being in Bora Bora for their 50th ....

But it can get better .... When I asked my BH to marry me I said I would take her every year to FP and/or the Cook Islands. We've been married 18 years and we've gone to FP/ and/or the Cook Islands 18 times .... :)

We did this cruise and enjoyed it but yearn for a different itinerary (we have enjoyed all of their usual ones). I would hope that the Paul Gauguin Destination department would factor this in when planning their future cruises since they have so many loyal repeat passengers.

You've been everywhere, haven't you Carol? How about a Singapore drydock? Any in the foreseeable future?

Wont the new build be coming out in 2022? If that is the case drydock may be scrapped unless absolutely necessary ...it becomes a dollars and cents issue.

I wanted to have my 40 th anniversary wow renewal on the PG in 2021 But dont really know now.

We did this cruise and enjoyed it but yearn for a different itinerary (we have enjoyed all of their usual ones). I would hope that the Paul Gauguin Destination department would factor this in when planning their future cruises since they have so many loyal repeat passengers.

Carol, the problem is twofold. The PG cannot visit US ports like Samoa and bunkering ability is limited. This is why itineraries cannot be tweaked too much. Maybe a Fiji itinerary visiting several Fiji islands is possible. I asked for Valparaiso to Papeete but there is no bunkering available.

Our first cruise ever was the 14 night Marquesas trip on the Paul Gauguin in February 2017. We had stayed in an OWB at Sofitel Marara on Bora Bora for a week, and at the Beachcomber Park Royal (now the IC) Moorea for a week in March of 1995 and I had dreamed of going back ever since then. When we looked at doing one more trip, we thought the cruise would give us much more to see at about the same price. So we did the cruise and we loved it. The Marquesas are lightly populated, the people are very friendly and want to make their infrequent visitors feel welcome. We enjoyed the history of the islands, along with their music, crafts and stories about their daily life, their beautiful Catholic churches, and history of Paul Gauguin's life and death in French Polynesia. The tropical jungle, with it's towering trees, flowering plants, and bounty of naturally growing fruits and vegetables are something you don't see very many places anymore. On the way there, you have Fakarava where you want to spend the whole day enjoying the water. Then you have the sea day, the 4 Marquesas stops which are land based, but with spectacular views from the ship, and the rest of French Polynesia waiting for you in the second week.

We did the Cook Islands at the beginning of December, and enjoyed it, but the Cook Islands were very similar in geography to the Society Islands. The people that live there are totally different, but we didn't have as much chance to interact with them as we did in the Marquesas.

While we were onboard in December, we talked to a knowledgeable crew member about the last dry dock ,and the next dry dock. We found out exactly what was done last year. Don't always believe it when reviewers say the carpet was old and worn out since they were on the ship a month or 2 after that carpet was replaced. He also said that they've been told that the next dry dock is 2020. We had no complaints about anything on either of our cruises. We love the ambiance of the ship, the other cruisers we've met onboard, and most of all , the wonderful crew. We're taking the cruise to Fiji in September 2019 since we're looking for another itinerary. If 2020 really is another dry dock, we might go for one of those as well to see something new. If you haven't been to the Marquesas, the reunion cruise should be a great experience.

Wont the new build be coming out in 2022? If that is the case drydock may be scrapped unless absolutely necessary ...it becomes a dollars and cents issue.

I wanted to have my 40 th anniversary wow renewal on the PG in 2021 But dont really know now.

May I infer from that the new build would replace the PG? Too bad, but I guess inevitable.

When I was a little girl, there was a TV program on that I never missed. It was in black and white and called "Adventures in Paradise", starring Gardner McKay. He had a schooner named Tiki III and his home port was Papeete. The movie South Pacific came out about the same time and I was enchanted. ( Even though most of that was shot on some back lot in Hollywood...but I digress ). I always wanted to travel to the South Pacific, but living in New England, it seemed like a looooong way to go.

One day in 2001, I received a brochure from Renaissance Cruises highlighting my dream trip with an extra stay on Bora Bora. My husband came home from work and I told him that we were going on our "Trip of a Lifetime". Now after five more trips of a lifetime to FP, most on the PG, we are planning our 7th for our 50th Wedding Anniversary, ( August 14, 2019- The Tuamutos). It really does get in your blood and it does not get old. Linda:cool:

We have never done a reunion cruise. But we will be back on PG in July. Hopefully, we will meet some of the "regulars" one day. :)

I've only done one of the "reunion" cruises on the PG. The percentage of PG veterans compared to newbies was only slightly higher than for a regular cruise. There are many folks out there, like us, who have the Polynesian flu so badly that we are repeat offenders on the PG whether it is a 'reunion' cruise or not.

There are a few extra perqs the company rolled out for the reunion cruise I was on, but the non-reunion cruises have so much great stuff as standard there here too the differences are minor