Flying Sunday After Thanksgiving vs. Saturday After Thanksgiving

CHEZMARYLOU

Our cruise leaves on Monday, November 26. Starting to think about flights so I can give our cat care taker advanced warning.. Anyone with recent experience flying the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Would you recommend leaving on Saturday and spending 2 nights in Ft. Lauderdale? We might have an option to book a non stop flight early in the morning.

Everyone and their brothers along with their emotional support cats will be flying home on Sunday after a long Thanksgiving weekend with family.

Best day to fly would be Thursday, then Friday, followed by Saturday. Never on Sunday during a 4 day holiday.

I never, ever fly the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I always do, however, fly Saturday after Thanksgiving (well, usually two out of every three years) and it's much more relaxed - quieter, often cheaper, and just generally more pleasant. I generally do an evening flight and it works great.

Occasionally in the past, when I had time and airline status, I would deliberately book a Sunday after Thanksgiving flight. Armed with a subscription to Expert Flyer, I knew the possibilities for a bump (or a series of bumps) to accumulate a pile of Delta dollars. Those days are long gone, and now I would never book on that day. It's total chaos.

Thanks for the replies, it's pretty much what I was expecting but wanted to be sure. Since we cannot take our cats with us, even as support cats, we'll explain to them the problem of leaving on Sunday and fly out on Saturday. I'm sure they will adjust. Since this is a special birthday cruise for me the last thing I want to do is be stressed over flying on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday will 100% be cheaper and easier. Much less hectic. The Sunday after Thanksgiving is always one of the busiest days of the year for the American travel industry. You will, however, need an additional night in a hotel or AirBnb if you don't have other arrangements, so make a spreadsheet comparison and see if you'd actually save money.

Even if it does come out to be the same price or a little more, an additional day of vacation isn't a bad thing :)

• 1 month later...
I had a choice of flying the Tuesday or Wednesday before a Thursday departure...Tuesday won both with airfare & hotel prices. 2 nights guaranteed us rested for our cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would take the earliest direct flight available on Saturday and request an early check in at your hotel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the replies, it's pretty much what I was expecting but wanted to be sure. Since we cannot take our cats with us, even as support cats, we'll explain to them the problem of leaving on Sunday and fly out on Saturday. I'm sure they will adjust. Since this is a special birthday cruise for me the last thing I want to do is be stressed over flying on Sunday.

We have often flown the Sat or Sun after Thanksgiving since we always take a cruise right after Thanksgiving. Sunday is really a busy day with Saturday not nearly as bad. Since it is a busy holiday weekend we like to make our air reservations a bit earlier then is our usual practice. If you plan on looking at Southwest (are favorite airline when we head to Florida) you would ideally look very shortly after they post their fares for that time of year which I believe will be May 31 for flights through Jan 6.

Hank

Or if you fancy making some bank and don't have to be home that day Sunday after Thanksgiving is great! Lots of potential for overbooking...

Can't say I've done that myself, generally try to avoid the amateur hour that is flying on Thanksgiving weekend. The Sunday after New Year is bad enough, IME...

We're definitely flying on Saturday. Just waiting for Southwest flight schedule. We usually have a choice of them or Jet Blue for a non stop flight to Fll. Southwest is usually better returning home.

Be sure to let us know if waiting for Southwest was better than getting tickets from another carrier now. You know, the old bird in hand....

So far Jet Blue's prices have been holding steady, there are plenty of seats, and with only 14 days or so to go I'll wait to see what Southwest offers. Jet Blue does not have a return flight that will work for us.

I'll come back and let you know how that works.

• 2 weeks later...
Be sure to let us know if waiting for Southwest was better than getting tickets from another carrier now. You know, the old bird in hand....

Southwest did not work for us. Jet Blue's price was the same today as it was when I started looking. We booked with them and United for the return.