Hotels in Sydney

The Circular Quay area is a convenient area for sightseeing, but it’s probably also the priciest. Other good options are The Rocks, the CBD (downtown) and Darling Harbour.

I’ve stayed in hotels in all these areas and they all worked well for us.

staying 4 days pre-cruise in Sydney. Looking at the Cicular Quay area. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Is there a better area to stay in?

We want to do beach one day, blue mountains and tour of Sydney.

We just did a 5-night stay in Sydney post-cruise. We stayed in the Circular Quay area at the Marriott Sydney Harbour. Expensive, but very nice and a great location. You can get everywhere easily from there. Quick walk to the Rocks area, Opera House, Botanical Gardens, etc. The ferries are right there as is the train station. We went to Manly Beach one day on the ferry. We also did the Blue Mountains with Blue Diamond Tours and highly recommend them.

staying 4 days pre-cruise in Sydney. Looking at the Cicular Quay area. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Is there a better area to stay in?

We want to do beach one day, blue mountains and tour of Sydney.

A lot depends on your budget.

Ow about one of the servced appartments not at CQ.

More central to down town?

Kitchenette, laundry etc.

We stayed at both the Hyatt and Marriott in the Circular Quay area. They’re both four star hotels. See where you can get a better rate.Friends stayed at the Four Seasons and liked that too. I think they used Amex points. None of these hotels is inexpensive. The Hyatt allowed us to check-in early. We are members of their rewards program. That was worth a lot to us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would use Trip Advisor.

That is what we do in all places we visit.

This really comes down to your budget. We stayed at a wonderful hotel in February which I can easily recommend but not knowing how much you want to spend per night is the challenge.

We stayed closer to the Rocks which was only a 15 minute walk from Circular Bay.

Keith

Keep in mind that if you are on a budget that a hotel farther from Circular Quay is a good idea. Take a taxi to your target. You will save hundreds of dollars. One day we did the hoho bus, and the tour van for the Blue Mountains picked us up very near our Potts point hotel.

The Raddison in the City is also good. It’s in an interesting heritage building, two or three blocks from Circular Quay. It’s also near both Wynyard and Martin Place Stations, the latter being on the line that you’d take if you were going to the beach at Bondi. The Sydney Recital Hall is also a 2 minute walk away. This is a a far better venue for classical music concerts than the Opera House, as its much more comfortable and has a great acoustic.

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Hotel at the Rocks just for one night pre-cruise, can't wait to see Ovation come into dock from the hotel. Not cheap but just a little cheaper than Rome $100@ pn for 4 adults sharing. Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
jamrockgirl, we stayed a the Shangri La Hotel.

Keith

We stayed there last year and it was fabulous. I forget the room number we were in, but we booked a Deluxe Grand Harbour View. We got lucky and they put us up on the 24th floor when that category usually only goes up to the 21st floor. The view was unbelievable. We had a direct view of the bridge, harbour and the Opra House. It was well worth the money.

Keith1010, and/or others, would you recommend the Shangri La over other hotels in the area? What are the best reasons to book the Shangri La compared to the Four Seasons in Sydney? This is not our first trip to Sydney so would love to hear what you have to share about the hotel and ease of getting around Sydney. Thank you.

Keith1010, and/or others, would you recommend the Shangri La over other hotels in the area? What are the best reasons to book the Shangri La compared to the Four Seasons in Sydney? This is not our first trip to Sydney so would love to hear what you have to share about the hotel and ease of getting around Sydney. Thank you.

We loved it and in fact so much we are going to stay there again next year.

We did have a suite but either way if you can get a room with the club floor lounge I would recommend it. Views are wonderful.

It is located near the rocks so lots to walk to.

We used Uber often to get around when we needed transport in lieu to taxis.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Check out the small Russell Hotel. Right across the stteet from the ferry and cruise ship terminals. Almost under the bridge. Great area to walk around the harbor at night

thank you for mentioning the russell. i'm booked for two nights in october. the invictus games are in sydney when i'm there, and the shangri la is $662 CAD per night!

• 1 month later...
We love staying at the Intercontinental Sydney. Close to gardens, opera house, etc. The club access rooms allow access to the lounge which I must say have some of the best views of the harbor.

With IHG card we have stayed at both Holiday Inn/Rocks and IC. Just used points and Free nights.

• 5 months later...

Christ! There are dozens of such questions and hundreds of answers in this board. 

Could you guys not just do a bit if simple search before asking the same thing over and over and over again?

• Like 1

buchhalm, I'm not sure which question your response is related to, but most questions and answers on this thread are from early 2018 so I'm not sure why you appear to be frustrated by the questions. 

I wrote my question to Keith1010 as I have followed his blog and read many of his posts on this as well as other CC boards.  Because of that, the information that I get from him about his experiences is more relevant to me than reading what some other people have posted on CC.

Yes, I search threads to find out different opinions.  There are various reasons that I would ask for an opinion on this or other threads.  For example, I am interested in updated information, "knowing" a poster and his/her previous opinions, realizing that someone who says a hotel room is huge is often an opinion based on where the person lives rather than what I would consider the size of the room, etc.  

• Like 2