TIp for solo cruisers

IslandThyme

I was talking with Steve from the trip insurance store, and he gave me a great tip. If traveling alone, go to the purser`s office when you get on board and give them a copy of your travel insurance policy. That way, if anything happens to you (heaven forfend) there is someone on board who knows your coverage.

I would have never thought of that on my own.

Sorry for the title typo - looks like there's no way to edit it.

Not sure I agree with this suggestion. Going to the ship's Front Desk/Purser's Office and giving such information to the staff member, I can almost hear them say "what am I supposed to do with this".

I'd suggest trying to see if the ship's Medical Office would accept the insurance coverage information. And, if not, keep your copy of the policy and ID cards in your stateroom's safe so that it can be obtained if needed. Even if you are unable to tell a staff member the combination to your safe, they will still be able to get into it if required.

Hi, I agree with the safe suggestion.....not sure about which cruiseline and/or ship it would be but the mass market lines, with 1,000's and 1,000's of guests? I have to wonder if they want to be responsible for something like that......now, maybe the luxury lines with only a few hundred guests would be more apt to help in that capacity but I would still say that type of paperwork should just stay in your safe.

Of course you do have the option of asking if they will keep your paperwork....all they can say is no.

If anything goes wrong healthwise, the first place a first responder, doctor, nurse, etc. will look is your wallet/purse. I keep a note of the Insurer and their emergency contact details there, along with my prescription for my medication so they can see what's wrong with me, the medication I'm on, and obviously who to contact in an emergency such as insurers.

• 1 month later...
If anything goes wrong healthwise, the first place a first responder, doctor, nurse, etc. will look is your wallet/purse. I keep a note of the Insurer and their emergency contact details there, along with my prescription for my medication so they can see what's wrong with me, the medication I'm on, and obviously who to contact in an emergency such as insurers.

Yup my iphone has the Health ap with the Medical ID that is accessible by emergency service workers even when the phone is locked. It shows Medical conditions, medications, allergies, blood type, and the fact that I am an organ donor.

When I am travelling - I edit it to add my Travel Insurance company, phone number and policy number; and I add some names and contact numbers for my own doctor, my employer, and a couple of other relevant people.

Yup my iphone has the Health ap with the Medical ID that is accessible by emergency service workers even when the phone is locked. It shows Medical conditions, medications, allergies, blood type, and the fact that I am an organ donor.

When I am travelling - I edit it to add my Travel Insurance company, phone number and policy number; and I add some names and contact numbers for my own doctor, my employer, and a couple of other relevant people.

Hmm.. great tip! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
Make a copy of the policy and email to a trusted person and to yourself. Do the cruise lines still ask for emergency contact info?

Yes, the lines I have sailed do......actually when you fill out your paperwork on line, there is normally a field to fill out for "emergency contact" so the cruise line should have it when you are on board (as long as the person filled it out).