Junkanoo Beach / Tiki Bikini Hut

Angel Dust

We are sailing on the Carnival Dream June 17th out of NOLA and are looking for things to do on our own in Nassau, Bahamas. We ran across Junkanoo Beach and Tiki Bikini Hut and read that it's in walking distance from the ship. Has anyone been there? It is a safe walk? Is there things to see along the way? ....and would you recommend this stop with a 10 year old boy?

Try the ports of call boards - you will find lots of information. It is a nice public beach about a mile to the right (once you exit the ship). There are tons of brightly colored food shacks and drink places that you can get some local food and flavor. We have never had an issue going there. You could also combine that with a stop at Adastra Gardens and the Fort if you are really up for some walking. Its easy enough to get a cab or take the bus.

We went there in 2015 and had a great time. You basically go out of the port area, and head past Senor Frogs and then the Colonial Hilton. The Bikini Tiki hut is closer to the street than the beach, although they will rent you chairs. We grabbed a sofa near the bar and took advantage of their Wi-Fi. At the time we were able to get a coconut filled with frozen drinks, with unlimited refills for $20. All the employees were engaging, it was kind of like being at a family beach party. I'm not rushing back to Nassau, but I'm sure we'll check them out again when we get back that way.

We were just there back in February. Easy walk. Chair rental and drink packages were reasonable. We brought out 13 year old and he had a great time. saw lots of families. Never felt the least bit unsafe. You do have to deal with a few walk up vendors and such, but it's not a hassle or anything.

Easy free beach, very walkable from ship (nothing really to see along the way) but shops and a McDonalds. The beach itself is not a fantastic beach, but has nice water but I needed water shoes. However, there is a ton of action at this beach, everyone is friendly and for $20 you can get 2 chairs, 4 beers and a a few shots. For $30 you can get unlimited. It’s very inexpensive. Beach games, band, tons of action!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just got back from Nassau yesterday. First time to Junkanoo, decent beach (for free). Water nice and clear, but very helpful to have water shoes. Beach has large rocks (helpful for weighing down blankets). The initial surf has rough shells for a couple of feet, unlike say Bermuda. We had 6 year old daughter with us, walk is safe. Can also walk a block in off the pier then turn right, walking thru shops on way to Junkanoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Have been twice. Second time was May 2017 when they were building a bigger bar. It is walking distance, about a 15 minute walk I would guess. No one bothered us either time. The second visit I got the feeling they didn't want you walking directly up to their "bar" to get your own drinks....maybe because they had to actually show they were putting liquor in them since all the other "shots" they gave us tasted like watered down KoolAid. Stick with the beer....you know what you're getting.

We went in January and it was much more of a party atmosphere at Tiki Bikini Hut. Maybe because school was in session? There was a twerking contest for the females. Lol. Maybe the atmosphere is seasonal, but I don't think I would have brought my kids there.