Requesting a solo dining experience the first night on HAL cruise

gailellen12

Hi everyone - I will be traveling solo on the Zuiderdam this summer. I would like my first night dinner in the dining room to be a solo experience. I have two very long flights and think I will be too tired to make conversation. Can a reserve a two table before the cruise or when I first get on the ship? I will become more sociable the next day - I promise! PS I have open plan dining

If you're not doing a specific seating (early/late) and doing "open dining" where you can eat whenever you want, you should have no problem requesting a table for 1. I was told I didn't need to make reservations -- just show up at the maitre de's stand and ask to be seated. The maitre de ask if I'd like to share a table -- at that point, I was fine with it. But in your case, you would just say no, you prefer to eat alone -- and if there's an empty 2-person table available, I'm pretty sure they'd seat you. If a table isn't available, you may need to wait a bit, but the maitre de would tell you if that's the case and how long you might have to wait. And of course, you can always call and make reservations ahead if you want. Just saying it may not be necessary.

I was exhausted the first night of my Alaska cruise last September (my first cruise ever), so I opted for room service instead and hit the sack about 9:00 pm. After that, it was main dining room or Canaletto for the remaining nights. (I was on the Amsterdam.)

Enjoy your cruise!

Lana in Bellingham, WA

If you have anytime it shouldn't be a problem, maybe a short wait.

If you have fixed dining, your best bet may be to head to the Lido.

Roz