Which cabin on Britannia ?

Milly2010

We are planning a fjords cruise on the Britannia in September. Is it worth paying extra for a suite or better value to just go for a delux cabin. Have been offered front corner suite on C deck ..think C107.. Any recommendations or tips on which cabins/decks to avoid would be appreciated. :D

The problem with suites is the cruise after this one. Unless you can sustain booking suites throughout, then on your next cruise you might likely be thinking about all the things that are not there on that one. If you can afford suites throughout then P&O only sail to a limited range of destinations and I would look further afield.

Britannia has relatively smaller balconies than Azura/Ventura, so getting a better balcony in itself makes sense to me. I should not go for a suite myself. The other things that come with it are not going to make my cruise that much better if at all. I would sooner look at the next cruise and go somewhere more exotic.

Regards John

I'd agree that (as it once was with colour television and air conditioning in cars) once you've had a suite it's difficult to go back to what you were originally happy with before you had the suite.

Having said that, it is a much nicer way of travelling - if you get the right suite. For me, that's one of the large aft suites - but not on Britannia because of the much discussed soot problems. I don't like the idea of soot all over the balcony, and I certainly don't like the idea of breathing it in unconsciously.

I also don't like the idea of the staircase problems on Britannia, and I've ruled it out altogether for the time being. If I were going to the fjords again I'd choose another ship - there's plenty of choice.

Superior deluxe cabins are quite spacious. They have a dividing curtain that can be pulled across to make a bedroom and a sitting room.

Because they have a bath, even if you don't use it, the bathroom is bigger than a standard balcony cabin.

We spoke to someone on an aft corner cabin on E deck and they had loved. To the left looking down from F729. They said that there was very little noise from the live lounge and not a lot of soot. Amazing views. Not sure what others think.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

We had an aft suite with a corner balcony on Britannia to the Fiords last year and it was amazing. The ability to see such a large vista was really beneficial in the fiords where hours are spent with scenery visible rather than just the sea and the horizon. They also widen in the middle to make the sun lounger you get a viable item. The suites on Britannia are also well arranged and have great bathrooms. Perks are nothing to write home about but embarkation/disembarkation priority and, if you have to, tender priority are hugely valuable on ship so large.

Suites on the sides are nice cabins and equally well appointed ( had one of these to the med) but the balconies are narrow and no space to use a sun lounger properly.

Front corner suite will be breezy on the balcony when you are at sea but the speeds in the fiords will be very low so should not be an issue for watching the mountains and villages go by. Also if you are at the front of the ship then soot will clearly not be a problem. ( From our experience it IS a problem on the rear of the ship but you just have to manage it and the benefits outweigh the soot IMHO.)

Suites, as has been said, are addictive, which is a drain on the pocket however P&O's offer is not so slick that you cannot go back to 'ordinary cabins' - we are doing that this year!

Now Celebrity however, that's an entirely different proposition, we would struggle to book an ordinary cabin after benefitting from their suite perks without feeling we were 'missing something'.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your replies and advice.

I also want your advice and opinions on whether it is worthwhile booking to go to The Retreat on sea days, or is it only advisable on cruises where the climate is hot.

In my opinion the Retreat is very much a hot weather facility. The attraction is having a reserved place to sit in the sun or at least outside on a fine day when the decks are crowded.

In my experience the Retreat (and its equivalent the Sanctuary on its sister line Princess) usually pretty empty on a colder cruise. Having said that perhaps it is different on Britannia?

I am sailing on her next week to the Baltic so I will be able to see for myself. We are planning to use the Hydrotherapy / Thermal Suite which is I understand £25 a day and of which I have heard good reports. Maybe this could be another option?

In my opinion the Retreat is very much a hot weather facility. The attraction is having a reserved place to sit in the sun or at least outside on a fine day when the decks are crowded.

In my experience the Retreat (and its equivalent the Sanctuary on its sister line Princess) usually pretty empty on a colder cruise. Having said that perhaps it is different on Britannia?

I am sailing on her next week to the Baltic so I will be able to see for myself. We are planning to use the Hydrotherapy / Thermal Suite which is I understand £25 a day and of which I have heard good reports. Maybe this could be another option?

Forgot to say we are in a side suite B623 when we sail next week. Will be happy to report back.

By the way I read somewhere that the front suites on Britannia are better protected from the wind than some other ships.

Thank you Berlingo for your response.

I thought that might be the case with regards to the retreat but the thermal suite definitely sounds like a good alternative.

That would be great if you would let me know how you find it on your cruise.

Have a great cruise and thanks again for your feed back.

The one thing that has not been mentioned yet is your breakfast arrangements. As you are in a suite you can go to the Epicurean which is a very refined way to start the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes daiB. I've read reviews but is it waiter service or is there a help yourself buffet?...either way ..we are looking forward to it. [emoji3]
Waiter service of course. And very good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app