Sailing into Milford Sound

robtbob

Say it isn't so. Just heard that big ships have just recently been banned from entering Milford Sound because of environmental concerns. Does any one know if this is true? I was looking forward to this in Feb 2019 on Ovation of the Seas.:loudcry:

Just heard that big ships have just recently been banned from entering Milford Sound because of environmental concerns.
A friend just came back and told me. Said it just happened.
Milford Sound or Marlborough Sounds?

The only reference I have found is a ban on cruise ships going through the Tory Channel in the Marlborough Sounds. This channel is narrow and fast flowing and is only used by the Interisland ferries .Azamara Quest hit a rock when she went though a few years ago and that has led to the ban. Cruise ships will still sail the sound and use the main channel, a bit longer but more scenic.

As for Milford Sound....that is in Fiordland National Park and all cruise ships need a permit to enter.

It was Milford Sound NZ. Someone just came back from there.
If it really is about Milford Sound, it's very curious that there's apparently no news whatsoever about this to be found online. I would expect it to be a high-profile decision, if it was taken.

In contrast, several of us have found the recent news about a much less interesting event concerning Marlborough Sounds.

• 2 weeks later...