Seabourn complimentary jacket for Alaska cruises?

Jim Avery

I have received a booking for a complimentary jacket/parka for our upcoming Sojourn Alaska cruise. Any insight on this jacket? Trying to determine what (if anything) to delete from our packing list based on what this jacket is like. Thanks for any info.:cool:

Interesting. For some reason I assumed the SB jacket would just be a waterproof shell w/hood. So is packing a separate fleece layer redundant and unnecessary? IOW, will a base layer, shirt and SB jacket be sufficient for anything other than truly unseasonably cold weather? TIA

It all depends on how susceptible you are to cold and what weather you encounter. All I’m saying is that in many ports during our July Alaska cruise last year I did not use the Seabourn jacket. And as I am from Arizona and my blood is rather thin I do get cold rather easily. As we went hiking for a week prior to the cruise out of Girdwood (near Anchorage) I had my own North Face rain jacket that was fine for most temps when it was raining or misting with just zip top underneath.

This Alaska jacket is quite different from the two piece jacket (waterproof outer shell and inner layer puffer jacket) that we received on the Antarctica cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I loved the jacket. They run a little big. I wore a small and DH a large.

With the jacket sizing they do give you a chance, I think the first morning, to exchange your jacket for a different size. My husband and I had to do this and it was quick and painless to do so.

Julie

I have received a booking for a complimentary jacket/parka for our upcoming Sojourn Alaska cruise. Any insight on this jacket? Trying to determine what (if anything) to delete from our packing list based on what this jacket is like. Thanks for any info.:cool:

I received one on the Sojourns Trans Pacific cruise. You'll end up looking like a smurfy blueberry. The arms have somewhat OK insulation - the body not so much. Mine was OK for water protection, however there was one woman on the ship who was soaked as hers was as waterproof/resistant as tissue paper.

Aside from that there were two other issues: It's not goretex so it can get humid in the pockets (eg: things that are paper and in the pockets for long periods of time will come out soaked/damp) also don't believe their sizing. They claim it runs +1 size. IME it was actual size.

Just to be clear - and I just looked at the jacket again to be sure - the sleeves and the body of the jacket have the same grey fleece lining. So unless they changed the jacket design and construction this year over what was provided last year I don’t understand Emperor Norton’s comment “the arms have somewhat OK insulation- the body not so much.” Anyway, as I said earlier I felt the jacket was much too warm for most of our July cruise - May or September might be a different story.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like a good jacket. I am with you on July being warm (for AK) as I used to work ships up there years ago. So I don't plan on taking a warm jacket, just a light one along with sport coat etc.:cool: