Rangitoto Island or Waiheke Island

We will be arriving one day prior to our cruise and are hoping to head directly to either Rangitoto Island or Waiheke Island to spend the night and return the next day to board our ship.

Are the ferries to these islands any where near Princes where we will be boarding the ship?

Any help appreciated.

We will be arriving one day prior to our cruise and are hoping to head directly to either Rangitoto Island or Waiheke Island to spend the night and return the next day to board our ship.

Are the ferries to these islands any where near Princes where we will be boarding the ship?

Any help appreciated.

If you are intending to stay overnight on an Island it would have to be on Waiheke as there is nothing on Rangitoto . The ferries are next door to where your ship will dock and they run a regular service.

For accom on Waiheke check out Airb&b, they have a great range from backpackers to super luxury.

Before committing to the plan, it may be worth having a think about what you're planning to achieve on Waiheke and how you're going to do it - including what transport you're going to use to get about. That could have a bearing on how you're going to get to/from Waiheke. It makes sense to come back on the passenger ferry because that drops you off close to the cruise ship, but you need to work out the other moving parts too to make sure that the whole trip will work well.

Thanks for the comments....we continued to do research and make contacts on

Waiheke. (We quickly figured out there are not hotels on

Rangitoto!) One B&B we contacted said the issue will be that most all places will require a two night stay due to the weekend holiday. We totally understand that, and my guess is that this will turn into a day trip, but we are going to give it a try just in case we are able to find somewhere. (The one place already said closer to the date they may be able to fit us in for one night.)

Also...yes we have been thinking about what we want to achieve there. This sort of thing is not new to us, we often head towards small islands, we typically find them of interest to us. We will not be interested in anything else but walking around the 'town' area and spending a little time walking on the beach. Those two things seem very easy to do there...and there appears to be transportation available once there.

If we can't find a place to stay there, we will try to stay as close to Prince Wharf as possible, and just spend a day on the island.

If we can't find a place to stay there, we will try to stay as close to Prince Wharf as possible, and just spend a day on the island.

There is a Hilton right on Princes Wharf. You can't get any closer than that. ;)

Exactly and it's one hotel I quickly checked on...unfortunately they do not have any openings.

That's a shame. Try the Waldorf Stadium Apartment Hotel. It's a little further away, about four blocks I think, but very conveniently located with a large supermarket across the road for any last minute items.

I'm not sure what else is good these days close to Princes Wharf. There was some major development going on in the downtown Auckland area when we were there last year, not sure if it's finished yet.

I have been on a few cruises this season from auckland harbour , i stay at the MSocial hotel ,right opposite the ferry / cruise terminal .

The hotel is 4 1/2 star , rooms start at $ 215 , which is very cheap considering the location .

They have a late [noon] check out time & i usually sit in the coffee shop / bar & watch the passengers disembark for entertainment .

Takes less than 5 minutes to walk over to the ship .

Hope this helps .

I have been on a few cruises this season from auckland harbour , i stay at the MSocial hotel ,right opposite the ferry / cruise terminal .

The hotel is 4 1/2 star , rooms start at $ 215 , which is very cheap considering the location .

They have a late [noon] check out time & i usually sit in the coffee shop / bar & watch the passengers disembark for entertainment .

Takes less than 5 minutes to walk over to the ship .

Hope this helps .

I have looked at them and was impressed. Yes prices seem reasonable considering the location and date. Thanks