October Bermuda cruise from NYC

Missus_Aitch

Anyone taken the five-night October Bermuda cruise out of NYC? I would love to avoid flying to Florida, but I wonder if it is uncomfortably cold on this cruise, especially the sea days getting to and from Bermuda. Any thoughts? Thanks!

The concept of uncomfortably cold is an individual thing. The pools are heated, if that's what you are concerned about. We often need a jacket or sweater on deck at night. There is obviously a good breeze when the ship is moving. Bermuda has a tropical climate. If you are in the NY area, you know what that is like in the fall.

Anyone taken the five-night October Bermuda cruise out of NYC? I would love to avoid flying to Florida, but I wonder if it is uncomfortably cold on this cruise, especially the sea days getting to and from Bermuda. Any thoughts? Thanks!

This year is the first that Bermuda sailings have been offered on DCL, so no one will know for several months yet.

• 2 weeks later...
If there are no pools that are covered, I would pass.

Try the Anthem of the Seas or something else. Ships go out of Boston as well.

DCL has no covered pools. All the pools are heated, but again, people differ in their definition of how warm they like things to be. A cruise ship is not the place if you really like to swim. Even in October, the family and kids pools will be full. Sometimes you could swim laps in the adult pool, other times it will be crowded....although likely not in October on this cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Bermuda itself is supposed to be in the 70s during the day for our 10/13 Bermuda cruise, which is a bit too cool for us for any in-the-water stuff. It's not the water itself, necessarily, since it can be warm in the fall but the getting out and being hit by a cool breeze for us.

I'm planning on taking a light windbreaker for departure and arrival and just buy a logo sweatshirt if I need more.

It might be worth asking on the Bermuda board or on the boards of those lines that regularly cruise from NYC to Bermuda, such as NCL. I've noticed that most of the "close up shop" before the Magic starts its routes, which tells me something!

The 'shoulder' seasons for Bermuda can indeed have cooler days while at sea.

We sailed from NY in mid-May and temps on deck during the day while underway were cool (maybe 50's) with the sun out, but at night it was downright cold. It probably felt more like 35 degrees with the wind chill.

Once at Bermuda though, it was wonderful. Mid-70's and lots of warm sun.

The advantage in October is that the water temps are likely to be higher and therefore better for swimming on the island than they are in May.

The bigger concern for me would not be the temps on deck but the odds of diversion. October is usually the height of storm season in the Northeast with respect to hurricanes and tropical storms, and if the area around the Carolinas/Bermuda is under threat it can make for either a rougher trip to Bermuda or no Bermuda at all.

The 'shoulder' seasons for Bermuda can indeed have cooler days while at sea.

We sailed from NY in mid-May and temps on deck during the day while underway were cool (maybe 50's) with the sun out, but at night it was downright cold. It probably felt more like 35 degrees with the wind chill.

Once at Bermuda though, it was wonderful. Mid-70's and lots of warm sun.

The advantage in October is that the water temps are likely to be higher and therefore better for swimming on the island than they are in May.

The bigger concern for me would not be the temps on deck but the odds of diversion. October is usually the height of storm season in the Northeast with respect to hurricanes and tropical storms, and if the area around the Carolinas/Bermuda is under threat it can make for either a rougher trip to Bermuda or no Bermuda at all.

Wasn't there a NY departure last year that turned into a Canadian itinerary? Guess I ought to make sure I pack a "just in case" couple of shirts and jackets!

Dirk

Don't usually do this board but thought I might be able to help since I lived at the Jersey Shore for most of my life. A cruise out of NYC will definitely be iffy as far as weather. It could be 90degrees and beautiful or it could be 30 degrees. I believe it was two years ago we had a blizzard on Halloween. Don't know how many days the itinerary calls for going to Bermuda.